ACST101 - Techniques and Elements of Finance (1 Viewer)

Lou283

HSC
So the course outline went up today for ACST101 and since I finished high school 4 years ago I have no idea what those formulas mean! I am going to give the numeracy centre a visit but I wondered what peoples experiences are with this unit? I am studying marketing so I just need to get through this unit.

Is it a difficult unit for those not maths savvy or is it a case of once you get what the formulas mean it becomes easier?

Monstar

HSC
Drill questions and do every piece of work hes given to you. Westcott may seem bitter but reality is, he tries his best to make everyone pass.. so as long as you

1. Do the tute questions
2. Do the online quizzes
3. Do your own revision

you'll definitely pass

Lou283

HSC
Drill questions and do every piece of work hes given to you. Westcott may seem bitter but reality is, he tries his best to make everyone pass.. so as long as you

1. Do the tute questions
2. Do the online quizzes
3. Do your own revision

you'll definitely pass
Thanks, look like I will just have to work my ass off then!

In peoples experience does it help to buy the books? This years books are:
Maths Of Finance (custom) 2e + Financial Institutions, Instruments & Markets (cust. Cutdown Version Westcott) 6e [pack]

But it doesn't say they are 'required' just 'recommended' - but they look like most of the books are not even in the unit - are they worth the $135?

I will buy them if they are going to help me pass, but won't bother if its just unnecessary extra reading.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
The textbook [in my opinion] is not needed because the lecture notes are excellent, and extra questions and more detailed lecture notes are available for all topics. I don't think you will have time to go through the textbook if you go through the rest of the material. That's for techniques.

Elements, well, although the textbook has *some* details the lecture notes may overlook, i dont think you will be reading an 800-page book for elements, which is worth 30% of the course, and is only assessed in Multiple Choice format in the final exam.

[Note there are 2 textbooks].

Monstar

HSC
Oh yeah, elements are like free marks.. if you get the maths down please make an effort with elements and youll be on your way to a Disitinction cause no one bothers with it.

Lou283

HSC
Thanks guys that really helps!

The textbook [in my opinion] is not needed because the lecture notes are excellent, and extra questions and more detailed lecture notes are available for all topics. I don't think you will have time to go through the textbook if you go through the rest of the material. That's for techniques.

Elements, well, although the textbook has *some* details the lecture notes may overlook, i dont think you will be reading an 800-page book for elements, which is worth 30% of the course, and is only assessed in Multiple Choice format in the final exam.

[Note there are 2 textbooks].
I noticed there were two textbooks and wasn't sure they were worth buying - I don't think I will bother, the notes are certainly lengthy anyway! Plus my main goal is to simply just understand the basics, enough to pass, so it's not a subject I will want to do extra studying thats not necessary. Not that I wont be aiming higher but wont be setting my expectations too high for this one!

Oh yeah, elements are like free marks.. if you get the maths down please make an effort with elements and youll be on your way to a Disitinction cause no one bothers with it.

Thanks for the tip on the elements, out of the two it is likely to be my stronger area so I will be sure not to lose easier marks on it!

manutd8

HSC
is it possible to get HD in the subject with only gen maths or weak maths background?

thanks

Lou283

HSC
is it possible to get HD in the subject with only gen maths or weak maths background?

thanks
Looking at the assessments I think you just have to keep up with the lectures from week to week - anything you don't know look up in your own time and then try the questions again. That's what I did for the practice assessment.

The practice assessment is only suppose to take 20 minutes, it took me 2 hours BUT I got 100% so I know that I can now do the maths, I just need to work on identifying how to solve the equations quicker =p

Am I right in saying that the Maths revision and the practice assessment incorporates all the equations and maths you will need to know to pass the unit?

Ziva

Banned
HSC

thanks
to be honest, probably not

Am I right in saying that the Maths revision and the practice assessment incorporates all the equations and maths you will need to know to pass the unit?
Yes

Westcot is actually a good lecturer, go to your lectures.

manutd8

HSC
i did both tests in about 20-30 mins each, and got 82% and 84% respectively. the wrong answers were stupid mistakes :\ lol. so if thats all the maths thats going to be in ACST, its really easy?

Ziva

Banned
HSC
i did both tests in about 20-30 mins each, and got 82% and 84% respectively. the wrong answers were stupid mistakes :\ lol. so if thats all the maths thats going to be in ACST, its really easy?
weeks 1 and 2 quizes are not reflective of the difficulty of the ACST course. see how you go in the class tests

HSC
Weeks 6-7-8 are the most difficult ones, dont underestimate this unit... It isnt easy

just go to your lectures and understand elements, those are the easy marks.

manavji

HSC
N/A
This unit is really easy to get a D/HD in..

Why am i saying this?.. because the way this unit is structured, you can afford to study less / or in batches and get marks...

A traditional unit has a mid semester exam and then a final exam.. However, in this unit, after every 3 weeks or so.. there is a test which is worth 10%.. so basically if u study ur ass off for only 3 weeks worth at a time.. u can pretty much get 8 or 9/10 in each of those tests... and online quizzes are each weeks work.. so once again.. its easy to score marks in those..

So if ur entering the final exam with something less than 35/40 for your assessments... its not because you didnt understand ACST101, its because uve been lazy during the semester lol

In the final exam... even if u get a high pass or a credit you will end up on a D since your assessment marks are rly high.

goodluck!

tajid73

HSC
In the final exam... even if u get a high pass or a credit you will end up on a D since your assessment marks are rly high.
I do agree that acst 101 is easy to get D/HD but disagree with your last statement. Mq uni is using SNG marking system.According to my experience eventhough your internal assessment marks are HD average if u do ok (cr/p) in the final, u might still only get cr/p.

That happened to me before.. in accg200, my internal assessment mark was like 37or38/40 but underestimated the subject and focused studying on something else in the final and only got like 66% in the final exam. my overall mark was only 72 which should have been 77 if there's no SNG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)