Accomodation (1 Viewer)

anna_chronism

losing my mind
HSC
Hey, I've applied for BA (Comm - Journalism) at Bathurst this year. I live in Newcastle so I'd be moving, but am unsure as to on/off campus accomodation. I'm gonna be a poor uni student :( and on campus accomodation looks really expensive, but I don't know how difficult living off campus would be, being isolated and everything...

Can you give me your thoughts on this? Any advice? I'd really appreciate it!!

<3 Anna

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
CSU is one of the cheapest Uni's to live on campus and when you put together everything you'd need to pay for off campus, well Campus accomodation would be cheaper.

And from what Bex, Fro and all the kids say, on Campus is the place to be ;)

bex

HSC
yeah campus living is the place to be for fun and excitement!

as for costs- everyone has a different opinion as to which is cheaper but i think in the end they work out about the same. On campus does look expensive at first but when you factor in that all your heating and water and electricity is paid for thats a huge bonus! especially in winter!!! (dont be like one of my friends who blew his cash on a brand new fridge only to have his heating cut cause he couldnt foot the bill!) you also have the uni facilities at your disposal (24 hr computer lab for all students, the gym (which is free) and also the proximity to your classes which helps you save on petrol or transport..

non catered is cheaper than catered and you can make pretty inexpensive meals once you get to know the town and the dollar discount specials at coles! there are a few hidden costs which pop up, like pub runs, balls, dorm sports and stuff- but you dont need to participate in all of these.

if you can get government assistance (youth allowance, austudy etc) then that is a huge help and there are also a heap of scholarships for first years and specifically first year journos.. check csu.edu.au for more info bout these and if you have any more questions- dont be afraid to ask!
hope i helped!

bex

HSC
dont worry bout it! i forgot to mention there are a number if payment options- like you can pay fortnightly if you have to work the money into a budget or something. also you can move off campus at the end of a term if it gets too hard (physically, mentally or financially) or watever. the reason i say at the end of term is that they make youpay for the rest of the term if you move off!

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
refering to when u move off during a term, i ant that stupid

anna_chronism

losing my mind
HSC
Sorry, another question that I can't find an answer to anywhere! Is Diggings at Bathurst only for second/third year students, or can first years stay there too? That option really suited me, and I really really hope I can stay there!!

<3 Anna

Fro

HSC
JOV or towers are the least expensive options... Cattered cottages people are known for snooty rich type people - but there are some exceptions....
You'll wanna talk to bex about the pros and cons of towers and JOV
Personally - id prefer towers - purely for the fact that its closer to most locations... if thats any help
Good luck
Fro

bex

HSC
hey guys i posted this a while ago so im just doing a bit of old cutting and pasting..
its a big call on whats better.. im towers biased because ive been there for 2 years and am staying for a 3rd but really, all the accomodation is great cause everyone is really accepting and friendly... so seeing as im almost a veteran, im going to give you the pros and cons of towers!

Pros
*there are 30 people in a dorm therefore instant 29 friends!
*closest accomodation to dining hall, W9, Cunningham House and 2MCE (if you are a comm student you will need these!) Not to mention THE famous (and probably infamous) UNIBAR and CSUSAB (student) building.
*its an extremely social environment- there is always something going, organised or unorganised, usually involving alcohol and almost always involving a game or competition of some sort!
* towers pub run- only the most awesome day of the year! (think 200 drunk adolescents marching down the streets of bathurst at 9am in hot pink shirts)
*the hot water and electricity are seemingly everlasting
*every room has a heater (like in JOV too) but cause the rooms are so close together the building warms really quickly
* the building is full concrete which means you cant hear the goings on of your neighbour and his/ her sex slave into the early hours of the morning unlike the paper thin JOV walls
*we have our own racing greyhound called Towers! (beat that JOV!)

