all you speculative fiction people out there ^^ (1 Viewer)

stillwaters

HSC
hey everyone
i noticed a dearth of speculative threads here - it's probably because you're all actually studying as opposed to me who is trying to avoid studying by writing this post....
but anyway, i jsut wanted to know how you guys addressed speculative fiction, whether you talk about it skewing towards science fiction or fantasy?
and also how you incorporate genre into it.
the way i do it is i talk about the speculative fiction genre and how it constantly adpats to different historical and social conterxts.... so its implied genre theory- but should we chuck in a sentence or two of-GEnre is... blah blah blah (i know theres another good thread on that but just wanted to know how everyone else did it in spec fic)
i dunno if thats what the markers want because there's not that many exemplar essays on spec fic around- are there any good resources out there?
and i call a text SF if its unarguably SFor same for fantasy but i also interchange that with speculative fiction... how do you guys refer to texts if their from different areas of spec fic.?
also, just post up how you're doing in extension and just general thoughtso n the module ^^
right now, i really like the module but i dont like the essays and crap. hm.
supposedly the board is scrapping spec fic next year and just having science fiction.
anyhoo
yay for HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
What, they're actually getting rid of sF as a unit?

Thank god, I've always thought Fantasy was a little too different convention-wise and perhaps even inappropriate for this course...

saltgunner

HSC
Hmmm, does the lack of replies indicate lack of people actually doing SF?
How goes Cyteen?

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Out of the 6000 people doing Ext.1 English....

3000 do Module A
  • 400 do Spec-Fic
  • 350 do Revenge Tragedy
  • 2250 do Crime Fiction
2850 do Module B

150 do Module C (No joke)

(Approximate figures)

Out of the 400 people doing Spec-Fic... I'm guessing not that many use this forum.

Anyway, we don't do Cyteen at my school, we do Dune, LOTR and The Handmaid's Tale.

Just finished a trial on it on Monday. You can never know how well you went lol, but here's hoping!

hjp.

HSC
we dont do cyteen either.
we do the other three - only my teacher is so lazy and we still haven't even finished watching LOTR. i mean seriously! i can't say i enjoy extension one at all - mostly because i am so unconfident about what i am doing/what i should be doing!
and like the guy who started this thread said - theres not many samples responses around and not even that many people who do this topic.
stillwater - i think i pretty much try to do like what you say you do.
but im still not really sure what the hell im doing.
help anyone?

Jezzakar

HSC
i do LOTR and Handmaid's Tale. how many related texts do you guys have? ive got three and i really like all mine. ive had a great teacher so i actually really like spec fiction. its sad if they're getting rid of it for plain sci fi. spec gives you so much more scope and practically everything scifi or fantasy based these days could be called spec anyway. this is coming from someone who, before i did this course, hated anything like this.

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
im a spec fiction child too :) Dune,LOTR, Handmaids.
I enjoyed the course, but im not really very clear or confident about any of it...
wonderful, considering the whole 24 hours until we sit that particular gem of a test...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)