#welcome #general-chat (2 Viewers)

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Hey! I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how they plan to tackle subjects like mine. Next year I will be doing: English Extension 1, Legal Studies, Modern History, Biology, Math Standard, Business Studies.

Thanks!
I'm not sure myself about all the subjects, haven't been fully informed because I haven't started myself yet. I know some people who have done a few of these subjects you have listed so I'll do my best to briefly explain your subjects.

- Math Standard ~ shouldn't be too hard if you like applying math to more practical situations. I guess just the basic tips on math like reading the question carefully and making sure you've got concise calculations will help out in the long run.

- Biology ~ Hardly any practical experiments, a bit fun though if you would like to learn more about the science of, well, basically us and the environment around us.

- Business Studies ~ Good for a bit more insight into the business world but it's all rote learning.

Unfortunately, I can only try to describe those 3 but I hope you can find someone who's doing similar subjects to you and who should be able to give you a better overview of your subjects :)

boombaboom

HSC
Thoughts on these subjects:
Eng Advanced
Chemistry
Physics
Business Studies
Maths Extension 1
SOR 1

I'm stuck on deciding whether I should do Maths Advanced + Economics, OR Maths Extension 1 + SOR 1. I'm aiming for a 95 plus ATAR. I did alright on Advanced Maths last year (averaged 75%). How hard is 3U maths?

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Thoughts on these subjects:
Eng Advanced
Chemistry
Physics
Business Studies
Maths Extension 1
SOR 1

I'm stuck on deciding whether I should do Maths Advanced + Economics, OR Maths Extension 1 + SOR 1. I'm aiming for a 95 plus ATAR. I did alright on Advanced Maths last year (averaged 75%). How hard is 3U maths?
3U math is just harder applications of the same stuff you do in 2U Advanced, + extra topics.

boombaboom

HSC
3U math is just harder applications of the same stuff you do in 2U Advanced, + extra topics.
Alright. Is it very difficult to understand/do well in. How's the scaling like? What's the average raw mark for a E4?

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Alright. Is it very difficult to understand/do well in. How's the scaling like? What's the average raw mark for a E4?
Depends on your aptitude and confidence in your mathematics. Math Extension 1 scales up there with some of the much higher scaling subjects. Don't know the average mark for an E4 though.

idkkdi

HSC
Business Studies for no brain.
Economics for little brain.
Chem for medium brain.
Physics for >medium brain.
3U math for big brain.
4U math for massive brain.

boombaboom

HSC
Depends on your aptitude and confidence in your mathematics. Math Extension 1 scales up there with some of the much higher scaling subjects. Don't know the average mark for an E4 though.
I think I'll give 3U a go! Can always drop if it gets too difficult!

Forever21

HSC
I'm not sure myself about all the subjects, haven't been fully informed because I haven't started myself yet. I know some people who have done a few of these subjects you have listed so I'll do my best to briefly explain your subjects.

- Math Standard ~ shouldn't be too hard if you like applying math to more practical situations. I guess just the basic tips on math like reading the question carefully and making sure you've got concise calculations will help out in the long run.

- Biology ~ Hardly any practical experiments, a bit fun though if you would like to learn more about the science of, well, basically us and the environment around us.

- Business Studies ~ Good for a bit more insight into the business world but it's all rote learning.

Unfortunately, I can only try to describe those 3 but I hope you can find someone who's doing similar subjects to you and who should be able to give you a better overview of your subjects :)
Thank you so much, this was really helpful!! Ill keep a look out for others with similar subjects :)

HSC
Any advice for someone taking 3 science subjects?
People are always so shocked when I tell them my subjects and they quite often respond,
"How are you gonna manage?"/ "Aren't your subjects too heavy?/"you're gonna struggle!"

I mean I think I'm fine with my subjects but I don't know what's it's going to be like with tuition h/w, school h/w, assignments/assessments etc.
Any advice on how I should manage my time?
Btw my subjects are;
- Maths Adv
- Maths Ex 1
- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Eng Adv
- PDHPE

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Any advice for someone taking 3 science subjects?
People are always so shocked when I tell them my subjects and they quite often respond,
"How are you gonna manage?"/ "Aren't your subjects too heavy?/"you're gonna struggle!"