Cons
* a dorm of 30 people- 29 possible enemies!
*the rooms are tiny but all the essentials are there- bed desk, chair, shelves, drawers wardrobe, heater, towel rack, desk lamp
* share toilets and showers (2 showers and 2 toilets between 8 people- not sure about the ratio in JOV)
*it looks like a gaol- which is actually an advantage as there isnt usually too much of a fuss if the building gets destroyed on bar nights. JOV looks like woomera. it was built as temporary accomodation in the 70's and just stayed there!
*we are the furthest building from the library (when i say far, im talking maybe 100metres?!), most classrooms, the gym and the computer labs (which are like smack bang in the middle of the uni anyway)
*the buildings go straight up. its a pain in the ass haulling a bar fridge up 4 flights of stairs!! but it depends whether you are 30 week (meaning you move in and out of the same room each term) or 40 week. the top 2 floors are 40 week dorms so they only have to move in at the beginning of the year and out at the end
*the social events are the perfect way to procrastinate
*the fire alarms are so freaking loud! (maybe a good thing?)

hope that helped!!!

bex

HSC
haha its the ugliest building i have ever seen! im just going to express my love for csu one more time by mentioning that you run into people ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE!! i was in brisbane a few weeks ago and bumped into a towers person, about an hour ago i saw the the guy who lives in my old room at a restaurant about 10 mins from my house, i now have friends in basically every state in australia- that includes tassie!

you guys made the right choice!!!!!!

T

talene

I went to Bathurst for a tour today and the JOV rooms are tiny and reminded me of cells.
I chose the self-catered cottages, rooms are bigger, nicer - same for the bathrooms. I really liked the cottages.

bex

HSC
yeah the cottages are nice.. theyre the newest accomodation and the most expensive.. i think if youre self catered you need a bit of extra space for your appliances and what not but if youre catered its so far from dining hall!!!

T1ger1i11y

HSC
Hey Bex seeing as though you have all the useful info can you tell me whether for first year you would choose catred or self catered...in terms of social atmosphere and comfort doesnt matter about cost... and also in towers do u have a mini bar in your room? hows the space..i saw the rooms..just want to know what you think from experience..Thanks a heap

anna_chronism

losing my mind
HSC
Thanx bex for all your help - I've decided to apply for Diggings, that option really suits me and I'm really happy with it. Thanks for answering all my questions! I'm looking forward to getting there and having fun!

<3 Anna

bex

HSC
yay! cant wait to get back.. itll be good to put faces to names!!

for first year.. if you want the social experience then (in my opinion) i would choose towers or JOV. i have never lived in diggings so i cant really make judgements on them.. BUT in towers there is almost always something going on. we are notorious for being the loudest and drunkest- often setting off the fire alarms at 3am after a bar night and going on dorm food raids around JOV and diggings! we have heaps of parties that usually end with a visit from security, the head resident (this year, his name is youngie), or the head of accomodation, Viv.. and on some occasions a visit from all three. Towers is pretty balanced in terms of the boy/ girl ratio even though at the uni there is a lot more girls than boys in general. You also get to meet soooo many people because unlike JOV, youre all living on top of each other! Dining hall is not so delicious but it does make for interesting conversation (eg: what animal do you think that came from?). They do try to keep life interesting but sometimes their concoctions can go seriously wrong! (chicken and bacon lasagne anyone?)

as for towers rooms, there isnt a minibar but there are 2 full sized fridges in each dorm and if you want your own its easy enough to fit a bar fridge in there... i have a 50L one i think and it fits neatly under my desk or next to my bed as a bedside table. yes the rooms are tiny but im ok in small spaces and you really can fit a lot in them! you can make them as homely and cosy as you like or dont like. the only complaint i would have about the rooms is the tv reception and the lack of power outlets lol. the bathrooms are a bit interesting in terms of nasty shower curtains and grotty dormies but youre going to get that no matter what dorm you live in!! so thats about it.. if you have anymore questions just ask!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)