• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Algorithms in HSC exams (1 Viewer)

ihatehsc24

HSC
In the HSC exam, how many algorithm questions do they usually give? By algorithm questions I mean the ones where you actually have to write algorithms.

Demons

HSC
From what I’ve seen in the past papers I’ve done there is usually always one 5 or 4 mark algorithm near the end of section 2. Then there is usually 2 or 3 or sometimes even 4 3 marks or less algorithm questions scattered across section 2

ihatehsc24

HSC
From what I’ve seen in the past papers I’ve done there is usually always one 5 or 4 mark algorithm near the end of section 2. Then there is usually 2 or 3 or sometimes even 4 3 marks or less algorithm questions scattered across section 2
Ah I see, algorithms is usually my weak area in SDD, and in my trials I only got 2 questions (3-4 markers) where I had to write algorithms so was hoping it'd be the same in HSC.

Demons

HSC
This is excluding desk checks and all the other non writing algorithm stuff

ihatehsc24

HSC
This is excluding desk checks and all the other non writing algorithm stuff
Yup! I am usually fine with desk check and other algo questions but in the ones where you actually write them- those one are a problem for me but i guess the only way to get better at them is practice under timed conditions.

Demons

HSC
Yup! I am usually fine with desk check and other algo questions but in the ones where you actually write them- those one are a problem for me but i guess the only way to get better at them is practice under timed conditions.
One thing i would tell you is that for the algorithms try have a modular approach to it, so try make your code in subprograms and then connect it with a main line so you don’t miss any functionality and it’s easier for the markers to read and understand

Demons

HSC
And please don’t use any letter as the variable names make it meaningful cause that just makes it harder to understand your logic making you lose a few marks

ihatehsc24

HSC
And please don’t use any letter as the variable names make it meaningful cause that just makes it harder to understand your logic making you lose a few marks
Thanks for these great tips, will defo keep in mind. And also I only use letter in loops, maybe I shouldn't do that.

Demons

HSC
If you want we can do one algorithm question together and upload it here to mark each other

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)