3rd Line of Defence: Specifc Immune Response (1 Viewer)

Halo

HSC
N/A
Not quite correct...

1. Phagocytes belong to the second line of defense.
2. Plasma cells ARE NOT phagocytes! Plasma cells are differentiated B cells, which are lymphocytes. An example of a phagocyte is a macrophage.
3. Lymphocytes can be divided into T and B cells.
4. Specifically, it is killer T cells that releases substances which destroy antigens.
5. Antibodies can release something that can stimulate phagocytes (I think its called the complement?). I think helper T cells can stimulate phagocytes too...

jims

HSC
antibodies are released by plasma cells and attach themselves to antigens to deactivate them or help phagocytes phagocytose them.
they also exist on b and t cells, allowing the cells to recognise certain antigens.
th cells stimulate b cells to undergo clonal proliferation and produce antibodies after recognising an antigen.

asl2

SORRY GUYS!!! I DIDN'T TYPE OUT THE FLOW CHART PROPERLY !!! I FORGOT A WHOLE SECTION !!!!

REF: EXCEL BIOLOGY PAGE 73

* some white blood cells are phagocytes. Some are non-phagocytic cells called lymphocytes

* T- Cells and B- Cells are 2 differnt types of lymphocytes

* B-Cells are lymphocytes that stimulate the productoin of plasma cells

*.... plasma cells which make antibodies

* T-cells are lymphocytes that destroy antigens themselves
(a) directly destroy antigen
(b) stimulate activity of phagocytes

Halo

HSC
N/A
Thats more like it :)

But as I referred to before:
Specifically it is the killer T cells that 'release substances to destroy antigens'. Other T cells serve a different purpose: eg. suppressor T cells halt the cell-mediated immune response. So perhaps your listing of the types of T cells should be under 'T cells', and 'release substances to destroy antigens' under the types of T cells. You can probably add what other T cells do as well...

And phagocytes belong to the second line of defense :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)