All local students, Attention!! (1 Viewer)

hj1985

HSC
Hi, I'm an international student who has graduated from USYD last year. I just wanna do a quick survey about how local students think of those overseas students in the campus(we are gettting more and more overseas students nowadays!!). Just feel free to express your opinions.:karate:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I have my standard cliched opinion on this matter. I've been in a class with noticable international students only once, and the fact that they held up tutorial discussion in what was otherwise a bloody fantastic tutorial annoyed me somewhat. Other than that, they've been pretty invisible to me.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
As long as they can speak english properly (or i have a translator handy), they're alright...i've had good and bad experiences

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Haven't started uni yet, but I'd love to make some friends with int'l students!

Shaking Paper

HSC
In my experience, North American ones seem to fit right in. East asian students seem to be classroom filler, having little impact because they tend only speak to people from their country (but have caused problems for me in group tasks).

Last edited:

decypher

HSC
Shaking Paper said:
In my experience, North American ones seem to fit right in. South-East asian students seem to be classroom filler, having little impact because they tend only speak to people from their country (but have caused problems for me in group tasks).

hj1985

HSC
You might find that in group tasks, international students (from Asia) won't help much? Am I right?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Yes, more and more asian fobs who aren't accustomed to our culture or respectfulness.
Alot of them just won't shut up in the library, i sat in special reserve in Usyd on wed and whole groups as asians wouldn't be quiet even though you aren't supposed to chat unless your in the quiet discussion rooms.
Many have no desire to intergrate and hang with their own national groups and refuse to learn english, in my tutes many won't shut up and can't speak english for crap, some can't even answer their own names. So yeah, i often wonder what's the point in comming to study here if your not gonna learn about the culture, language, mix with aussies, etc.

I haven't had any problems with people from other places, quite a few americans these days too at usyd.

44Ronin

HSC
Wooz said:
Yes, more and more asian fobs who aren't accustomed to our culture or respectfulness. .
You are a moron. Try western sydney and central coast, plenty of white trash. I'd throw away australia's drunken sports mad so called 'culture' in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
It's shit when you're partnered with an int student who can't speak englsih as they provide no input what so ever and in the past with me they have just not completed designated portions of a group project and offered no explanation.

Essentially when you are paired with one it means you have to do everything for yourself, which is what i tend to do anyway no days with group work.

hj1985

HSC
well, I remember that when I was doing the groupwork with local students, I did show my efforts, but because of my English, my part was usually be re-written and modified very much, to the extent that I couldn't even recognize it was my part.
:eek:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
44Ronin said:
You are a moron. Try western sydney and central coast, plenty of white trash. I'd throw away australia's drunken sports mad so called 'culture' in a heartbeat.
I live in Western Sydney, and I can tell you those people aren't that bad and theirs not many bogans out here, but alot of poor, desperate and needy.

Elgronko said:
It's shit when you're partnered with an int student who can't speak englsih as they provide no input what so ever and in the past with me they have just not completed designated portions of a group project and offered no explanation.

Essentially when you are paired with one it means you have to do everything for yourself, which is what i tend to do anyway no days with group work.
Yeh, im trying to organise my group tute(im at summer school) atm and i'm with 3 international students and their pretty unwilling and don't speak much english so it's gonna be hard. :(

veridis

droog
HSC
44Ronin said:
hooray for straw men!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Wooz said:
Yes, more and more asian fobs who aren't accustomed to our culture or respectfulness.
Alot of them just won't shut up in the library, i sat in special reserve in Usyd on wed and whole groups as asians wouldn't be quiet even though you aren't supposed to chat unless your in the quiet discussion rooms.
Many have no desire to intergrate and hang with their own national groups and refuse to learn english, in my tutes many won't shut up and can't speak english for crap, some can't even answer their own names. So yeah, i often wonder what's the point in comming to study here if your not gonna learn about the culture, language, mix with aussies, etc.

I haven't had any problems with people from other places, quite a few americans these days too at usyd.
Post reported for racial vilification.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Wooz said:

Great, another bogan racist from outback sydney.

Learn some tolerance, im sure if you went to their country to study you'd be as bad.

Evan11

HSC
velox said:
Great, another bogan racist from outback sydney.

Learn some tolerance, im sure if you went to their country to study you'd be as bad.
All countries (at least most) speak some english. Its not as though we have mandtory Mandarin classes. Its a different scenario, because most international students grow up with some exposure to english, and most australians have no exposure to thai, cantonese, mandarin, indonesian ,etc.

DeepDarkRose

HSC
yea seriously get over yourselves some of you, if you've ever tried learning a foreign language before you'd know that it's HARD. learning vocab and grammar isn't even one tenth of what it's like to try and actually speak to locals, and it doesn't help when the locals won't even give you the time of day and expect you to be perfect right from the beginning.

Even if they have a lot more exposure to English than we have to other languages here, it's about time English speakers got over themselves and realised that there's a whole other world out there with lots of other languages and cultures. These people have their own language that they know just as well as you know English, so if you haven't learned any other language, they're already ahead of you by miles. Yes I realise they've come to Australia to study so they should have a grasp of the language, but it takes time and if you were in their position you'd be no better at it.

People are different, and whilst some international students might be less willing to mix with locals out of shyness or fear or whatever else, how can you generalise so easily that every single one of them is exactly the same. I've met plenty and they've generally been really nice and willing to try really hard to fit in and it doesn't help when some local student won't even bother starting up a conversation as soon as they hear the words 'international student'.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
DeepDarkRose said:
yea seriously get over yourselves some of you, if you've ever tried learning a foreign language before you'd know that it's HARD. learning vocab and grammar isn't even one tenth of what it's like to try and actually speak to locals, and it doesn't help when the locals won't even give you the time of day and expect you to be perfect right from the beginning.

Even if they have a lot more exposure to English than we have to other languages here, it's about time English speakers got over themselves and realised that there's a whole other world out there with lots of other languages and cultures. These people have their own language that they know just as well as you know English, so if you haven't learned any other language, they're already ahead of you by miles. Yes I realise they've come to Australia to study so they should have a grasp of the language, but it takes time and if you were in their position you'd be no better at it.

People are different, and whilst some international students might be less willing to mix with locals out of shyness or fear or whatever else, how can you generalise so easily that every single one of them is exactly the same. I've met plenty and they've generally been really nice and willing to try really hard to fit in and it doesn't help when some local student won't even bother starting up a conversation as soon as they hear the words 'international student'.
People aren't generalising that EVERY SINGLE ONE of them is the same, but that the majority of international students from Asian countries will fit those criteria. The majority won't speak English very well, the majority won't speak in class, the majority will be difficult to work with in group assignments. Ultimately, being in a group with international student(s) will lead to greater difficulty in the assignment. This isn't a matter of stereotyping, but it's a matter of international students' (cunning)linguistic and cultural barriers.

No one is contesting that learning other languages is difficult, let alone communicating with locals speaking that language. We are also not saying that they should learn to speak English to our level of ability. However, interaction isn't difficult just for them, but also local students.

Furthermore, you do Arts, if I'm not mistaken. Your exposure to international students wouldn't be very high, esp. compared to Commerce degrees where the mix is about 50/50.

With that said, my marks are higher thanks to international students. Thx.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)