alignment (1 Viewer)

stressedadfff

HSC
how does alignment work for our raw marks, say im getting 73% in a course whilst the highest is currently 77% how would this be aligned if we get/or not get higher marks in externals? thanks!!

idkkdi

HSC
how does alignment work for our raw marks, say im getting 73% in a course whilst the highest is currently 77% how would this be aligned if we get/or not get higher marks in externals? thanks!!
that's not alignment, that's moderation lol.

basically your internal marks are useless, it's really the rank that matters much more.
im sure there's been like 10 posts on this.

take your internal rank. for instance, number 5.
take the 5th ranked external mark achieved by someone from your cohort, and that is now your internal mark.
this is a simplified model, but it's basically true.

stressedadfff

HSC
that's not alignment, that's moderation lol.

basically your internal marks are useless, it's really the rank that matters much more.
im sure there's been like 10 posts on this.

take your internal rank. for instance, number 5.
take the 5th ranked external mark achieved by someone from your cohort, and that is now your internal mark.
this is a simplified model, but it's basically true.
shit so internal mark is really really important? like more than hsc

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
shit so internal mark is really really important? like more than hsc
In the end, your assessment mark (internals) and HSC exam mark (externals) are worth 50% of your final HSC mark each. I wouldn't say one is more important than the other as you need to be performing to the best of your abilities in both your internal assessments and trial exams (which is manifest through high ranks) as well as achieving a good result in the HSC exam if you wish to receive a high ATAR.

As mentioned above, with the moderation process, the highest assessment mark is adjusted to equal the highest exam mark of any student in the school group.

Have a look at this video from NESA in order to gain a better understanding of the moderation process:

Leadmen4y

HSC
In the end, your assessment mark (internals) and HSC exam mark (externals) are worth 50% of your final HSC mark each. I wouldn't say one is more important than the other as you need to be performing to the best of your abilities in both your internal assessments and trial exams (which is manifest through high ranks) as well as achieving a good result in the HSC exam if you wish to receive a high ATAR.

As mentioned above, with the moderation process, the highest assessment mark is adjusted to equal the highest exam mark of any student in the school group.

Have a look at this video from NESA in order to gain a better understanding of the moderation process:

to add on to this, so even if you're getting like below 80% (like me lol in standard eng), but your rank is really high, if your cohort (or just you if you're coming 1st) pop off in externals you can still bag a high atar. coming 1st with 70% is no different to coming 1st with 100% internally basically. I think the point is that some school have really hard or really easy school assessments, so this kinda balances it out.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
to add on to this, so even if you're getting like below 80% (like me lol in standard eng), but your rank is really high, if your cohort (or just you if you're coming 1st) pop off in externals you can still bag a high atar. coming 1st with 70% is no different to coming 1st with 100% internally basically. I think the point is that some school have really hard or really easy school assessments, so this kinda balances it out.
Yeah this was how I was able to reach a band 5 as my final HSC mark for maths. I was averaging 70% in my internals but my rank was good enough (36/146) for my assessment mark to go up to 83% and I performed similarly in my HSC exam.

stressedadfff

HSC
what percentile would be a safe place to stay in like top 10%, 20% of the cohort etc?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
what percentile would be a safe place to stay in like top 10%, 20% of the cohort etc?
That depends on your ATAR aim. I remember you once mentioning you're aiming for an ATAR in the high 80's? I think the percentiles you suggested would be good enough for you. Of course, it's always best to try to aim as high as possible just to be safe.

Leadmen4y

HSC
that is a question probably impossible to answer, it differs based on ur cohort. like for eg in my school a 80% would be top 3 for standard English lmao while the same % in a top 15 school would probably be below average

Leadmen4y

HSC
That depends on your ATAR aim. I remember you once mentioning you're aiming for an ATAR in the high 80's? I think the percentiles you suggested would be good enough for you. Of course, it's always best to try to aim as high as possible just to be safe.
I thought she meant what % of school assessment for a high rank or am I tripping?

Leadmen4y

HSC
yesss what do you think for the 90s, top 5-15%?
while its impossible to predict how well your cohort do in their hsc, you have 100% control over your hsc mark which is 50% of it already, but of course doing well in trials and giving your a rank a boost will make your goals a lot easier. usually ppl start sharing notes and helping each other out after trials for the reason of "if everyone do well, I do well".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)