27/5/10 ACCG200 lecture's dispute? [full class cancelled, argument, security called] (1 Viewer)

blackrider89

HSC
I have heard there was a big dispute or argument in a lecture of Mr. Bill Blair due to lecture theatre overfill. Bill told the students sitting on the isles and the stairs to get out but they wouldn't (many shouted and claimed that they had enrolled in the lecture and had paid for it so no reason to leave). Then some students (local?) insulted and expressly wanted to beat them up. Bill had to call the security guys...

Have anyone here been in the lecture and can u tell me the accurate problem and what really happened there?

X

xeuyrawp

Re: Thursday 27/5/2010 ACCG200 lecture's dispute?

I have heard there was a big dispute or argument in a lecture of Mr. Bill Blair due to lecture theatre overfill. Bill told the students sitting on the isles and the stairs to get out but they wouldn't (many shouted and claimed that they had enrolled in the lecture and had paid for it so no reason to leave). Then some students (local?) insulted and expressly wanted to beat them up. Bill had to call the security guys...

Have anyone here been in the lecture and can u tell me the accurate problem and what really happened there?
Wow, that's pretty insane. As I see it, if a student is formally enrolled in a lecture, they have as much of a 'right' to be there as is possible with any consumer. That is to say, they really shouldn't (not can't) be kicked out.

It is the university's responsibility to ensure that students have a place to learn, otherwise they shouldn't be granted enrollment.

This is why as an institution Macquarie is -- and will continue to be -- a second-rate university. The VC does not -- nor never will -- understand the fact that a good university is treating the students you have with respect and support. It is not about enrolling more students to get more money. There is the infamous story that the VC's newest great plan was to over-enroll 'since students drop out anyway'. What a douche.

Personally, I would never throw students out of my class unless they were sitting on-top of each other. This bullshit about people sitting in stairs being a fire hazard is bullshit; it doesn't add any more time for evacuation than if the theatre had an extra row of seats in it.

Monstar

HSC

Macquarie is always a bit hit and miss. Some of the subjects im taking this semester are atrocious, some of them are excellent. Unfortunately, its normal a story of the bad outweighing the good.. that is to say when its bad, you definitely feel the pinch (stupidly hard midsems with high fail rates, staff whom are incompetent, normally its a dangerous combination of both!).

From saying that, I seriously rate macquarie as second rate as pwar said and I agree with all his points! just look at our final exam policy! Its almost better off you persevere even though your dying because the supplementary final is insanely hard! (they assume you have more time to study but reality is, if your unable to study during that time, you've shot yourself in the foot!). macquarie always seems so bureaucratic and pedantic, its fucking insulting at times.

my irrelevant rant. its 2am. im tired and stressed.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

VC: I find your lack of faith disturbing...*force grip*
Palpatine: Schwartz! Release him!

HSC

Everyone has their own little rant on Macquarie, especially when stressed lol. With exam policy and the ranking system, surely some things are not fair. Just like paying all this money on a new hospital, library etc and making students have their mid semester exams in a room with no table? *cough* t4 room in e4b.

On another point, according to OHS, occupational health and safety students cannot sit on the steps etc incase there is a fire etc.

The reason that lecture was full is because the other lecture available is on 7am on a Tuesday.... honestly who the hell would wake up at 4-5 on a winters morning when they can attend a Thursday arvo with Bill Blair?

With all that being said, students in any University have their own little rant on the uni they go to, its simply normal, nothings perfect.

Macquarie in the next couple of years will be ranked one of the top uni's in Australia, with the new libary, train station and hosptial surely the only thing that macquarie students lack and especially the international students is the lack of complaining.....

work on it.

Mathmatics85

HSC

I know OH&S is in place to make sure safety and what not, but how often does a fire break out at a lecture theatre? why not just keep the lecture going without asking to leave? it's the revision lecture and NOBODY would wanna miss out on that, and I see the complains by the stairs kids completely normal and reasonable although the beating up part is over the top.

Also, even if there was a fire, a lecture theater with 500 people without people sitting on the stairs and 550 people sitting on the stairs will make no fucking difference at all when it comes to escaping. it will all lead to the same degree of confusion and chaos, and same blockage of people at the doors.

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC

yeah, i was in it.
Bill insisted that people leave because of complaints made by other students of overcrowding and of above said reasons (fire hazard, OH%S etc)
No one really left, though. I decided to leave sinc ei thought i'd just i-lecture it. however, a mate called me back saying something hilarious was going on. I get back to see an indian international student demanding that he be allowed to stay in, and a local telling him tio fuck off. then the situation just kinda escalated, with the local guy about to get into a fight with the international. Security restrained them and Bill called off the lecture indefinitely.
So it ended up being a colossal waste for me, since i could've just gone home3 hours before (lecture was my last class).

Moral of the story: macq uni's gozlemes are shit. i'll buy 'em from macq centre.
mexican crepes are good, though.

X

xeuyrawp

Everyone has their own little rant on Macquarie, especially when stressed lol.
I'm pretty sure I've been hearing the same students say the same thing for years.

