Amount of Detail?? (1 Viewer)

kerry

HSC
N/A
Hey there fellow bio-chemers,

I'm glad we all chose such a ripper of an option!!!

i officially have more biochem notes than all threes cores combined!!

the syllabus doesn't help me any with this, si i'll lay it on your shoulders!!

in how much detail are we to know respiration and its three stages? eg am i required to the seven steps of glycolysis and about diphosophoglyceraldehyde? or just that it ends up as pyruvic acid?

and the same again with the krebs cycle and isocitrate, or just what happens and approximately where?

peace

shortie_89

HSC
N/A
kerry said:
i officially have more biochem notes than all threes cores combined!!
:) lol me 2!! still glad i picked biochem though..
i don't think we need to go into heaps crazy detail.. just a basic understanding of what's going on.
my chem teacher said to pick one of the stages of the TCA cycle and know the enzyme that allows for that stage of the reaction, might come in handy.
i've gone through each of the steps for glycolysis in detail, not so much to learn for the exams but to help me actually understand and remember what's going on..
i don't think they could ask a question asking us to detail an exact step or to describe each step... (could they??... please..... no......... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!)
good luck with it
ps tell me everything you know about viscosity! i got nothing... need help :) pls

kerry

HSC
N/A
haha alright...

here goes...

viscosity in general terms, from somewhere in the darkest recesses of my mind, is the resistance a liquid has to pouring.

glycerol has a very large hydrogen bonding capacity. this is why glycerol is very soluble in water.

due to the relatively small molecule size and tight packing made possible by H bonding between glycerol molecules, it has a high viscosity (all goopy and sticky)

help you any?

now you...

lol tell me what NADH is and how it yields ATP...

no i joke i joke

you add anything you would like to review or just get out there because it is driving you insane bouncing around in your head

anyone else can play to!!

Last edited:

shortie_89

HSC
N/A
thanx for the viscosity stuff it did help...
lol i would also like to add that the very last dot point of biochem is possibly THE SINGLE MOST DUMBEST DOT POINT EVER!!! (haha yes i no im illiterate 2, thank u v much) it is totally unrelated and so stupid..... grrr stupid brainless BOS
i'd be worried if u had to ask me what NADH was... :)
can't really think of any other things to ask about but i'm sure i'll think of something on tuesday night at 11:00pm... lol...

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
I wouldnt imagine you;d have to know it in that much detail i.e. the 8 stops in the TCA cycle, etc. However, make sure you know the overall picture of what going on. And like shortie_89 said, if it helps you understand it better then go into detail. I do that sometimes.

tim_dawborn

u got to pick your option :eek: we got stuck with biochem -- bloody larger then all the core topics :mad: according to our teacher the more detail teh better with biochem

Last edited by a moderator:

kerry

HSC
N/A
hey at least you had a teacher!!!!!

I don't know what the HSC has been like thus far for all of you, but my exam papers have all been rather indirect and difficult to discern what on earth the question is asking.

I HOPE chemistry is NOT like that, otherwise... i resign!

but incase noone has anything they need help with, GOOD LUCK!!!! and i shall see you on the other side!

shortie_89

HSC
N/A
phoenix88 said:
u got to pick your option
we sure did... our chem teacher put in heaps of effort so we could all do wot we wanted.. we only have a class of about 11 so its manageable... there's 4 of us doing biochem, 2 doing industrial chem and the rest do forensics

we got to pick in physics as well

ah the benefits of small dodgy country public schools :)

how come u dont have a teacher kerry? do u do distance ed? or home school? or is the teacher just 'not there'?? lol

frezzel

HSC
Anyone else finding it annoying that most of the books/test papers don't have biochem? I have one book of test papers that has the questions, but the author couldn't be assed to do answers....

Oh and for further annoyance i rang the advice line yesterday. It went like this:

'hi, i have a question about biochemistry'

'oh ok....hang on a minute i'll put you onto someone...'

'hello? Oh thank god, i thought there wasn't going to be a biochem person'

'ahh sorry to dissappoint you but i actually teach forensics'

'ummm....what...?'

'i'll put you on callback...someone will call you soon'

1 day later and still nothing.....seems biochem teachers are a dying species.

Oh well, good luck fellow biochemers!

btw only level of detail u will need to know is

glucose - 2pyruvate - 2acetyl-CoA - krebs - oxydative phosphorylation

Of course know how much atp, nadh and fadh2 are produced..

Anything else is a bonus!

Frezz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)