• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Adopting Pensioners. (1 Viewer)

michael1990

HSC
Today Tonight said:
She failed to thaw the hearts of the politicians in Canberra, but Betty Moore's fight for a better deal for pensioners has melted the heart of one young woman, Amanda Pike.
"I thought 'if they're not going to do something about it, I'm going to do everything in my power as a little person to hopefully be able to back Betty and get everyone else's eyes open and see what they can do to help'," Amanda said.
"Adopt A Pensioner - that's my idea."
The 34-year-old Gold Coast sales rep has been following Betty's story on Today Tonight, as Betty struggles to stretch her single aged pension every week.
Betty has fought a long, hard battle to get pensioners a simple pay rise, a campaign that last week took her to the front doorstep of Parliament House in Canberra.
But it was Betty's bitter disappointment on budget night, when she realised her calls for help had gone ignored, that shocked Amanda. The government has refused to increase the pension by even as little as $10 a week, forcing Betty to tears.
To kick the campaign off, Amanda and her partner have decided to adopt Betty Moore. They hope Adopt A Pensioner can become a national campaign.
"Whether it's gift vouchers, or putting a washer on a tap, anything, just something to help them out," Amanda said.
For Betty, who has no children of her own, Amanda's gesture is incredibly touching. She was moved to tears again when Amanda gave her a small present.
Paul Versteege from the Combined Pensioners and Superannuants Association has welcomed Adopt a Pensioner, but is saddened that it has come to this.
"It just shows you how desperate the situation is in Australia, that we have to think of a scheme like 'Adopt a Pensioner' to make sure our pensioners don't starve," Mr Versteege said.
"The Rudd Government should be red-faced about the fact that we have so many pensioners probably watching this program and saying 'yes, I want those gift cards'. It's a very sad state and affairs and one that needs to be fixed."
Amanda's scheme aims to start small, but she hopes it will spread nationwide.
�Where they can put their names on maybe an internet or something, and we can adopt a pensioner that way," Amanda said.
"In the meantime, I'm hoping people can look around their own neighbourhood - they might have a pensioner in their own unit block, or in their street - and instead of just saying hi, get to know them and ask them, 'Is there something that I can do to help?'."
The Combined Pensioners Association in NSW has agreed to distribute any gift cards to its 8000 needy members. National Seniors Australia, with offices across the country, has also joined the Adopt A Pensioner scheme.
Details of their locations can be found below.
Betty has now stepped back from the pension fight, for a well deserved rest. She is also coming to terms with her sudden, belated adoption, realising her campaign has worked after all.
"If a matter of $5 or $10 a week makes a huge difference to them, to be able to get extra groceries, then $40 or $45 a month can make a massive difference," Amanda said.
"I'm sure they [viewers] can spare something. Open your heart, it doesn't take alot of money to help."
Well it touched my mothers heart. She is going to adopt a pensioner!
Bloody, now we gotta go look for a pensioner?

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/3509827/money/adopt-pensioner

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
If people want to do that, that's they're right. I think it's a cool idea, myself. :p

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Not a fan of old people....

+ the article was way to long to make me care/read it.

michael1990

HSC
risole91 said:
Not a fan of old people....

+ the article was way to long to make me care/read it.
LOL

Well old people deserve help as well Aaron.

I hope you're poor when you're elderly. And have to suck up to me, and i may pay your way.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
I think this is a lovely idea. It doesn't even have to be money: just going around and helping put the bins out, change a light bulb and other such things can be a real help when you're getting on and your back's gone and you couldn't reach the top shelf in the kitchen even if you could manage to climb on a chair/stepladder. I'd totes adopt a little old lady if I had money.

michael1990

HSC
DownInFlames said:
I think this is a lovely idea. It doesn't even have to be money: just going around and helping put the bins out, change a light bulb and other such things can be a real help when you're getting on and your back's gone and you couldn't reach the top shelf in the kitchen even if you could manage to climb on a chair/stepladder. I'd totes adopt a little old lady if I had money.

Didn't you just say you didn't need money to do so?

Mow the lawns!
WOOO So easy.

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
DownInFlames said:
Would not consider it adoption if not funding with monies.
'Friendsies'/community service.
='[
HA HA HA!

Friendsies.

My mum just said, when are we going to the supermarket to find ourselves a pensioner?
I was like shut-up.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
My first response was an unfortunately jaded one - i.e. the feeling that the money could do a lot more in the developing world. Ideally there would be enough to support everyone, of course.

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
michael1990 said:
HA HA HA!

Friendsies.

My mum just said, when are we going to the supermarket to find ourselves a pensioner?
I was like shut-up.
lulz They could have pictures in stalls near the world vision stalls at the supermarket.

But is all seriousness I like the putting a website up idea, as this way pensioners can elect to ask for help, and if they somehow make the site a little structured, screen out people who might e-abuse them for fun, then they can stay private about it and keep their dignity/ not feel like they're begging for money from strangers.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Haha, I'm not sure if that's the best screening process. I'm thinking that pensioners with internet access probably aren't amongst the most needy. Similarly, if the program relies on advertising for recruitment then, if population health is anything to go by, the least well off will probably be the least likely to receive such messages or respond to them.

HSC
michael1990 said:
HA HA HA!

Friendsies.

I was like shut-up.
Ha, I'd laugh if you walked up to an old person and offered to adopt them and they beat you down with their walking stick.

