anonhello

HSC
Okay so I'm going into year 11 and have high aspirations of being a doctor
but with that comes the UMAT and i have no clue about it
so if anyone could shed some light on this topic, I'd really appreciate it
like what percentile do you require to get into UNSW, USYD, UWS or UMelb
also when do you take the exam, does it cost money, is there a time limit,
how many questions are there in one exam and where should I go to get
preparation??? I know its all logic based but I heard many get tutored before hand?
Please help me out, I'm really confused and worried :S
Thanks in advance to those who bother with this thread

Magical Kebab

HSC
http://umat.acer.edu.au/
http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local

Id strongly recommend taking a look at those. Especially the table of Atar scores/umat scores for unsw on the 2nd link. Im pretty much in the same position as you. You do the exam around the same time you do your trials in year 12, but obviously the umat is more important. It does cost money, I'm not sure but i believe its around $100. There is a time limit as well. Tutoring is up to you, med start would probably be the best place for that. All the question are answered on those two links.

Im great friends with a person doing med at monash, and got high-destinctions in everything and is already practising surgery at hospitals nearby. He told me, never underestimate yourself because it depends how hard you work. He said that its not worth getting tutored for the umat, but instead buy practise papers, i believe people on this site sell them. Practise them and start early, but be consistent because if you start now and leave it for 5 months then get back to it, its useless because most of what u learnt would be forgotten.
Check those websites out and ring the med schools up if you have any questions, thats what i did.

Good Luck ! Never give up :)

anonhello

HSC
Thank you so much, your response was exactly what I needed, not only did it answer my questions but it inspired me as well :)
Good luck to you as well and yes as difficult as things get at times we shouldn't give up

delian

HSC
N/A
yes, i agree that you should give it your best shot.
Yes, practice papers are definitely very worthwhile. (I have 10 papers for $50, much cheaper than $500 courses).

Bobbo1

HSC
http://umat.acer.edu.au/
http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local

Id strongly recommend taking a look at those. Especially the table of Atar scores/umat scores for unsw on the 2nd link. Im pretty much in the same position as you. You do the exam around the same time you do your trials in year 12, but obviously the umat is more important. It does cost money, I'm not sure but i believe its around $100. There is a time limit as well. Tutoring is up to you, med start would probably be the best place for that. All the question are answered on those two links.

Im great friends with a person doing med at monash, and got high-destinctions in everything and is already practising surgery at hospitals nearby. He told me, never underestimate yourself because it depends how hard you work. He said that its not worth getting tutored for the umat, but instead buy practise papers, i believe people on this site sell them. Practise them and start early, but be consistent because if you start now and leave it for 5 months then get back to it, its useless because most of what u learnt would be forgotten.
Check those websites out and ring the med schools up if you have any questions, thats what i did.

Good Luck ! Never give up :)
Test is $200 now I think, but great advice

such_such

HSC
It's basically similar to your typical IQ tests and science competition, mixed with comprehension.

For USYD, no UMAT, just a solid 99.95 ATAR + interview.

For UNSW:
UMAT ATAR
54 99.95
56 99.5
59 99.0
64 98.0
67 97.0
70 96.0

where a score of 70 would be 100 percentile.

Something like that.

delian

HSC
N/A
Melbourne Uni has a new "Melbourne model" that means you can only do graduate med.
There is a vice-chancellor scholarship thing for people who get 99.90 or above, where you get (almost) guaranteed entry into Doctor of Medicine (MD) after your undergrad degree.
Note that MD sounds fancy, but practically is the equivalent of MBBS

frippyful

HSC
a teacher told me that you cant study for the umat, you can either do it or you cant. but practice to know the structure is good. she believes that it depends on how you personally think

Mdzabakly

HSC
Okay so I'm going into year 11 and have high aspirations of being a doctor
but with that comes the UMAT and i have no clue about it
so if anyone could shed some light on this topic, I'd really appreciate it
like what percentile do you require to get into UNSW, USYD, UWS or UMelb
also when do you take the exam, does it cost money, is there a time limit,
how many questions are there in one exam and where should I go to get
preparation??? I know its all logic based but I heard many get tutored before hand?
Please help me out, I'm really confused and worried :S
Thanks in advance to those who bother with this thread
Well as has already been said its pretty much a logic test, you could always go to med entery, and buy a 500$+ course, or just study with the resources you have, maybe ask you school, they might have some umat papers, or try this websites for free umat rescources. pretty much the best practice is constant doing of study papers, the questions you get in the umat will be totally different in into, however almost exactly the same in the way you answer it, so doing as many papers you can will probably be the best practive.
http://umatsuccess.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/why-free-umat-site-whats-story.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)