Alternating Partial Harmonic Series (1 Viewer)

asharnadeem

HSC
Prove that 1-1/2+1/3-1/5+.....(-1)^n-1(1/n)>0 for all positive n integers by mathematical induction.

Qeru

HSC
Prove that 1-1/2+1/3-1/5+.....(-1)^n-1(1/n)>0 for all positive n integers by mathematical induction.
There really isn't a need for induction here. All you have to note is that and and so on until add all of these inequalities and you get your desired result.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
There really isn't a need for induction here. All you have to note is that and and so on until add all of these inequalities and you get your desired result.
Just wanted to drop by and say that it’s 1:49am and it’s illegal for your brain to think like this at this time of night

My job is done and I bid you farewell

idkkdi

HSC
group into pairs first two in one pair 3 and 4 in second pair. 1st number bigger than 2nd number every time.
for induction proof we assume two cases.
(-1)^n 1/n+1 where n is odd. positive pairs + positive number. trivial
where n is even.
sum of positive pairs. trivial.

Last edited:

Qeru

HSC
Just wanted to drop by and say that it’s 1:49am and it’s illegal for your brain to think like this at this time of night

My job is done and I bid you farewell
I'm a night person :)

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
he forgot the case where its an odd number of numbers and not all can be grouped into pairs :).
Tbh I haven’t even started on mathematical induction yet so I’m just randomly saying shit LMAO

Qeru

HSC
he forgot the case where its an odd number of numbers and not all can be grouped into pairs :).
I assumed it was obvious guess I should have explained more.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
group into pairs first two in one pair 3 and 4 in second pair. 1st number bigger than 2nd number every time.
Grandi’s series would like to: Know your location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)