Aligning (1 Viewer)

MCOLT

HSC
what do you guys reckon will be the cutoff for a band 6 since this years legal studies was harder than usual

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Seeing how my whole class, but me and a friend, walked out 30 minutes before the end of the exam I think we can safely say it'll be a lot lower this year.

Smartie87

HSC
so wat like an 85 could be a band 6???? do they scale that mark up then to something over 90???

Pro Gamer

HSC
Meldrum said:
Seeing how my whole class, but me and a friend, walked out 30 minutes before the end of the exam I think we can safely say it'll be a lot lower this year.
Did they walk out because it was too easy or they just couldnt handle it? :p

muhammad 1

HSC
Smartie87 said:
so wat like an 85 could be a band 6???? do they scale that mark up then to something over 90???
It's very very possible considering 19marks of the exam were extremely difficult to attain and not many people knew how to answer them ie.7 and 12mark crime q's.

MCOLT

HSC
i think the cutoff for band 6 is going to be about 82/84 since if crime was such a bitch

cimbom

HSC
84 :) . Would too many people have band 6s then?

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Meldrum said:

haha you think that's bad, a person sitting next to me walked out an hour after the exam started, ie 2 hours early. there's about 50 ppl doing legal in my year and i kid you not, by the end of the exam, atleast 10 people had already walked out early. i bet half of them did it cause they didn't know anything.....most of em were bludgers anyway.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
mate, its called scaling. i can't be bothered to explain, if anyone else can, please go ahead.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh they have to scale the external marks....

This is beacuse people do different subjects, one subjects exam may be harder than another, etc etc.
Beacuse exams are marked on standards, the difficulty of a particular exam also has an impact. One year you might have a copuple hundred raw band 6s, the next only a handful beacuse that exam was harder.

Say in Legal the highest mark was 92, but in say History it was 100.....Thats not exactly fair as the exams could have differed in difficulty....

So the marks are scaled so no matter what subjects you do, and no matter what the difficulty of the exam was, you are assesed fairly with everoybody in the state

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
thank you rafy. adding to that an example....say the highest marks was 89, no band 6's at all, that 89 would prolly be scaled to maybe a high 90's along with people who got that mark. so people who got like 85 would probably end up with a low 90's i.e band 6

that's a bit of my understanding

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
yes it was very easy, just the last 2 qs in crime were crap.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh it was just those crime questions. Pity they were worth so many marks, thats why there is a problem.

nyway to add to the aligning thing. Its also why choosing subjects based on scaling is crap. At the end of the process you should get a mark that will present your ability NO MATTER what subjects you choose. Idealyly you would get that same mark, were you to have chosen different combinations of subjects.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
mate, its called scaling. i can't be bothered to explain, if anyone else can, please go ahead.
I know how scaling works, I did my HSC two years ago.

HSC
Um, they don't just compare raw marks between different subjects, they don't go "Oh look, 50 people got 95+ in maths but no one got 95+ in legal so therefore we have to make the assumption that legal was that much harder than maths and must therefore be scaled right up." They take into account how the candidature of each subject performed in all of their other exams compared to the rest of the state, not just adjust each exam's marks to match every other exam.

Legal studies is generally a poorly scaled subject, so unless we all did really well in every other of our exams and really badly in legal, the BOS is not going to adjusting the marks very much at all.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Trippendicular said:
Um, they don't just compare raw marks between different subjects, they don't go "Oh look, 50 people got 95+ in maths but no one got 95+ in legal so therefore we have to make the assumption that legal was that much harder than maths and must therefore be scaled right up." They take into account how the candidature of each subject performed in all of their other exams compared to the rest of the state, not just adjust each exam's marks to match every other exam.

Legal studies is generally a poorly scaled subject, so unless we all did really well in every other of our exams and really badly in legal, the BOS is not going to adjusting the marks very much at all.
it scales up, have a look on SAM retard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)