I mean I think I'm fine with my subjects but I don't know what's it's going to be like with tuition h/w, school h/w, assignments/assessments etc.
Any advice on how I should manage my time?
Btw my subjects are;
- Maths Adv
- Maths Ex 1
- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Eng Adv
- PDHPE
If you pick up 4u maths really Eng Adv, MX2, Phys, Chem are like the standard combination of subjects for a lot of students in Selective schools. Of course you would want to drop 2 subjects if you pick up 4u maths leaving you on 10 units, so it's not really that bad. I know a lot of people that did 3 sciences WITH 4u maths and they did quite well. It all just depends on how you manage your time between the 3 sciences as typically it takes quite some time to refine your long responses and also memorize content.

Last edited:
HSC
If you pick up 4u maths really Eng Adv, MX2, Phys, Chem are like the standard combination of subjects for a lot of students in Selective schools. Of course you would want to drop 2 subjects if you pick up 4u maths leaving you on 10 units, so it's not really that bad. I know a lot of people that did 3 sciences WITH 4u maths and they did quite well. It all just depends on how you manage your time between the 3 sciencess typically it takes quite some time to refine your long responses and also memorize content.
I was thinking of doing the same thing but i don't want to drop my science and do a subject i don't like in yr 11, plus if i don't do well in the first term of yr 11 i'll have to drop the science worst compared to the rest. Like they'll be watching everyone doing 3 sciences cause they think its too much lmao.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I was thinking of doing the same thing but i don't want to drop my science and do a subject i don't like in yr 11, plus if i don't do well in the first term of yr 11 i'll have to drop the science worst compared to the rest. Like they'll be watching everyone doing 3 sciences cause they think its too much lmao.
I did all 3 sciences initially (dropped biology not because I wasn’t performing well but it was very boring to me and at the time I wasn’t sure about if I wanted to do a science degree so I picked up a hsie subject which I regretted after since I ended up doing some bio in my uni Chem courses so would’ve been easier having done the biology stuff previously) you will be fine if that’s what you are good in. It’s the same with every subject in that consistency is the most important in getting a good mark. I don’t particularly think in the new syllabus subjects like chemistry are that hard to study for now as in the past syllabus we would have to memorise so many useless society impact information, which now isn’t really there so you can just study chemistry by like doing practice questions rather than having to sit there memorising stuff

HSC
I did all 3 sciences initially (dropped biology not because I wasn’t performing well but it was very boring to me and at the time I wasn’t sure about if I wanted to do a science degree so I picked up a hsie subject which I regretted after since I ended up doing some bio in my uni Chem courses so would’ve been easier having done the biology stuff previously) you will be fine if that’s what you are good in. It’s the same with every subject in that consistency is the most important in getting a good mark. I don’t particularly think in the new syllabus subjects like chemistry are that hard to study for now as in the past syllabus we would have to memorise so many useless society impact information, which now isn’t really there so you can just study chemistry by like doing practice questions rather than having to sit there memorising stuff
oh kk thanks for the advice

foxxraven

HSC
Hello, just found this thread! I'm starting on 14U and then dropping whatever I like the least. (I originally wanted to do all these subjects minus geography, but my school made me pick up an extra subject to start off with so we can drop ext units if it's too much). I'm starting with 3U english, 3U maths, chem, legal, modern and geo. (I haven't figured out how to set a signature yet, will have to get onto that soon.) I like all my subjects (for now), which was a problem when deciding.

Anyway, I'm quite nervous for year 11 as I am not great at setting routines, etc. I just hope that I finally figure things out. I'm going to push myself to work harder.

I got my school timetable two days ago and it's terrifying to me how real this is all getting. Year 12 seemed so far off only a year ago, but now, in three terms time it will be starting... I have gotten a really good maths teacher and I really like both my english teachers. I've heard mixed things about my chem and modern teachers, but I'm not going to let that phase me. Both the geography and legal teachers are new.

Hope all of you guys are ready for y11, because I'm sure as hell not, lmao.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Hello, just found this thread! I'm starting on 14U and then dropping whatever I like the least. (I originally wanted to do all these subjects minus geography, but my school made me pick up an extra subject to start off with so we can drop ext units if it's too much). I'm starting with 3U english, 3U maths, chem, legal, modern and geo. (I haven't figured out how to set a signature yet, will have to get onto that soon.) I like all my subjects (for now), which was a problem when deciding.

