alleles and genes (1 Viewer)

Rowena

having problems finding a solid description of the difference between alleles and genes, esp finding examples. so far i know that alleles are the characteristics where genes are the information, but thats it and im not even sure if thats correct. could sumone help?

Mendo

HSC
Well,
A gene is a sequence of neucleotides ona chromosome that code for a particular characteristic. An allele is the alternatives for that particular characteristic for example- Hair colour is the gene whereas brown, black, red, blonde are the alleles.

i dont' know if you were after something more indepth, but that (might have been a little different) got me full marks on my trial paper. Hope it helps. Chao.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
well , a gene is a section of a DNA in a chromosome that contains the information for making one polypeptide chain or part of a protien. eg gene for eye colour.
alleles are alternative forms of a gene situated on the same locus on a pair of homologous chromosome. alleles are alternative forms of a gene that contain different information for the SAME characteristic. eg gene for blue eyes and gene for brown eyes.

i hope that helps.
every gene has atleast two alleles.

peeasoup

So, a gene is a 3-base code sequence for a particular characteristic, and an allele are the alternatives for a particular characteristic. A person can have blue eye gene. The alleles are green, black, white, blah blah..........Is that correct ? ? ?

malkin86

HSC
no, I thought it was more like... you have an eye colour gene, the alleles are green, blue, brown etc. (Are there any more eye colours?)

another eg. is

You have a blood type, blood type is made up of Rh factor (+ or -) and Blood types (AB, A, B, O) giving, eg. O+
the proper alleles notation is I(A superscript) I (B superscript) and i (when ii, gives blood type O) .

If blood type confuses you, just stick with eye colour.

malkin86

HSC
Someone's discovered that eye colour is a polygenic trait...

Dr Rick Sturm (Uni of Qld) and Dr Tony Frukadis (DNApint Genomics) have demonstrated that the colour of eyes is polygenic and varies over the organism's life. new DNA markers called AIMs (Ancestry Informative Markers) have found this - in the future, they may be used to determine eye colour of suspects from DNA samples. (My summary of a Double Helix article)

http://genepi.qimr.edu.au/staff/nick_pdf/CV373.pdf is their paper if you need to know more.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Gene is a section of DNA coding for a specific trait. or one-gene one polypeptide

Alleles are different versions of the gene. what elizabethy said was correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)