ADVICE PLEASE! (1 Viewer)

ltnnnn23

HSC
Hey! I’m currently in Year 12 (graduating 2023) and I am doing 12 units at school
My subjects are:
- 3u Maths
- 3u English
- PDHPE
- Chemistry
- Biology

My school has an accelerated maths program so I was able to complete 3 units with the class of 2022

My plan was to wait until HSC results for maths come out in December to decide whether or not to drop PDHPE. But honestly, i’m not enjoying the subject and would rather to drop now.

My concern is that I will not get a mark for Ext maths that I am happy with (I want a band e3 at least), and if i drop PDHPE, they will count the ‘bad’ ext mark into my hsc as I will only have 10 units.

But, if i keep PDHPE and get a bad ext mark, i can try harder in PDHPE and hopefully my ext mark won’t count towards my hsc.

I do have the option to repeat EXT 1 Maths with my current cohort but I don’t see myself doing better in the course in any way even if it is my second time doing it. So that option is essentially ruled out for me

I’m not doing too bad in PDHPE. I ranked 11/55 in my Year 11 final report with an average of 80%. But like I mentioned before, I dread coming to class and am desperate to drop!!!

Any advice/input is welcome. Thanks!

Vall

HSC
Think about what sort of ATAR / HSC marks you need / want for university, later in life, flexing on friends / family, etc. If you are aiming for some crazy 99.95 ATAR you should probably keep PDHPE and try to do really well in it. On the other hand if your aim is 70 or something (that's just a random lowish number) then just drop PDHPE cause you don't like it.

Epicman69

HSC
Hey! I’m currently in Year 12 (graduating 2023) and I am doing 12 units at school
My subjects are:
- 3u Maths
- 3u English
- PDHPE
- Chemistry
- Biology

My school has an accelerated maths program so I was able to complete 3 units with the class of 2022

My plan was to wait until HSC results for maths come out in December to decide whether or not to drop PDHPE. But honestly, i’m not enjoying the subject and would rather to drop now.

My concern is that I will not get a mark for Ext maths that I am happy with (I want a band e3 at least), and if i drop PDHPE, they will count the ‘bad’ ext mark into my hsc as I will only have 10 units.

But, if i keep PDHPE and get a bad ext mark, i can try harder in PDHPE and hopefully my ext mark won’t count towards my hsc.

I do have the option to repeat EXT 1 Maths with my current cohort but I don’t see myself doing better in the course in any way even if it is my second time doing it. So that option is essentially ruled out for me

I’m not doing too bad in PDHPE. I ranked 11/55 in my Year 11 final report with an average of 80%. But like I mentioned before, I dread coming to class and am desperate to drop!!!

Any advice/input is welcome. Thanks!
My advice is to NOT drop any subject until after your first assessments are done and also you are sure 100% that it is a subject you will not and can not have the urge to study for. I say this from my friend's experiences during our HSC year (2022), where he dropped Physics and Engineering way too early (same reason as you even though he was performing quite well in both), and that detrimentally impacted his ATAR as he found out that he really struggled with 4 unit maths and Chemistry (basically bottom 5 ranked for both subjects :C) because that is the reality of the HSC and attaining a high atar (really most of life tbh), it's not about what you enjoy, it is about what you are good at and can get the highest achievements for, obviously people tend to be better at things they enjoy but that is not always the case. So just wait and try your best in all your subjects right now, also if you are aiming for a very high atar, you should change your mindset into "I HAVE to do well in EVERY SUBJECT", which for me personally my mindset for this entire year was "Do or DIE" basically and ... it worked out quite well for me, I ended up top ranked in all my subjects (Except english, my abilities were just dog ass in this subject), so just depends on you. BUT DO NOT DROP ANYTHING AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

Sorry if this sounded cringe lol, I just don't want people to make the same mistake as my friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)