Advice on what I should do to transfer? (1 Viewer)

Vidhya

HSC
So I got a relatively low ATAR for combined law (95.75) and I'm wanting to do Int Studies/Law at either Usyd or UNSW but I don't know if I should do Int Studies at UNSW for a year and apply for an internal transfer (as it is 100% based on how you went in the degree) or do the same at Usyd (but transfers are 50% atar 50% course marks). Where would I have better chance and which has the better Int Studies program?
Or should I study the combined degree at UWS for a year and then transfer to either of the two unis?

Thanks, and have a happy new years all :)

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
Probably UNSW because of their Internal Transfer Program but you'll have to smash it with a Distinction average.

+ you should defs make unsw int. studies because they have a shitload of bonus points

Vidhya

HSC
Why not go Macq. Law?
cut-off is 95.95 and besides, i wanna do law at unsw

and i've come to realise that if i do int studies, i'll have a year to think about whether i really, absolutely want to do law.

avro

HSC
USyd usually has it on their law faculty page that the minimum ATAR cut-off is 97+ (people on this forum have said 98+ before though) in order to have a reasonably competitive chance with applying to combined law. Go with UNSW.

izzy88

HSC
USyd usually has it on their law faculty page that the minimum ATAR cut-off is 97+ (people on this forum have said 98+ before though) in order to have a reasonably competitive chance with applying to combined law. Go with UNSW.
unfortunately i have to agree with this. For USYD you need at least 97+ atar to be in with a chance, and many have not gotten a transfer even with the 97 (ie. they have needed a higher atar). I would go with UNSW if they have better chances then usyd for transferring.

However if you don't manage to transfer, you can always apply for the graduate JD at either UNSW or USYD. In the end its only one extra year, and having a JD, rather than combined LLB is no disadvantage in the workforce.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
However if you don't manage to transfer, you can always apply for the graduate JD at either UNSW or USYD. In the end its only one extra year, and having a JD, rather than combined LLB is no disadvantage in the workforce.
This. If you want to study law at USyd, why not do a Bachelor of International and Global Studies at USyd for 3 years, attain that credit to distinction GPA and apply for the Juris Doctor at USyd? The JD is just basically the postgraduate equivalent to the LLB. It only takes a year extra (so 6 years in total) and there's a school of thought that argues that the JD is superior to the LLB.

Check this out for further info: http://sydney.edu.au/law/news/docs_pdfs_images/2011/July/2012SydneyJurisDoctorGuide.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)