am i getting underpaid ? (1 Viewer)

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, so after 2 years, im returning to a fast food store that i used to work at, but this time there is a new owner.

He said he will pay me 12/ph and im 18, just graduated from year 12.

i think i'm a casual...... and this is cash in hand.

but i hear my friends at mcdonalds getting paid 16/ph and their the same age so im assuming they would get 14ish after tax ?

am i getting underpaid ?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Kind of, i think minimum wage is a little over 12 dollars per hour. But cash in hand is a different story... You do realise the risks involved, right?

I also doubt your friends are getting that much at Maccas unless they have been working there awhile and moved up or something.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe minimum wage is $10.90/hr for someone 18yo but being cash on hand, it is illegal. I know someone starting at Gloria Jeans who earns $17/hr.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Nope, Mc Donalds for 18 y/o is $16/hr for your standard crew member. They don't get taxed unless they are earning over a certain amount of money in a year - so your friend most likely does not get taxed.

I think you get paid $12/hr as a 17 y/o part-time and $13/hr casual.

Dicksmith is $13/hr for 17 y/o.

What kind of work are you doing at the restaurant? Also - is this restaurant Asian?

XzeroX

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, coz you are an idiot and you are just a laughing stock clueless with your understanding of working rights in Australia. And yeah probably dont even go to USYD (more like dont have the ability to get in) so you probably deserve a shit pay anyway.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Hey, so after 2 years, im returning to a fast food store that i used to work at, but this time there is a new owner.

He said he will pay me 12/ph and im 18, just graduated from year 12.

i think i'm a casual...... and this is cash in hand.

but i hear my friends at mcdonalds getting paid 16/ph and their the same age so im assuming they would get 14ish after tax ?

am i getting underpaid ?
It varies greatly depending on which award you fall under and what your employer thinks you fall under.

My brother is 18, started working as a kitchen hand for a chinese restaurant. $11ph.

Looked it up and its right, National average is $10.70.

A FYI, minimum wage only applies to those over 21.

HSC
Nope, Mc Donalds for 18 y/o is $16/hr for your standard crew member. They don't get taxed unless they are earning over a certain amount of money in a year - so your friend most likely does not get taxed.

I think you get paid $12/hr as a 17 y/o part-time and $13/hr casual.

Dicksmith is $13/hr for 17 y/o.

What kind of work are you doing at the restaurant? Also - is this restaurant Asian?
lolol

cheepy5

HSC
Usually with cash in hand they would pay you a bit more that by the book, to make up for things you might miss out on with cash in hand eg. penalty rates, super

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
sounds dodgy

just get a proper job m8

if your employer is paying you cash in hand obviously there is nothing you can do that will make them pay you properly if they aren't already
they'll just fire you and because you were working illegally there's nothing you can do about it (i think i dunno i'm just making this up but i would never work for $12 an hour lol fuck that)

duh

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
This is super dodgy. There are lots of jobs out there that pay significantly more than that, so might be worth investigating. Also, cash in hand means you have no rights so try to avoid at all costs.

My first job at 18 paid $22 before tax, and I didn't need any qualifications for it, so there are definitely positions out there if you're willing to look for them.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
yep

i worked at coles in year 12 and got like 13 an hour (i was 17) and over time and extra pay for working after 8pm or 10pm i forget

and my boss would give me money for a taxi home after 10pm. i have a feeling a cash in hand boss would not do that

now i work in a gym. 0 qualifications and 22 an hour bam. get a better job m8 no adult should work for $12 an hour that's fucked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)