all bogalie with de Broglie!!! (1 Viewer)

geniass

HELP!!!! de Broglie and ANY dot points referring to him!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE!!!!!

geniass

orright then.....i need help with

"Describe the impact of the de Broglie proposal that any kind of particle has both wave and particle properties." and

"Explain the stability of the electron orbits in the Bohr atom using de Broglie's hypothesis."
Thanks for any help guys.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
shit!!! i typed all that crab, den pressed esc... >.< '

okz, there is it again:

he extended einstein's wave-particle duality from photon to all matters, claiming that all matters must possess both wave and particle properties...

he also proposed that electrons exist around nucleus in the form of standin waves (cf guitar string) and its energy is transfered from ke to pe constantly... this solves the delimma at the time that, under classical physics, a charged particle such as electron, travellin will lose energy as the form of emr and eventually crash into the nucleus...

17th_angel

HSC
N/A
* De Broglie suggested that if light waves can behave like particles, could particles behave like waves? (Why cant we think of electrons as having a wave character?)

*He predicted that the wavelength of these particles should be inversely proportional to their mass and velocity:
For a photon E = hf = hc/ = mc2. Thus, h/ = mc but mc is the momentum of the photon and so =h/momentum. Apply this to particles de Broglie thought that =h/momentum (de Broglie equation) or =h/mv (associated wavelength with particle). These particles have rest mass and can travel at any speed while a photon can only travel at speed c, and has no rest mass associated with it.

*De Broglie imagined the electron orbit as like a standing wave pattern around the atom. Allowed orbits were those in which an integral number of electron wavelengths exactly fitted the circumference of the orbit.

Thus 2r = n and since = h/mv then 2r = nh/mv

and therefore 2rmv = nh or mvr = nh/2

This is precisely the postulate put forward by Bohr. The condition for the quantisation of angular momentum for electrons in a stable orbit now had a theoretical basis

The waveform produced is a graph of the probability of finding the electron at a given place and time. Chemists often think of the standing wave amplitude as the charge density of the electron around the orbit. The issue now is that it is no longer possible to use real world analogies to accurately describe the nature of matter. The wave model of quantum mechanics is principally mathematical and really can only be understood in those terms. Erwin Schrodinger developed the mathematical equation to describe these waves.

* Thus the de Broglie suggestion gave a theoretical justification for the concept of a stable orbit as proposed by Bohr. It also represented the first breakaway from a model based on both classical physics and new quantum ideas. Quantum mechanics was developed as a new highly successful theory based on the wave-particle duality.

Those weird symbols are lambda signs- I think you should be able to figure the equations out. I suggest when studying for the Phys HSC, make comprehensive notes and memorise them all like me!! It's so not the same at Uni...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)