2007 Federal Budget (1 Viewer)

banco55

HSC
I thought the university future fund was a good idea but the money should be given individually to unis as seed money for endowments. Harvard has US$20 billion endowment. They should encourge alumni to contribute by promising to match their donations 1 to 1 or 2 to 1.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Harvard is the richest university in the world. I think you'll find for a university of the size and age of Melbourne or Sydney $1bn isn't bad.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
A solid budget, that is quite responsible (even Wayne Swan agreed with that). Not too elaborate (but elaborate enough) that provides the government with a base from which it can launch its election campaign later in the year..

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Sharon Burrow is on the ABC. Why?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
frog12896- of course! It's an election year and the government wants more votes.

John Howard denies that this budget won't greatly influence the way voters will decide who to vote for.

Budget won't turn polls around, PM warns his MPs

Speaking of tax cuts!

Tax cuts a centrepiece of Costello's 12th
Under the changes, a wage earner on $25,000 annually will pick up about $2.88 a week, while one on $35,000pa will benefit by about $21 a week.
The poor workers on $25000 a year get $2.88?? :eek:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
They want the reaction of unions to the budget, presumably.
She fucking stupid. She just mentioned it will be like the 70's where no one dreams of going to universities except the élite because of the removal of DFEE caps. Uh, no, the number of HECS places is going to stay them same.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Sparcod said:
frog12896- of course! It's an election year and the government wants more votes.
And the ALP will not prescribe to that idea at all..

kokodamonkey

HSC
Wayne swan look preety pathetic afterwards... talk about grasping for straws...

I am proud of the result that strong years of economic management by the Howard government has rewarded. Especially in relation to tax cuts atb.

banco55

HSC

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
kokodamonkey said:
Wayne swan look preety pathetic afterwards... talk about grasping for straws...
Agreed.
Byran Palmer at Ozpolitics.info:

All I can say is that the Budget was either Peter Costello’s political master stoke or Wayne Swan is a fathoms out of his depth.

Which ever way that assessment runs, Swan appeared unable to land a punch in tonight’s Budget postmortem on the ABC. His only line of attack was to accuse the government of stealing Labor’s good ideas, and some mindless mantra about budgeting for the future.

Swan appeared to be in screaming agreement with all of the big ticket announcements — an education fund, childcare, and low to middle income tax cuts. He could not even bring himself to say that the extra spending power for punters was inflationary (which it must be).

As my daughter would say, it’s a lame insult to say the government is clever. But it is okay, Kevin Rudd is a fiscal conservative too. I mean really, is that the best Swan can do?

Tony Jones’ disbelief in Swan’s performance was palpable. Michael Brissenden was completely bemused.

I was flabbergasted.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Robbeh said:
Palmer is getting destroyed in his comments to that post...
http://www.ozpolitics.info/blog/2007/05/08/budget/all-comments/#comments
By typical bloggers who tend to be the 'intellectuals' of the left..

Palmer has a point, and Wayne Swans basic grasp of economic logic seemed absent. It's disconcerting that his talk of a 'surplus' is confined to an 'average over the economic cycle'.. why Lindsay Tanner is not shadow treasurer I'll never know (even with his baggage)..

I doubt the budget will have any impact on future poll results, and despite recent events we should expect a fairly solid budget reply. Kevin Rudd is not Mark Latham.. the election definitely won't be before September..

Last edited:

Lorie

HSC
Well it is a strange situatation for the oppoisition. In a way it's what they have been trying to get the governement to do by ways of education and health. I can't see it having to much impact on the polls. Any tax cuts are merely counted out by the rate increases late last year and possible ones later this year.

Will be interesting to see how Rudd responds.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
frog12986 said:
By typical bloggers who tend to be the 'intellectuals' of the left..
Actually, some seem more like swinging voters who are fed up with the Libs.

banco55 said:
They pay less tax so they get a smaller tax cut.
That's not the case all the way through.
Those who earn $35000 get $21.
Those who earn $60000 get $14.42.

Very irregular.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Sparcod said:
Actually, some seem more like swinging voters who are fed up with the Libs.

Yeah, all those people who say:

- 'I voted for them the past three times, this time they're gone'

-'I'm a swinging voter, and they've lost my vote'

They're not party stooges (on both sides) attempting to satisfy a political mood at all..

If the blogs were anything to go by, the ALP should have lost the NSW State Election..

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Can you not go half a post without your incredibly lame, partisian, pseudo-political hack type posts?

Budget seems kinda cool. The university funding business has pleased me quite a bit, and I haven't really bothered to look into it much further. I'll guess I'll read about it in the newspaper tommorow for a bit more depth.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)