A few questions to those studying psychology (1 Viewer)

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
Hi,
I'm currently completing my HSC and trying to decide where I want to stuy for university. I know I want to become a psychologist and I'm leaning more towards doing a Bachelor of Psychology rather than a B arts or science majoring in psychology (though they're my backups incase I don't get the UAI needed). I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit of information.
Do you enjoy the course, particularly in reference to the university you attend.
Do you think there is anything that makes your university more dersireable to study psychology at?
Finally, is it possible to study electives unrelated to psychology, because I am particularly interested in eating disorders, and I would like to study some units of food science/nutrition.
Thank you very much for your time, I look forward to your reply.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Danni07 said:
Hi,
I'm currently completing my HSC and trying to decide where I want to stuy for university. I know I want to become a psychologist and I'm leaning more towards doing a Bachelor of Psychology rather than a B arts or science majoring in psychology (though they're my backups incase I don't get the UAI needed). I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit of information.
Do you enjoy the course, particularly in reference to the university you attend.
Do you think there is anything that makes your university more dersireable to study psychology at?
Finally, is it possible to study electives unrelated to psychology, because I am particularly interested in eating disorders, and I would like to study some units of food science/nutrition.
Thank you very much for your time, I look forward to your reply.
I goto macquarie university

Okay i've intro in psyche 1, intro to psyche 2,
social psychology
perception and cognitive psychology
biopsychology and learning'
statistics
statistics 2

Psyche is awsome, the best place to do psychology is I heard UNSW but Macquarie comes in a clear second and USYD doesn't even come close....i know 3 people that chose macq of usyd because they couldn't get into unsw (they did some research, asked professionals in the field)

Anyway i just think our psychology department is great, its one of the biggest departments at our uni and we have awsome lecturers! (which essentially is the most important thing)

but here's some other stuff

from macq website
Many of our staff are international leaders in their field, bringing a level of expertise and dedication to their teaching that guarantees a uniquely enriching experience for our students.
Our internationally recognised research programs span such fields as animal cognition and behaviour; cognition and perception; neuropsychology; learning; clinical, counselling and organizational psychology; social, personality, and developmental psychology; health psychology; and many others. In 2004, the Department’s external research grants exceeded $1.5 million in funding. Faculty and graduate students conduct research in collaboration with a variety of nationally and internationally recognized organizations, including NHMRC, DOCS, Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Foundation, the Australian Research Council, and Australian Rotary Health Research.
The Department of Psychology is one of the largest disciplines at Macquarie University, and one of the largest Psychology Departments in Australia, with a staff of over 40 academics,
Macquarie is unusual in that the whole of second and third year can be completed with only psychology units.
The Department has a world class Animal Research Facility including research laboratories and office space for staff in the area. The Fauna Park provides opportunities for naturalistic research on animal behaviour.

The Department has a Psychology Clinic available for training of professional students in Clinical, Neuropsychology and Counselling Psychology.

The Test Library is one of the largest in the country, and is well stocked with state of the art tests.

anyway theres more crap on the website i can't be bothered looking through it
http://www.psy.mq.edu.au/index.htm

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Macquarie also has a relaxed attitude towards things, and (hopefully) Conception Day! *and ive changed my mind on CD, i felt sore for a good 3 days afterwards, didnt know how much fun i had lol*

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I'm a bit wary about it myself. There's a lot of things relating to people and dealing with them which just can't be taught in psych classes.

Just keep an open mind. There's a lot of good stuff in psych classes. It would be an interesting degree.

Last edited:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Danni07 said:
I know I want to become a psychologist and I'm leaning more towards doing a Bachelor of Psychology rather than a B arts or science majoring in psychology (though they're my backups incase I don't get the UAI needed).
Howdie there :)
I've done no pysche but I just wanted to pick up on the point about becoming a phscyolgist. It is my understanding that to become a registered phychologist you have to actually do a psycholgy degree ...

Sydney Uni Future Undergrad Website said:
The practice and profession of psychology is governed by two organisations. Each State within Australia has a registration board, while the profession is overseen nationally by the Australian Psychological Society (APS). After successfully completing four years of psychology in an accredited degree programme you can apply for Associate Membership of the APS. Full membership (of the APS) requires successful completion of at least two more years of accredited study in a postgraduate degree in Psychology, plus some supervised practise.
Full registration as a professional Psychologist is achieved through the Psychologists' Registration Board.

At the moment the requirements for registration as a psychologist in New South Wales are that you complete an approved 4-year program in psychology and then either:

a) complete an approved postgraduate degree OR
b) undertake two years of supervised professional placements.

These conditions may be revised in the future. The BPsych and other degrees offering a Psychology major have been accredited by the Australian Psychological Society (APS), the National body overseeing the Psychology profession.
So you may have to do a BPsych... :)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
If you dont make BPsych then you could do BSc (psych) and do an honours year... I think unsw requires an average of 70 for 2nd/3rd year psych subjects. After that you need two years of supervised training before you can be registered as a psychologist. Go ask first year advisers, read up on the uni websites, australian psychological society website etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)