A Guide to WSU (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
i thought this might come in handy for those who will begin at uws next year it is not finished it is very unorganised atm and for those who are already at uws feel free to add sites and any info that will help others out :)

special thanks to Anti-Mathmite :)

- The right way to view university.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

spillargroove

HSC
Re: A Guide to UWS

Using your Student Mail for POP3 Access

Most of you probably use the online Student Mail email system at http://studentmail.uws.edu.au. If you want to use an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, this is how you can use either application to retrieve your email directly from your Student Mail so you don't have to go online. (Ironically, the IT Desk couldn't help me).

This is for Mozilla Thunderbird users but Outlook similarly follows the same procedure.
Download Mozilla Thunderbird here: www.mozilla.com/thunderbird

Identity Settings
1) Go to Tools>Account Settings.
2) Select: "Add Account".
3) Select: "Email Account".
4) Enter your name in the "Your Name" field.
5) Enter your UWS email address in the "Email address". (i.e. 1xxxxxxx.student.uws.edu.au)*
*To setup an email address which looks like: [/email]firstname.lastname@student.uws.edu.au[/email], please look down the page.

Server Settings
6) Select "POP" as your incoming mail server and type student.uws.edu.au in the "Incoming Server" field. (Leave "Global Inbox" selected)
7) In the SMTP field, also type student.uws.edu.au*

*It's better to use another SMTP address. If you use Gmail, type: smtp.gmail.com or if you are with Optus, type: mail.optusnet.com.au INSTEAD of student.uws.edu.au

8) Enter your Student ID number in the "Incoming User Name" field.

Account Name
9) Name your Account whatever you like in the "Account Name" field. (i.e. My UWS email)

Once you are done, press "Finish" and "OK" and press the "Get Mail" button in the left hand corner of your Thunderbird application.

Comments
The application will now retrieve your emails from your Student Mail account. If you are actually using Thunderbird, you can select some options. Go back into Account Settings, select your UWS account; click Server Settings. You can then choose whether you want Thunderbird to check new emails every x minutes and SSL for secure connection.

FAQ
1) What is "POP3"?
A) POP3 stands for Post Office Protocol. It is a protocol which retrieves email from the mail server (i.e. the Student Mail email server), the 3 stands for the version. POP is basicaly the postman.
2) What is SMTP?
A) SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. This is the protocol which sends your email to a mail server.

Notes
Make sure you test the account. Through Thunderbird, use your UWS email address to send an email to your UWS email address. Then check if the email appears at your Student Mail. Likewise, send an email using your Student Mail; send an email to yourself. After, use Thunderbird to see if it retrieves the email and it appears in Thunderbird.

Setting your Email Alias
You can read how to do this on the Student Mail website but you may have trouble in doing it. Here's a simple procedure:

1) Open your email account and select Options.
2) Select Choose your email alias
3) Enter whatever you like as your alias. For example: MickeyMouse or mickey.mouse or Mickey.Mouse
4) Press Confirm
5) Logout of your account and sign back in
6) Go back to Options and type mickeymouse@student.uws.edu.au in the Reply To: field.
7) Go down the page and press Save to confirm your settings.
Make sure you have @student.uws.edu.au right at the end of your email alias. No spaces!

Now when people want to send emails to you, they will reply to this: [mickeymouse@student.uws.edu.au]

EDIT: POP 3 and User alias now abolished.

Kulazzi

HSC

adding to spllargroove's advice, here are the instructions for those gmail users

1) Once you have logged into gmail, click on settings ion the top right of your window
2) Now click on the Accounts tab
3) Click on add another email address
4) type in the email you want to enter (ie <studentnumber>@studentmail.uws.edu.au)
5) It will then ask you to send a verification, so click on send verification
6) log in to your studentmail account, you should have an email from gmail verifying what you have just sent
7) click on the link to confirm (or there is a code number that you can use)

and your done!

Now, if you waqnt to compose an email from your gmail account using your student account, click on compose, where it says the From button, there should be a list of options, allowing you to choose which email you would like to send it from :)

Last edited:
L

LaraB

adding on to the other info about emails - dunno if someone's mentioned this yet.

It says somewhere on the website that you cannot receive/send emails to non-uws server based emails.

THis is NOT true.

It may reject some from free web-based servers like hotmail etc, but only if teh message content appears to be risky ie pictures or sound clips etc

The reason why they tell you it can't relay non-uws emails is to prevent people from sending non-uws emails to lecturers etc.

You can ONLY use your uws email to contact lecturers at their uws email address.

Likewise, if you call a lecturer and leave a message on the voicemail - do not leave a mobile number as they are only meant to call landline numbers. Certain lecturers do call mobile numbers, but you only know that if they explicitly tell you usually, so make sure you leave a landline number.

Whilst on the topic of calling staff - they're voicemails are screwy - after a certain numbers of days, i think it's a week, they automatically erase stuff. So - you need to make sure you keep your message short! and say you name and contact details at the start of the message so it doesn't get cut off. If you aren't contacted within a few days, email them or call them back coz they may not have gotten your mesage:)

spillargroove

HSC

Well when I sent my Head of Program an email using my personal email address and when I got her email, it did say in the title, "SPAM" so yes, it certain circumstances, your email will still be sent and read.

Just one more thing, only some email providers such as your ISP or Gmail provide POP3 capability. Email providers such as Hotmail do not.

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC

Hey people i am trying to decide what i want to do after year 12 (only 13 weeks and high school is finished for me) and i am going to either UOW or UWS and i realised the major differences in the UAI marks. eg Medical Science UOW=82 UWS=65.5
UWS seems to be lower than wollongong in nearly every course and UWS i have heard is not as good as wollongong. Firstly, Why is there such a big difference in the UAI'S and secondly, what is the difference between UOW and UWS.
I have heard that UWS is just as good as wollongong, however, does not have the prestige?
Just really need to know this. So anyone who has an opinion on the issue or knows the answers to my questions please get back to me. Thanks u heaps.

dannobunot

HSC

Heyyy

I heard that there is a new student mail system and that we will no longer be able to use alias'.....i guess we are stuck with our student numbers...how gaol like..lol

~ari

is well hung
HSC

There is.

They changed it and gave no notification. That explains why my mail wasn't forwarded for a month.

THANKS FOR THAT IT GUYS!:D

~ari

is well hung
HSC

Has anyone worked out mail forwarding on the new system?

Edit: Oh cool no email forwarding. Convenient

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

The WebCT system has changed since this thread. It is now vUWS and the link which will redirect you:

And if you haven't noticed- they changed the email system and there is no longer the option of email forwarding.

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A

~ari said:
Has anyone worked out mail forwarding on the new system?

Edit: Oh cool no email forwarding. Convenient
And so far as I can tell, no POP3 either (grrrrr!)

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A

where do I go to get my Uni ID Card?

at the student centre it cost $500 inc GST be sure to pay via credit card though, its the only way...

be sure to say cheese and thankyou when you take your picture and show them your a good boy who can deliver a big happy smile :spzz:

lol im joking about the other stuff i said :haha:

beefnoodle

HSC

at the student centre it cost $500 inc GST be sure to pay via credit card though, its the only way...

be sure to say cheese and thankyou when you take your picture and show them your a good boy who can deliver a big happy smile :spzz:

lol im joking about the other stuff i said :haha:
do i have to bring my UAC offer and enrolment printout?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)