Advice on yr 11 and 12 biology (1 Viewer)

ObninbO

HSC
I chose Biology for year 11 and 12. However in my trial examination i got 47% overall. I have'nt done my SC yet, but judging from those results could people suggest the work load, and how hard year 11 and 12 Biology is.

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
If you liked the biological section of science then do bio. Just do bio if you like it. yr 11 will be boring as an arbitrary opinion, but the hsc course is the most interesting one!

ObninbO

HSC
I am taking bio because i might want to do work with animals, or something along those lines so i just wanted to keep options open. I also enjoy graphic design, IT. etc.

Cardea

HSC
Do you mean the SC Trial for science?

Year 11 Biology is interesting enough, it's not completely boring. In my opinion, anyway. People often say that Biology isn't one of the more difficult science subjects and it isn't to some degree. But there is a lot of content involved in all the units and you have to have at least a decent understanding of the concepts, which often have links with other units.

Personally, the most interesting topic in Yr 11 Bio was Patterns in Nature, but yeah, the HSC course is more interesting to learn. Choose it if you wish, and if you enjoy the subject. As long as you work hard and consistently - particularly in Year 12 - then you'll do well. And if you're considering studying science at uni, biology is often a prerequisite.

C_Hanna

HSC
Don't make the same mistake I did and choose bio over chem, you'll regret it BIG time, like how I'm regretting it now. I even got to the stage where I took serious thought into completing the HSC over 2 years.

Kamal15

HSC
lol many a debate has gone down over the difficulty of bio as a science
after completing hsc bio this year all i can say is that bio is a relief
its a breath of fresh air in the stressful hsc period
it doesnt require the degree of conceptual understanding demanded by chem and phys and it is definitely easier to grasp. In the end i would recommend bio to anyone and the yr 12 course is particulary fun and enjoyable. Wouldnt be able to say the same for yr 11 but then again didnt pay much attention bak then :sun:

muhahahahahaha

HSC
i used to do bio and physics but now i only do bio. its really interesting. i really love year 11 bio. i have just started yr 12 bio and it is really fun. i love learning about kidneys and haemoglobin and ATP etc etc etc. awesome subject 10/10 :)
screw physics:hammer: take that physics :) :) :)
my advice...do something you really love. dont do something because your teachers think its good or coz ur parents tell u to do it.

ajay098

HSC
hey,

i did all three sciences for my HSC and i believe to do well in Bio, you honestly need a good memory. The concepts are easy and i agree it is much easier than chem and phy. you can get extra help with understanding the content. if you like animals, you should enjoy it but keep in mind that you do have to study plants :cry: ( which is not that bad). i agree with the statement that you should do what you love.

HSC
N/A
trust me, i hated science from 7-10, but loved biology. Its great, interesting and fun (well for me),

what u can do is pin point the reasons y ur not doing good at it (like less study or ur finding it interesting)

look at the books- ie the year 11 and 12 bio textbooks and see if u like it.

or if not do the subject for abt 2 weeks or so then if possible change it.

anyway gd luck.......

ps: thats how i started liking bio :)

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
agree ^
your skills/marks in science from junior years dont necessarily have to reflect your yr11 marks :p

do it if you want to, dont worry about scaling/how hard the subject is

do it for the first few weeks (i think most schools let you just "trial" subjects for the first 2 or 3 weeks then let you drop if you dont like and pick up another subject), if you like it then keep it, if youre finding it difficult then apply yourself a bit more (unlikely youd need to, the bio concepts are really simple its just the amount of content youd need to remember is about roughly 1.5- 2x the content in the other sciences)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)