A question about questions :S (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Okay, so with todays essay question, I was just wondering how I approach other questions that are similar (for english). What I mean is, if the question sounds like a statement, I sort of feel like it is true (depending how the question is worded) and so it is difficult for me to manipulate the question...

Okay our question today:

''An individuals perceptions of belonging evolve in response to the passage of time and interaction with their world.

In what ways is this view of belonging represented in your prescribed text and at least ONE other related text of your own choosing?''

Okay, so it says in what ways is this view of belonging represented in my texts, but what if i don't really agree with the statement, does that mean I don't have to wholly agree with it? Because I said ''to an extent'' and then added x,y,z of other reasons why perceptions of belonging evolve in response to passage of time etc. Like I felt like ''world'' didn't fit with my prescribed text, but I sort of made it fit..

I don't know if adding ''to an extent'' was a good idea, because I often see that for subjects like History... so, when you come across a question like this, what do you do? Because when I read it fast I thought okay, I have to agree with it? But then throughout the exam I tried manipulating it....

I hope you get what I mean! =/

nifkeh

HSC
you can agree or disagree, you state that in your thesis, then throughout your essay you need to address your point of view, you need to have a solid opinion so you can't be in the middle, but you can show an overall opinion and similarities and maybe some differences kind of thing. I think that's how you do it right? You don't need to 100% agree with the statement.

I think 'to an extent' is okay

addoil

HSC
Why care anymore???

JOKES there's still Paper 2 :(

Cheesecake_a

HSC
^LOL @ paper 2.

And thanks nikfeh, that is what I attempted to do. :) Because I don't want to be writing and thinking ''Oh I don't actually agree with this, or it doesn't really fit''

I mean I backed up what I was saying... I just hope it's good enough...

Also, for our modules in paper two, it is the same thing, like I don't have to agree? Because sometimes it feels like I have to agree...

For example:

Ultimately, in this Shakespearean drama, it is the representation of intense human relationships that captivates audiences.

Explore the representation of at least ONE intense human relationship in Hamlet, evaluating its significance in the play as a whole.

Okay it is telling you to talk about one intense human relationship, but what if I don't think this is what captivates audiences? Can I say ''to an extent'' about intense human relationships BUT also (mainly) Hamlet's character as an enigma?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)