2006 Speech Writers! (1 Viewer)

deepism

HSC
Is anyone out there doing speeches??
Or has anyone out there done speeches?

Because i'd like some help and someone to talk to about what markers are looking for and some tips/advice

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
speeches as in the Lincoln, Pearson etc.???
Well, if so, it's a good idea to do some linking. For example, Pearson, similar to Lincoln focuses on the ..etc. Always important to use a lot of language techniques, and try to get top notes study guide for speeches (i think that's what its' called, the one with the purple red cover). You also have to give readings of your speech, and i think you have to give ur own reading (not sure about this, but it might be crucial so ask ur teacher).
The fact that they may specify any of the speeches, means that you prob need to learn all the speeches. Prob the best way to do this is to go to tutoring so you cover it twice, pre-uni is pretty good (the teacher is Mrs Prescott, she's very good)

deepism

HSC
no i'm not talking about speeches for 2u english.

i'm talking about the medium speeches in ext 2 english!

someone please reply!

adam4th

HSC
I was going to do speeches this year however i decided to switch to writing a Drama Script, what exactly is it that you need help with?

There is loads and loads of information on these forums, indeed in these very forums.

I know there are archives also, but i cant seem to find them at the moment.

In terms of what the markers are looking for...

Is your idea a strong one?
Do you speak in different tones of voice? Are there different speakers?
Is it entertaining? Is it appealing?
When you read it to people, are they willing to listen? Not just because you are their daughter and they need to listen!!

Making it worthwhile listening with a thoughtful concept probably rate high on the list.

Remember to read your syllabus also!!

Last edited:

edensmells

HSC
Hey dude,
Im doing E2 this year and originally i chose to do speeches but changed a couple of days ago, oops getting a little bit late. Umm well my teacher kept telling me to research rhetoric which is basically how to make language persuasive. The more i read i was like oh crap this is wasnt what i was thinking. When your writing a speech it is best you dont go psyco with your vocab but you are to use lots of metaphors and similies so you paint a picture in the audiences mind. Also, whist delievring with passion and all that you have to put pauses in their somewhere otherwise it will be too overwhelming, give them time to think. The best thing i can say is that speeches is not an essay where you try and make it complicated with big words and techniques and stuff. There is a speech by Emma Goldman called 'the political criminal of today must needs be the saint of the new age'- its easy to read and a really good speech. Socrates 'no evil can happen' is again another veyr helpful speech.

Start reading speeched, doesnt matter what and time yourself so you can get an idea of how much too write.

The best book ive read in a long time, is by Chester Porter Qc- 'the simple art of persuasion, how to argue effectively.' It is written so simply and basically spells out how to write a speech and what not to do. The best book i seriously urge you to read it, anyone doing speeches get hold of this book.

Umm what else, research rhetoric thats the main thing!!!! It reveal alot- oh aristotle wrote stuff on rhetoric that was heaps good.

Remember it is not an essay, and you will get marked down big time if u write one. This is more of a research and performance task than a writing one, try and keep that in mind cause the fact your doing 4 unit suggests you can write so doing the background work...

If you wanna talk more email me at grant_blake@hotmail.com

cheers mate, feel free to chat and ask questions

aMJp

HSC
Hello deepism - i'm doing speeches for 4u english this year too. You sound as desperate to talk to somebody about it as I am! What are you doing your speech on?
I have a pretty firm idea of what it is I want to talk about in my speech(s), but it is now the Easter break and I have not begun, I'm finding it very difficult to put pen to paper and actually write something.
If you would like to chat about it/bounce ideas off one another/stress out, then just do so in this thread and perhaps we can help one another...if not, well good luck any way!

uwouldnotdare

HSC
Hey dudes and dudettes hahahaha Extension 2 is almost over yay... omg i so have to record but i don't care hahahahahahhahahahahahaha sorry the tiredness i hate the hsc!

Extension two speeches are ok though kinda fun :)

goodluck everyone :)

uwouldnotdare

HSC
btw i'm doing technology and stuff :p and yes i have finished my reflection statement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)