After The Bomb 2012 (1 Viewer)

Deep Blue

HSC
Hey all 2012's, who is doing after the bomb for their Ext 1 elective? Is anyone else worried about how they will go? The texts I am studying are:
-Hiroshima
-Waiting For Godot
-Catch 22
-The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

ali321

HSC
Uni Grad
We're doing Waiting for Godot, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and Sylvia Plath I think. And yes, I am a bit worried. I did quite well in year 11 but this year sounds a lot more challenging with all the concepts you have to wrap your head around and also the creative section I am not looking forward to!

Last edited:

silentdreamer

HSC
we're doing Hiroshima, Waiting for Godot and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold as well. I'm a bit worried about the creative but not too concerned at the moment. having a bit of trouble looking for related texts though.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ohhh I'm doing that elective! I assumed I would be the only one!

The texts we are studying in depth are Spy Who Came in From the Cold, Sylvia Plath poetry and Waiting for Godot. We're also looking at some other supporting texts like Catch 22, Threads etc.

bigbirdbanana

HSC
Hey guys, I'm a 2011 After the Bomb-er so I just thought I'd share my related texts. I used the film The Manchurian Candidate (the original) as well as JFK's Inaugural Address (as a point of juxtaposition). The first one clearly deals with the concerns of the period, with a strong sense of the paranoia etc. The second has obvious political slants and does not reflect the subversive nature of many AtB texts, but it does discuss similar issues and can be juxtaposed with the other texts to demonstrate how there were a variety of perspectives at the time.

Just thought I'd share :)

ali321

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I'm a 2011 After the Bomb-er so I just thought I'd share my related texts. I used the film The Manchurian Candidate (the original) as well as JFK's Inaugural Address (as a point of juxtaposition). The first one clearly deals with the concerns of the period, with a strong sense of the paranoia etc. The second has obvious political slants and does not reflect the subversive nature of many AtB texts, but it does discuss similar issues and can be juxtaposed with the other texts to demonstrate how there were a variety of perspectives at the time.

Just thought I'd share :)
Thanks for that!! I'm exploring related text ideas right now, except I think our teacher wants us to choose one from the 70s as our prescribed are centered around the beginning of the period

isabellatres

HSC
Uni Grad
After the Bomb is the best one ever!
I came 2nd in my year (I'm at a selective school) this year 2011
I used:
the unbearable lightness of being by milan kundera and
white noise by don delillo
ALSO, all the markers love white noise because it looks sophisticated and it is unusual in that it is late cold war era

Bozo275

HSC
Am about to finish After the Bomb next week (wish me luck!). I did Hiroshima, Waiting for Godot and Sylvia Plath. Don't freak out. Hiroshima and Waiting for Godot are the easiest to study. You will NOT get asked to write about all four of those texts, so don't freak out about the amount of work. After the Bomb is one of the best to do because people study this module the least (most do Romanticism).

So to anyone doing After the Bomb - don't freak out, it is a fantastic module, just make sure you do extra reading on the Cold War period so you understand the context well, because this becomes very important. Extension English also scales well. I'm not doing overly well in it, as I only did it in order to do Extension 2 English.

Enjoy the module, it's one of the more interesting ones! If you want any notes or advice don't hesitate to message me :)

Maddi295

HSC
I'm very confused about the purpose of the module. Are we simply comparing texts throughout the Cold War era or what? I'm not excellent at English, and am doing a total of 14 units, so I don't think this one will count, but I would still like to give 100%, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
:) :)

bigbirdbanana

HSC
It's more about the dominant concerns and thoughts of people (paradigms) within this period (Cold War/After the Bomb) and how these are shown in your prescribed and related material - hence the title of the module 'Texts and ways of thinking'.

Hope that helped! Also, i would seriously reconsider doing 14 units if i were you! That's extremely difficult particularly with a course as demanding as Extension English. Just a suggestion :)

Maddi295

HSC
Well part of those is an accelerated extension 1 maths course... haha :)
but thanks, that helped alot :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Arr this elective is so great. I love Sylvia Plath poetry though-she's always been rather one of my favourite poets.

