1st year Q: How much will this bitch cost? (1 Viewer)

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
How much is enrollment + college fees @ urs + misc?
Also, how much will the above cost at 1st class and at economy-type rates?

Thanks. First non-male to respond gets a free iButtsecks

omg_a

HSC
i'm not sure i understand your question,
but i'll attempt to answer.
enrolment is free-but you have to pay the GSF of $125 which is for semester 1 only, not sure after vsu comes in.
college fees-i think last year i had to payabout $1100 to confirm my place-that included 2 or 3 weeks rent, a refundable bond, Residents committe fee etc.

beyond that, look at uni accom for weekly rents at all the colleges. i think the UAS also gives a break down of common student costs. hope that helps

Wolfowitz

HSC
I was rather drunk when I posted the above, sorry :p.

I'll rephrase;

How much will enrollment and books cost for the first semester for a course like Comm/Law? I'm trying to work out how much I'll need. Accomodation's okay: I'll contract to pay rent fornightly, but everything else is a bit iffy atm.

So enrollment is free but half a term's union fees will be $125? Thanks.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Ok enrolment per sae is free. Compulsory union fees (General Services Fee - GSF) of $120 will cover first semester - after which point it becomes voluntary.

Getting you arse into a hall/college will cost ~1000 (+ for catered).

Budget at least $500 for books in first semester - law is a killer as far as books go, they are fundamental to the course, there are lots of them and they cost a small fortune.

Wolfowitz

HSC
I figured law books would be X-ey.
But do you know how much Comm books would be? Similar to your Eco ones?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Comm you should only need two and I'm guessing you'd be looking at 150-200 for them.

Wolfowitz

HSC
Well that's affordable.
Seems like I've got enough for a new, CS: S-enabled lappy :)

Thanks for your help.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Luckily I have enough grog with me to last one night. Although, that is still 6 nights unaccounted for. Haha!

I think I have enough money saved to last me until the semester break. Schweeet.

cimbom

HSC
What about textbooks? I know you can get second- hand textbooks... and then sell them, especially when you're only going to be using them for one semester. Does the co- op bookshop only really sell brand- new textbooks? Like, is it totally necessary to have new textbooks when i don't know about you... but all the way through school the only brand- new textbook i got through school was Leading Edge Economics 2005? Do many people actually purchase new textbooks, when they may only need to use them a few times in the semester?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cimbom said:
What about textbooks? I know you can get second- hand textbooks... and then sell them, especially when you're only going to be using them for one semester. Does the co- op bookshop only really sell brand- new textbooks? Like, is it totally necessary to have new textbooks when i don't know about you... but all the way through school the only brand- new textbook i got through school was Leading Edge Economics 2005? Do many people actually purchase new textbooks, when they may only need to use them a few times in the semester?
It really depends upon what subjects you do. For example, science textbooks are good value for money. They have nice hard covers, nice illustrations and they're the kind of books that you'll use for ages. The same goes for languages. If you're doing law on the other hand, you can sometimes get away with old editions for subjects like foundations and you can sometimes get away with not buying the books at all. Colleges have libraries (at least Bruce and BG do) where you can borrow your textbooks and most if not all textbooks would be on 2 hour loan at the ANU library. Also, at the start of the year you'll be able to buy books from other students. There is also a second hand bookstore on campus.

Textbooks can be about $300 - $500. For law you should be able to get a second hand copy of Laying Down the Law (LDL ed 6) if you're lucky from those who studied Foundations of Australian Law in second semester. Do not bother getting Tradition and Change in Australian Law (TCAL ed 3) as it's useless. I don't know if a new Torts textbook is out, but I assume there might be a different textbook because the one we used in 2005 was from 2002. If it's still the 2002 edition then you should be able to grab it for like $40. Don't know about commerce, but I'm sure there will be second hand books around.
There was a free supplement online which covered wrongful birth etc up to the start of 2005.

Last edited:

omg_a

HSC
you can get away with second hand textbooks fine if the edition hasn't changed. however, if the edition has changed, it's a pain in the arse, all the page refs are wrong, in law subjects the actual law can have changed, new cases etc which old textbooks don't mention. so i would say get the new edition, you'll probably be able to sell it the year after anyway to redeem half your money.

and first semester, my text books were probably $300 total, and all new, so it wasn 't too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)