adult athletes (1 Viewer)

emybemy

oh my god, what was with them asking about adult athletes in sports medicine, i mean there are female, old and children but nooooo adult!!!!! what did everyone write?

chris42

HSC
Yeah.. It was hard.. I said adult atheltes need help due to the fact the majority of athletes are 'adults'

kazerati

um i put adults need special attn coz they forget theyr old, n think theyr invincible, plus the regular stuff for chix, n for the oldies i put stuff about how theyr fallin apart coz theyr old, n they just need 2b careful.

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
i was about to write stuff for young athletes but i re-read the question and realised what it was asking!

yea i was abit confused with that one, but i put that adults need to be gouped by ability not age (like some kiddies do) so that people who play for fun or are inexperienced dont have to compete against a national representative, they use protective gear and taping/bandaging to look after previous injuries and to not re-aggrivate them, that they must regularly hydrate themselves (thermoregulation stuff) surface area to volume ratio, sun protecting etc etc etc

usual stuff for older and female athletes

wasnt a bad question, but i thought they had a typo when i read adult! i learnt young athletes, female athletes and older athletes........ and couldnt rememebr much to put for adults. I compensated by writing heaps for the other two groups ;)

hehe

parko :D

emybemy

awesome, thats what i wrote, well kinda but i included the stuff about matching oponents, taping and thermoregulation

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
Originally posted by emybemy
awesome, thats what i wrote, well kinda but i included the stuff about matching oponents, taping and thermoregulation
phew! thats such a relief! i thought i had just gibbered about anything.....but no thats really good that someone else had the same idea!!

nice work. hehehehe!!

Rachel_999

ok i didnt write about anything like that....aged and adult are under the same thing...they were trying to trick us...(thats what my teacher sed)
it just included bone density/fractures
heart conditions and flex/joint mobilisation

or maybe im talking out of my arse lol

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
yea they could have put it to confuse us, but still aged athletes have specific needs, which dont apply to adult athletes. Aged athlete is someone around 55yrs and over (retirees type ages) Adult refers to early 20's to 40's or 50's. So thats why i didnt put them in the same group cos Aged athletes are different to adults.

meh, thats just me, it should have been young athletes though! (much simpler!)

eeyore

adult athletes wasn't even on the syllabus
I said pretty much the same thing as aged

holl

Adult and aged are in the same dot point so i went with the three things for that topic which are heart conditions bone density and fractures and joint mobility and flexability

FreAkay

I WROTE DRUGS FOR ADULTS ... i remembered to write that!!!! :D, yeh i found that questions easy, just that adults take more time to recover from injuries. Need aqdeqate warm up ... ahhh yeh stuff to that degree!

keepin_sanity

I asked my teacher after the exam about the adult thing and he said that we could've included pretty much anything like preventitive measures before play, to thermoregulation, to the use of drugs etc because "adult" athletes is just a nice way of putting "normal" athletes ie. those that aren't female, children or old.

But yeh, I included it under aged athletes because the wording threw me a bit..."adult athletes" not being in the syllabus and all...*sigh*

~SArAh~B~

mmm with females i mentioned pregnancy, eating disorders and iron levels which may result into anaemia, for aged adults i talked about the higher risk of injury due to poorer bone density and osteoporosis...

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
Originally posted by keepin_sanity
I asked my teacher after the exam about the adult thing and he said that we could've included pretty much anything like preventitive measures before play, to thermoregulation, to the use of drugs etc because "adult" athletes is just a nice way of putting "normal" athletes ie. those that aren't female, children or old.

But yeh, I included it under aged athletes because the wording threw me a bit..."adult athletes" not being in the syllabus and all...*sigh*
now i sit back and think about it, there are so many ways to answer that one.....its was tough. As long as you put something i guess that fell into the category of an "adult" or "aged" athlete then you should be ok.

Yeah i took adult to mean normal, thats just how i read the question. In my text book adult and aged athletes are under the same heading, it says "this section deals with athletes aged 40yrs of age or more..."

in the syllabus, the heading is...

adult and aged athletes
 heart conditions
 fractures/bone density
 flexibility/joint mobility
explain the sports participation options available for aged people with medical conditions

so yeah, adult is in the syllabus, but the focus is on aged...... who knows. I guess we'll see when they bring out the notes from the marking centre and it reads "the candidature had NFI when talking about adult and aged athletes...."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)