I was so relieved when we didn't do Sci Fi. Romanticism I did so much in yr 11 so nice change. There was another very interesting elective though-something about feminist perspective that sounded good too?

avro

HSC
I'm studying Plath, Catch-22 & Waiting for Godot. To be honest, I don't mind Plath's work. I came first in my cohort for EE1 Prelim; I'm hoping I'll be able to keep my rank, however, I still am a bit apprehensive. So far, so good though.

ali321

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone have any suggestions for related material? Preferably not a novel, play or poetry, as I have those mediums for prescribed, and from the later cold-war period (70s, 80s). I have a few I am exploring but none really stand out to me. I am very indecisive and worried about choosing the wrong one :S
Thank you!

evanstroeve

Premium Member
HSC
Does anyone have any suggestions for related material? Preferably not a novel, play or poetry, as I have those mediums for prescribed, and from the later cold-war period (70s, 80s). I have a few I am exploring but none really stand out to me. I am very indecisive and worried about choosing the wrong one :S
Thank you!
My teacher made sure we had a good strong bank of related material, so here are some I used throughout the year:
- Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty-Four'. Novel: It voices Orwell’s concerns about ultimate totalitarianism, already partly realised in Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia at the time of publication, 1949.
- Clooney's 'Good Night and Good Luck'. Film: It's historically accurate I think, so a historical piece about McCarthyist America.
- Kubrick's 'Dr. Strangelove.'. Film: Tied in so nicely with Catch-22, it satirises everything in much the same way.
- Dylan's 'The Times they are a-changin'. Song: Echoed the deep-seeded unrest of the times.
- Ginsberg's 'Howl'. Poem: MY FAVOURITE, although you said preferably not poetry. Nonetheless, if you force yourself to sit and read through it a few times, out loud, and then watch the movie ('Howl' starring James Franco), or read other articles about it, I think you will agree that it is PERFECT for the elective.

I uploaded an essay which is just waiting to be cleared. I used 'Howl' and 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' in that, so it might provide you with some further ideas.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

HadBill

HSC
Uni Grad
RELATED TEXT - GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK

I have chosen this movie as a possible related text for After the Bomb. However, I'm not sure what it conveys about the Cold War period?
More specifically, what can I argue the film portrays in relation to the particular concerns of the period?

i-am-sarah

HSC
I'm studying Waiting for Godot and Hiroshima in depth and we're supposed to have read and mildly studied Catch 22 and the Spy Who Came in From the Cold.
I only have one supplementary at the moment and that's an extract from Paul Tillich's "The Shaking of the Foundations".
I'm kind of worried about the analysis response because I can't get my thoughts onto paper with this topic! I'm worried mostly because even though I may go well compared to the tiny number of students who take year 12 E1 in my school (there's two of us including myself!), I don't think I'm up to scratch on the grand scale of everybody else.
We're essentially competing against the best of the best.

Astraea

HSC
Am about to finish After the Bomb next week (wish me luck!). I did Hiroshima, Waiting for Godot and Sylvia Plath. Don't freak out. Hiroshima and Waiting for Godot are the easiest to study. You will NOT get asked to write about all four of those texts, so don't freak out about the amount of work. After the Bomb is one of the best to do because people study this module the least (most do Romanticism).

So to anyone doing After the Bomb - don't freak out, it is a fantastic module, just make sure you do extra reading on the Cold War period so you understand the context well, because this becomes very important. Extension English also scales well. I'm not doing overly well in it, as I only did it in order to do Extension 2 English.

Enjoy the module, it's one of the more interesting ones! If you want any notes or advice don't hesitate to message me :)
Hey Bozo275, it will be real nice if you could give me some notes on Waiting for Godot and Hiroshima! Can u send it to the email nadesgalore@gmail.com

P

Phieeso

I was given an essay to write in response to "aspects of political, social and personal anxiety are the main concern of the elective, After the bomb. How are these aspects given significance in the texts you have studied for this elective"

-the teacher did a run through and explained each of the 'anxieties' stated above but the silly me relied on my memory and didn't write it down. So now I'm confused :( can you please explain to me what these mean?
Thanks in advance :)

hope14

HSC
Okay... So I am doing After the Bomb and have midterms in a few weeks and am yet to choose related texts (yes, I know don't stress me out about this).

Any brilliant suggestions? We are primarily studying Hiroshima and Catch 22 (and will later do Waiting for Godot).

I was thinking MASH but am not sure how this would go. And do I need to do all of it or just 1 (or a few) episodes?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)