Ability (1 Viewer)

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think your marks and intellectual ability is depended on you parents ability ?

sida1049

HSC
Probably indirectly at most, through effects such as wealth, educational background, culture, parenting approach, et cetera. But I doubt that it's very substantial, since I've met plenty of people who, for example, are highly skilled in pure mathematics at uni, yet their parents have absolutely no taste for anything remotely abstract of that nature.

Plus it's important to believe that your ability isn't determined. If you do believe it, then the implication is that it's a waste of time trying to improve your own ability, and hence that any motivation to improve yourself is ultimately worthless.

studygirl118

HSC
I don’t think so. My parents got TERs in like the 60s or something whereas I got high 90s. Depends on your study routine and motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Intelligence has a strong genetic component especially from the maternal line.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Marks/grades however I think are strongly influenced by effort which for most people they’d have a decent control over.

integral95

HSC
My parents and relatives would talk about how my mum and dad did really well in math back at school in China. I'm not sure if it's legit or not haha but I was able to gasp at most concepts a bit better than the average student so I guess it's a factor.

S_T_A_G

HSC
Defiantly, however as always its a balance of nature and nurture, however you'd expect academically gifted parents would probably nurture their children to be the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)