Advanced math or Standard math with a bridging course later on? (1 Viewer)

AmalJ

HSC
I'm rethinking my choice of doing advanced math instead of standard for HSC. Currently, I'm at my class's average in 5.2 maths (which isn't really that good I won't lie) and I know that realistically I won't be able to achieve my atar goal if I continue on this path + will waste a lot of time I could spend on boosting my other subjects. I'm not good at math but I'm passionate about science and pursuing stem in uni.

Should I consider changing my subject selection to Standard and then take bridging courses at a later time? Perhaps even taking a gap year to solidify my math foundation (since it seems that's the root of my issues with math, I usually grasp the content really well when it's first introduced but as we explore it more & rely on previous topics we learned, I fall through.) Or should I be stubborn and push through? I believe I'd score better in standard despite scaling since I'm a "wordy" person and the part that's currently carrying my math grade is financial math although I'm hesitant about making the switch as advanced is a prerequisite for my uni options.

What are your opinions?

icycledough

HSC
Well, I'd say there are 2 benefits to doing Standard Maths instead of Advanced Maths.

1) Although the scaling isn't as favourable as Advanced, if you are more confident in doing Standard Maths if you can achieve a much better rank, then you should do so (as for internals, performance is all about ranks); also consider which one you will enjoy more out of the two

2) There are definitely bridging courses for Advanced Maths at university if it is a pre-requisite for your course. Consider some of the available bridging courses below for Advanced Maths:

UNSW --> https://www.science.unsw.edu.au/study-us/undergraduate/bridging-courses/mathematics-bridging-course

MQ --> https://www.mq.edu.au/faculty-of-science-and-engineering/study-with-us/bridging-courses

I did find ones for USYD and UTS, but they were only for Maths Extension 1, so wouldn't be helpful as you were seeking Maths Advanced content. Also considering that self-revision can be quite helpful as well by just obtaining a textbook and going through it, but bridging courses will definitely provide you with personalized help and support with it. As you are also in year 11 at the moment, you still have a lot of time to decide with your subject selections, so there is no rush to make a decision at the moment; consult with teachers and older friends and tutors for further advice

sab13562

HSC
I'm rethinking my choice of doing advanced math instead of standard for HSC. Currently, I'm at my class's average in 5.2 maths (which isn't really that good I won't lie) and I know that realistically I won't be able to achieve my atar goal if I continue on this path + will waste a lot of time I could spend on boosting my other subjects. I'm not good at math but I'm passionate about science and pursuing stem in uni.

Should I consider changing my subject selection to Standard and then take bridging courses at a later time? Perhaps even taking a gap year to solidify my math foundation (since it seems that's the root of my issues with math, I usually grasp the content really well when it's first introduced but as we explore it more & rely on previous topics we learned, I fall through.) Or should I be stubborn and push through? I believe I'd score better in standard despite scaling since I'm a "wordy" person and the part that's currently carrying my math grade is financial math although I'm hesitant about making the switch as advanced is a prerequisite for my uni options.

What are your opinions?
I would say go for standard. I did it and I was a 5.3 high achieving student, no regrets whatsoever, the pressure relieved was so worth it and allowed me to focus on harder subjects like economics.
Also, some unis don't make you do bridging courses rather you do a maths subject as first year.
Most unis don't even ask for a maths prerequisite, except USYD, but that's easily fixable with USYD's MOOC, which will allow you to do courses with an advanced prerequisite even without doing advanced provided you pass the exam which you can do anytime during year 12.

Johnny Sins

HSC
I dont think medicine requires super hard maths. You should be fine with either standard or advanced.

icycledough

HSC
Medicine definitely doesn't test maths further than a standard level (I believe just knowing how to solve simple equations should be enough); the reason why many students doing medicine will do the higher levels of Maths (4U, 3U) is because of its greater scaling and also because of their capabilities with being able to do a hard subject

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad

What are your opinions?
I suggest doing the subject that best fits your mathematical ability or is a slightly above your ability. Don’t do standard just because it’s easier and you think it will help your atar. Scaling and all that neutralises it.

Just as a side note Adv maths especially important if you’re pursuing STEM. At Usyd and UNSW I would recommend being proficient in at least 3u Maths because the Math courses start at the 4u Math level. Doing standard math means you will miss out on the most core fundamentals such as calculus and what not. Bridging courses are extremely short and are not a substitute.

Not trying to scare you but I cannot stress it enough, do not pick standard just because it’s easier. If you think adv is within your ability do it.

AmalJ

HSC
I suggest doing the subject that best fits your mathematical ability or is a slightly above your ability. Don’t do standard just because it’s easier and you think it will help your atar. Scaling and all that neutralises it.

Just as a side note Adv maths especially important if you’re pursuing STEM. At Usyd and UNSW I would recommend being proficient in at least 3u Maths because the Math courses start at the 4u Math level. Doing standard math means you will miss out on the most core fundamentals such as calculus and what not. Bridging courses are extremely short and are not a substitute.

Not trying to scare you but I cannot stress it enough, do not pick standard just because it’s easier. If you think adv is within your ability do it.
Do you think that getting a tutor would be enough to bridge my (already pretty wide) gap in knowledge in time for HSC? I really do want to do adv but I'm not really a risk-taker and my math teacher is seriously against me doing it. The thing that's holding me back the most is likely how seriously lacking I am in my math foundations.

icycledough

HSC
Do you think that getting a tutor would be enough to bridge my (already pretty wide) gap in knowledge in time for HSC? I really do want to do adv but I'm not really a risk-taker and my math teacher is seriously against me doing it. The thing that's holding me back the most is likely how seriously lacking I am in my math foundations.
Also remember that going to tutoring for any subject is only for extra guidance or for an extra push. So you shouldn't be relying completely on a tutor to get to where you want to. The best students may or may not have tutors, but what they have in common is that they work their socks off. So I definitely believe you can prove your teacher wrong and do advanced if you want to.

Reactions: 8=D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)