"Aligning" (1 Viewer)

sakatahahaha

HSC
N/A
this process of aligning has me confused.. I done my hsc 2011, thought i'd post here though since none is replying in the 2011 section anymore loll. So the aligning process is like say you get 90 for economics it aligns to 97 or something. Does this mean say I received a 90 for economics and umm say 90 for assessment as well, when i receive my marks would it should I received 90 or would it show my mart was 97 since it was aligned to the difficulty of the exam bla bla..

Also my brother done his HSC in 2006 he received 89 for physics. Although, he only received band 5 since band 6 is 90-100 band 5 80-89 bla bla... was this process of band cut offs not available back in 2006 because i know now to be a band 6 in one subject doesn't necessarily mean you got 90, i.e. last year i think if you got 84 in economics you receive a band 6 .. is this how it works now and did it not happen back in 2006?

Thank you guys

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It has been happening for over a decade now - so it definitely affected your brother. His aligned mark was 89 - which probably was about 70 or so raw in Physics.

When you receive your marks next week you will see three marks:

1. the aligned exam mark - that is the mark that puts you into a band based on the decisions by the judging team as to where the cut-offs between the bands are e.g. one subject may have a cut-off of 70 for a band 6 so that means that a raw mark of 70 will be reported as 90 and all marks over 70 will be adjusted upwards accordingly, in another subject the cut-off could be 89 meaning a much smaller adjustment.

2. the moderated assessment mark - this is the mark based on the one the school sent in that has been moderated using your cohort's exam marks as the basis for that assessment - they have to do that to make sure that marks reflect the fact that schools set different tasks and mark them differently

3. the average of the above marks - which is what your final mark is - and this is the one that might see your name in the paper - as if this mark if over 90 you will have a Band 6 in the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)