I need a really high atar is it possible to achieve it with these subjects

English standard
Physics
Economics
math ext 2
math ext 1

ik i shoulda done adv eng but it is what it is
you can hit that milestone with literally any combo

seriously, just work hard, and focus on getting your ranks as high as you possibly can

then let NESA take care of the rest

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad

English standard
Physics
Economics
math ext 2
math ext 1

Sure it is. That's literally the combo I did except instead of Eco I had SDD. Specifically make sure you do well in Standard as in at least a band 5 depending on how high you want your atar.

quickoats

HSC

English standard
Physics
Economics
math ext 2
math ext 1

I did that except Phys was swapped for Society and culture (even lower scaling) and I did well. Tbh English is the most important subject since an “average” performance in standard (band 3- low band 4) can really drag you back. Try to get into the band 5 territory in standard (this is tough but defs doable).

quickoats

HSC
I will add that .95 might not be possible unless you state rank in standard (95+). But you can definitely land in the 98-99 range if you do wel across the board

#26MysteryMarker

HSC
That's literally the most common combination used by 99.95ers. English standard might screw you over tho.

#26MysteryMarker

HSC
so i cant get a 99.95 atar then? :(
Of course you can. You just need to focus more on standard, because at the end of the day, 2 units of English are mandatory, so even if you state rank 4u, a b4/5 in standard will weigh you down.

Good luck next year.

jklol

HSC
oh so i just have to work harder than a adv eng student?
Of course you can. You just need to focus more on standard, because at the end of the day, 2 units of English are mandatory, so even if you state rank 4u, a b4/5 in standard will weigh you down.

Good luck next year.
So i just have to focus on eng more and work harder than an eng adv student right?

#26MysteryMarker

HSC
oh so i just have to work harder than a adv eng student?

So i just have to focus on eng more and work harder than an eng adv student right?
I'd say try as hard as the top adv students in your cohort. If you can, work WITH them after school, at the library etc.

hatterene

HSC
standard english should be your biggest priority! don't fuck it over. but it shouldn't be hard, you're a super capable student judging from your other subjects!

jklol

HSC
excuse me how might i get better at english ik its a stupid question but im so bad at english and im falling behind in a lot of subjects

hatterene

HSC
excuse me how might i get better at english ik its a stupid question but im so bad at english and im falling behind in a lot of subjects
i say the best way to get good at english is to read exemplar responses. you can find really good writing styles, quotes and techniques by reading essays that top students or academics have written about the book you are studying. you can find such essays on the state library of NSW website, you just have to make an account and then you can search the name of your book in the 'articles' section. then, you would need to perfect your application of writing. that means you have to practice: scaffold your essays by writing out a plan on what themes and quotes you would be using to answer an unseen question, then if you have time, i strongly suggest setting a strict timer and exam conditions to write out your essay and send it to your teacher for feedback. if you still feel like you are struggling, there are plenty of english advanced tutors that can help you!

windebygirl

HSC
english standard is like the hardest subject to get a band 6 in. but if you get it you'll do really well. if you only do like high average in english, you'll still do pretty well, but not near the 99 mark i don't think.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
sorry to break it to you, but in reality, you're not going to get 99.95 with English Standard.
The highest ATAR achieved with English Standard in 2020 was 99.35 View attachment 31397
It was 99.55 in 2019.
View attachment 31398
99.40 in 2018.
View attachment 31399

I don't think there ever was a time where someone who did standard ever got 99.95, meaning that you must do at least English Advanced for a 99.95.

However, it's possible to still get a high ATAR.
This is true actually no one in the history of English standard has ever gotten a 99.95

However with that being said it is theorectically possible but you would for sure have to state rank in standard english along with the usual of doing really well in every other subject. Additionally it's also that anyone who would get 99.95 is already doing advanced because they're too good at English to be in standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)