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
KFunk said:
Haha, I'm not sure if that's the best screening process. I'm thinking that pensioners with internet access probably aren't amongst the most needy. Similarly, if the program relies on advertising for recruitment then, if population health is anything to go by, the least well off will probably be the least likely to receive such messages or respond to them.
yeah that's true.
looks like the plan is screwed then :rolleyes:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Neither sides of my family are particularly 'well off' - both working class 'true-blue' Aussies. So why, as pensioners, do both my pairs of grandparents have (or have had since they retired) more than half a million in cash and assets? Even those pensioners I know who didn't have the foresight to save or use superannuation whilst they worked manage to make do with the bare essentials (food, water, electricity, transport) each week just fine.

Whilst I am all for government welfare, especially for the elderly, I am particularly dubious about the validity of claims that they can't afford to live on a government pension. Moreover, an increase of $10 a week is a positively enormous amount nation-wide, especially considering the number of pensioners will double in the next 30 or so years.

15% now, right? Assume two thirds qualify for pensions. 10% of 20 million is 2 million. 2 million times $10 is $20 million dollars. $20 million dollars a week is a bit over $1 billion dollars a year. That's more than 1% of Australia's GDP, or about as much money as Australia's Agricultural industry contributes to the GDP each year. It's a completely infeasible 'pay rise'.

So where exactly does Betty think the government is going to get that money from?

I just checked the Centrelink website and pensioners get about $220 (couple) to $280 (single) per week. Forgive me if I don't shed any tears. Sounds like another typical Today Tonight hype story.

Edit: That said, it's always good to see private charity supplement welfare. Although I question whether this might be better spent on a real charity case, such as the homeless.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Ha, I'd laugh if you walked up to an old person and offered to adopt them and they beat you down with their walking stick.
LOL

I agree.
But Mum said we have to find someone. She wants Betty though LOL

michael1990

HSC
Slidey said:
Neither sides of my family are particularly 'well off' - both working class 'true-blue' Aussies. So why, as pensioners, do both my pairs of grandparents have (or have had since they retired) more than half a million in cash and assets? Even those pensioners I know who didn't have the foresight to save or use superannuation whilst they worked manage to make do with the bare essentials (food, water, electricity, transport) each week just fine.

I just checked the Centrelink website and pensioners get about $220 (couple) to $280 (single) per week. Forgive me if I don't shed any tears. Sounds like another typical Today Tonight hype story.

Edit: That said, it's always good to see private charity supplement welfare. Although I question whether this might be better spent on a real charity case, such as the homeless.
Grandparents. Which i am assuming you're over the age of 18 or approaching. Your grandparents probably bought a house worth $20 000 that is now worth $500 000 which will explain the assets.

I don't think $280 per week is a lot of money to live on. I mean if you didn't own a house, didn't own a car, didn't have family.

You would be paying $100 per week on rent (assuming they are in housing commission), 2 people $100 per week on food. Getting to the shops and home $10 a week, Water, Electricity $70. Thats there full 'good' enough pension.
Would you be able to live on $280/week for the rest of your life?
What about clothes and such? They wouldn't have any money to spend on things they actually want.

Some of these pensioners are nearly homeless.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
michael1990 said:
Grandparents. Which i am assuming you're over the age of 18 or approaching. Your grandparents probably bought a house worth $20 000 that is now worth $500 000 which will explain the assets.
I'm 20, their houses are each worth about $200,000 - we don't live in Sydney mate ;) Most of their wealth comes from their savings - I needn't tout the virtues of compound interest.

I don't think $280 per week is a lot of money to live on. I mean if you didn't own a house, didn't own a car, didn't have family.
That's called being homeless, and there are even more government provisions in the case of that. Further, it's not uncommon to find places to rent for around $100 to $150 (ignoring the cheap government housing and nursing home options available), and healthy, cheap food costs about $40 to $60 a week. I'm sure it's very tight for some people but such cases are actually rare.

You would be paying $100 per week on rent (assuming they are in housing commission), 2 people $100 per week on food. Getting to the shops and home $10 a week, Water, Electricity $70. Thats there full 'good' enough pension.
Would you be able to live on $280/week for the rest of your life?
What about clothes and such? They wouldn't have any money to spend on things they actually want.
Find me somebody who spends $70 on water and electricity a week and I'll eat my hat. A maximum (i.e. extravagant) cost analysis, ignoring government benefits like cheap transport:

Gas/Elec/Water/Phone - $20
Transport - $20
Food $60
Rent - $150

For a single person: $250.

You see, nobody pays $70 a week for electricity, gas and water, my friend. More like $5 to $10. ;)

As for your comment about "money to spend on the things they actually want" - the government's job isn't to provide luxury (though they should have a bit left over each week anyway). That was their job earlier in their life. It's called 'saving', so past bare essentials, I have little sympathy.

Some of these pensioners are nearly homeless.
Renting. As somebody who's been on my own in another city for 2 years, getting by on about $250 a week, I can assure you it's not an unhealthy situation. Sure it may not be ideal, but past basic necessities you have to make your own luck - you can't rely on the charity of others.

Edit: More here, though it's got some quirky numbers like $40 a week on clothing http://www.justlanded.com/english/Australia/Tools/Just-Landed-Guide/Money/Cost-of-Living

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)