Anyway, I'm quite nervous for year 11 as I am not great at setting routines, etc. I just hope that I finally figure things out. I'm going to push myself to work harder.

I got my school timetable two days ago and it's terrifying to me how real this is all getting. Year 12 seemed so far off only a year ago, but now, in three terms time it will be starting... I have gotten a really good maths teacher and I really like both my english teachers. I've heard mixed things about my chem and modern teachers, but I'm not going to let that phase me. Both the geography and legal teachers are new.

Hope all of you guys are ready for y11, because I'm sure as hell not, lmao.
Welcome to the thread!

I'm rather surprised you got your timetable as early as you did, I haven't gotten my Year 11 timetable yet which is unfortunate since I may have to wait until the teachers come back. Same experience here, thought Year 12 seemed very far off last year and now we're only 3 terms off it.

In terms of your statement about a routine, usually creating a specific study plan may not help some because of how they've created it. The moment you're flexible about your plan and say that you're going to do something else in the time you've allocated for study, the more temptation you have the next time to do the same thing. However, it is undoubtedly still important to set structure in your study and leisure time.
If I could suggest (if you are willing to commit to a study plan), maybe create some kind of plan this holidays where firstly you fill in all the times where you have commitments (sports training etc.) and where you'll have your leisure time. After that, fill your plan in with your study hours and make it fair on yourself so you don't get flustered or exhausted. Have 1 day where you don't do any study at all so you can have a day for yourself (probably weekends would be the best time). The other days, have varying study hours as some days at school may be more strenuous than others (e.g. 3 hours on Monday, 2 hours on Tuesday, and the 3-2 pattern follows to Friday). As you aren't at school on Saturday or Sunday, maybe 4 hours on one of those days would be suitable. Make sure you have some time to go for a walk or a jog as well to clear your mind after your study, or in the middle of your study if you're able to return to it quickly. And wham, that's basically your plan set up right there.

Good luck with everything and try not to stress this year! Maintaining positivity is vital during these important times of rigorous study.

foxxraven

HSC
Welcome to the thread!

I'm rather surprised you got your timetable as early as you did, I haven't gotten my Year 11 timetable yet which is unfortunate since I may have to wait until the teachers come back. Same experience here, thought Year 12 seemed very far off last year and now we're only 3 terms off it.

In terms of your statement about a routine, usually creating a specific study plan may not help some because of how they've created it. The moment you're flexible about your plan and say that you're going to do something else in the time you've allocated for study, the more temptation you have the next time to do the same thing. However, it is undoubtedly still important to set structure in your study and leisure time.
If I could suggest (if you are willing to commit to a study plan), maybe create some kind of plan this holidays where firstly you fill in all the times where you have commitments (sports training etc.) and where you'll have your leisure time. After that, fill your plan in with your study hours and make it fair on yourself so you don't get flustered or exhausted. Have 1 day where you don't do any study at all so you can have a day for yourself (probably weekends would be the best time). The other days, have varying study hours as some days at school may be more strenuous than others (e.g. 3 hours on Monday, 2 hours on Tuesday, and the 3-2 pattern follows to Friday). As you aren't at school on Saturday or Sunday, maybe 4 hours on one of those days would be suitable. Make sure you have some time to go for a walk or a jog as well to clear your mind after your study, or in the middle of your study if you're able to return to it quickly. And wham, that's basically your plan set up right there.

Good luck with everything and try not to stress this year! Maintaining positivity is vital during these important times of rigorous study.
Thank you so much, your advice is super helpful, and I'll keep this in mind! The flexible structure you suggested is a really good idea, I'll work on something similar. My school releases timetables weirdly early (in previous years they have even been released in December? It's very strange), but it's quite helpful.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
(I haven't figured out how to set a signature yet, will have to get onto that soon.)
Just click on your little profile pic at the top right corner and you'll see an option called signature.

foxxraven

HSC
Just click on your little profile pic at the top right corner and you'll see an option called signature.
I tried doing that but I don't see the option, I think it's because I'm still new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)