With all that being said, students in any University have their own little rant on the uni they go to, its simply normal, nothings perfect.
Yeah well see that's what's called a straw-man argument. I'm not claiming it should be perfect, nor that other unis are perfect. I'm saying that Macquarie is particularly terrible.

Macquarie in the next couple of years will be ranked one of the top uni's in Australia, with the new libary, train station and hosptial surely the only thing that macquarie students lack and especially the international students is the lack of complaining.....
The new library, train station, and hospital will not help boost Macquarie's rankings in the Australian or international rankings.

If you think it will, you either grossly overestimate what the library, train station, and hospital will do for the uni, or you don't understand the rankings, or both.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

Everyone has their own little rant on Macquarie, especially when stressed lol. With exam policy and the ranking system, surely some things are not fair. Just like paying all this money on a new hospital, library etc and making students have their mid semester exams in a room with no table? *cough* t4 room in e4b.

On another point, according to OHS, occupational health and safety students cannot sit on the steps etc incase there is a fire etc.

The reason that lecture was full is because the other lecture available is on 7am on a Tuesday.... honestly who the hell would wake up at 4-5 on a winters morning when they can attend a Thursday arvo with Bill Blair?

work on it.
Thats all well and good to say that it sounds like you're in one of the better funded schools.

Law for example had reduced teach hours, all the good staff are leaving because the pay is terrible and our resources are attriotious. They have limited elective choices to virtually nothing. Walk over to the EFS buildings or international students area and its like another world.

The university spends the money where it wants and neglect the rest. I think MQ is getting worse and worse, its disgusting how little they listen to students and how much we are paying for nothing.

Re: OHS, its true but seriously, if my parents can evacuate 29 2-5 year olds, it can be done! Besides, they need to be able to cater to the number of students enrolled.

HSC

Lmao I was in there, found it hilarious and stupid! I really felt there would be a giant revolt by all students when they cancelled the class and there was clapping and cheering and booing and filming like the parliament! I agree the Indian guy about the fee because it's the same for me but because of him, the whole lecture was cancelled. Plus this was the last HUGE topic that is examinable and it took me a while to read and understand before I could even start the HW.

I think although this unit has really good teaching staff, their admin is terrible. I mean this is the main lecture at a really good time while the others are one on Tuesday at 7 am and one on Monday at 6 pm. No-one ever turn up for those and they all try squeeze into this class.

This is in Mac theatre and every week it was overfilled up and most students sit at the back or along the aisles because Bill ALLOWED them. The problem only escalated because so many complained to Dean of Studies that they forced to Bill to cancel if they refused to leave. This would have never been a problem if it was dealt a lot earlier.

What I think they should have done is in my PSY104 lecture last year was get staff to mark a roll for the first two weeks and people should get the message and go to their enrolled lectures.

Done ranting.

HSC

Thats all well and good to say that it sounds like you're in one of the better funded schools.

The university spends the money where it wants and neglect the rest. I think MQ is getting worse and worse, its disgusting how little they listen to students and how much we are paying for nothing.
lol right

Point made by everyone, there has to be something done to make students have a say... what do we do?

To be honest and this is a big rant, Most students (Majority are international) never say anything in tutorials or lecturers, they just stay quiet. If they put on a voice and said something then the numbers will be HUGE in the number of complaints...

That said we have to do something about it, get more people on this forum and make our selves heard.

I remember I complained to 3 staff about one terrible lecture in ACCG200 and Bill ONLY included that lecture in the multiple choice area in the final exam... So it WORKED (Bill wasnt the lecturer)

Try it.

SilverSakura

HSC
N/A

:cold: it's crazy man... now i'm worried 'bout my future in MQ

blackrider89

HSC

:cold: it's crazy man... now i'm worried 'bout my future in MQ
Only in ur bad day should u worry m8 ;). Regarding the quality of teaching and some other aspects of MQ now, however, we should be concerned a bit.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

lol right

Point made by everyone, there has to be something done to make students have a say... what do we do?

To be honest and this is a big rant, Most students (Majority are international) never say anything in tutorials or lecturers, they just stay quiet. If they put on a voice and said something then the numbers will be HUGE in the number of complaints...

That said we have to do something about it, get more people on this forum and make our selves heard.

I remember I complained to 3 staff about one terrible lecture in ACCG200 and Bill ONLY included that lecture in the multiple choice area in the final exam... So it WORKED (Bill wasnt the lecturer)

Try it.
Just so you know, the law students tried and the answer we got basically was too bad. If they don't want to do something, they want...simple as that.

blackrider89

HSC

Just so you know, the law students tried and the answer we got basically was too bad. If they don't want to do something, they want...simple as that.
U meant the petition of Law students?

X

xeuyrawp

VC: I find your lack of faith disturbing...*force grip*
Palpatine: Schwartz! Release him!
If Schwartz is Vader, who is Palpatine? Dee Anderson...!?

Tabris

HSC
Re: 27/5/10 ACCG200 lecture's dispute? [full class cancelled, argument, security call

Back in 2005 (a lifetime ago), the ACCG101 was full...so the lecturer sent out a letter to all students enrolled.

This letter contained the time and day of the lecture (there were two lecture streams) and that the student must bring the letter in order to get into the lecture room.

This worked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)