6 Concepts of music (1 Viewer)

Cozza38

HSC
Hey

I need help on all the six concepts of music, if anyone can please give me a detailed description on all of them that would be great!!!!!

Cheers... "Cozza"

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
The music forum or stuff given out in class might be better, but here we go:

Duration.
Refers to rhythms, tempos, time signatures and everything else in between. Think polyrhythms, backsbeats, syncopation, quavers, minims, 7/8, 4/4 etc.

Pitch.
Pitch refers to the notes being played. Think octaves, key signatures, tonality, notes, triads, intervals etc.

Dynamics.
Louds and softs. Think of instruments that create these atmospheres - what type of playing creates the louds or the softs? This is a good concept to link with others.

Tone Colour.
Tone colour is a bitch. It refers to the sounds created by performing media and encompasses how the sounds are made (i.e. expressive techniques) and where they come from (i.e. The instrument that it is played on).

Texture.
Texture is the amount of instruments playing at once, pretty much. Polyphonic textures incorporate many instruments at once (I.e. a rock band) and homophonic textures are usually smaller, such as a piano and vocals or guitar and bass. These of course are not the only 2 types of texture.

Structure.
Structure refers to the actual structure and placement of various parts of the song. Example: Intro/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Solo/Chorus/Chorus. There can be binary structures, as well as things like ABCABCD structures etc.

That's my very vague interpretation of the concpets - I haven't gotten around to studying for the half yearlies yet so they are fairly vague.

Cozza38

HSC
Thanx heaps mate, we have only really started to scratch the surface but ide rather get ahead because music thoery is one of my weakneses!!!!
Cheers!!!! "Cozza"

wynnedoze

HSC
just be aware, there used to be seven concepts...the seventh being "performing media", but its been scrapped now and incorporated into tone colour.

Duration: remember any changes in duration, like it speeds up here, or it has a fast and a slow section, or there is a change from 3/4 to 4/4. If there is no change, just say one quick point on "the beat is steady and constant." Consider if there is a recurring rhythm or ostinato, mention it and notate it, even if its just graphic, or "long, short, long long" Also mention if it has a swing rhythm if its jazz or the like. hemiolas are also worth mentioning

Pitch can also be things like if the melody makes big or little jumps in pitch, or if the pattern of notes is always decending, like b,g,f,g g,f,e,f f,e,d,e etc...

Dynamics is also called dynamics/expressive techniques. it refers to things like accents, rubato etc. as well

Texture: another part is the roles of the texture, eg the bass line marks the beat while the violin does crazy syncopated stuff that without the bassline would just be random.

hey, music 1, dosn't this make up about 40% of the course?? take music 2 and its cut to about 20%!!

Last edited:

-mz-u-wsh-

Cara Lee
HSC
yea same as my school were only offered music one :mad1: ohh well i hope i can get past the theory to seeing as i didnt do since year 8 :confused: thanks for that aswell!!

soras2

HSC
yeah my school doesn't offer music 2 aswell, but then again it's probably a good thing i dont think i'd be able to write essays about music, but without doing music 2 i don't think it'll help much studying music in uni since music 2 is like assumed knowledge?

hsc is death.

HSC
bringbackshred said:
The music forum or stuff given out in class might be better, but here we go:

Duration.
Refers to rhythms, tempos, time signatures and everything else in between. Think polyrhythms, backsbeats, syncopation, quavers, minims, 7/8, 4/4 etc.

Pitch.
Pitch refers to the notes being played. Think octaves, key signatures, tonality, notes, triads, intervals etc.

Dynamics.
Louds and softs. Think of instruments that create these atmospheres - what type of playing creates the louds or the softs? This is a good concept to link with others.

Tone Colour.
Tone colour is a bitch. It refers to the sounds created by performing media and encompasses how the sounds are made (i.e. expressive techniques) and where they come from (i.e. The instrument that it is played on).

Texture.
Texture is the amount of instruments playing at once, pretty much. Polyphonic textures incorporate many instruments at once (I.e. a rock band) and homophonic textures are usually smaller, such as a piano and vocals or guitar and bass. These of course are not the only 2 types of texture.

Structure.
Structure refers to the actual structure and placement of various parts of the song. Example: Intro/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Solo/Chorus/Chorus. There can be binary structures, as well as things like ABCABCD structures etc.

That's my very vague interpretation of the concpets - I haven't gotten around to studying for the half yearlies yet so they are fairly vague.

music theory is definatly what always brings me down when it comes to exams! im actually searchign for some past music essays at the moment! haha
anyone do poorly in their music half yearly?

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
hsc is death. said:
music theory is definatly what always brings me down when it comes to exams! im actually searchign for some past music essays at the moment! haha
anyone do poorly in their music half yearly?
Funny thing is, I wound up not studying for my Aurals and I got 32/40, which is ok.

Cozza38

HSC
bringbackshred said:
Funny thing is, I wound up not studying for my Aurals and I got 32/40, which is ok.
hmmm, i need 2 study more! i havent got my marks back for music yet since we just finished our exams last week got 70% and 80% for my pracs though

wangipapa

HSC
Thanks @bringbackshred

I am doing a yr 9 art assignment, but forgot the concepts of music.

LuvinLife

HSC
No, I resurrect this chat in 2020. Stay safe and don't let Coronavirus bring you down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)