Ancient History Vs Modern History ?? (1 Viewer)

luvtads

HSC
Im currently doing preprelim Ancient History and i dont find it very intersting ....
So im confused between Ancient or Modern

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad
modern is more interesting but harder, because it is so recent, so u need to know loads of accurate info. because it's harder it scales higher than ancient though.

for ancient u can make up crap and just say stuff like, 'an unknown source said' and 'it is argued that.... but we don't know for sure that..' and all that crap, because it was so long ago. ancient is generally a lot easier because of this, but it has a heck of content you'll have to get through- same goes for modern, but i think that ancient has more work.

i personally would go with modern- if ur into wars, dictatorships and political, social and economic crisis stuff then thats for you.

but if u like the aztecs, mummys, spartans, troy, minotaurs and all that ladida crap then you should go with ancient. mind you, ancient can get quite boring. i didn't really enjoy ancient as much as i did modern, yet i did heaps better in it. i dunno- whatever floats your boat, i guess.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
yeah i agree with last post. thats the general consensus i have reached with friends who do modern or ancient or both.

i am finding ancient quite easy. its basically just reciting information. apart from a decent memory or various things, it is really straightforward in regard to testing.

in modern you could be asked to view a source, analyse it, draw conclusions about its relevance to different things, speculate on the reasons for its impacts on the future, etc etc. in ancient its more or less 'tell me everything you know about how people built houses in Pompeii' or something, even if they try to dress it up with more sophistication.

they try and make it seem like its using higher order thinking, but ancient history is just the storing and regurgitating of information.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
I did Modern and Ancient in yr 11 then dropped ancient in yr 12. I think modern is harder which is why is scales well. Btw I checked my uai calculator and, according to it, Business studies scales better than ancient. Ancient doesn't teach you much about the world you live in. I think modern gives you a better education and encourages more analysis. Ancient is alot of work, but it is more, describing what how something happened as opposed to why. Ancient needs alot of memorisation as well.
I did both and I vote modern is way better. But if you are really into ancient and you have that motivation to study then you will do well. I had no passion for it and so I didn't try as hard as I could and didn't do as well as I could have. So your personal interest does matter. I found ancient annoying because the lack of a real answer. lots of missing info etc and learning about some historians' wacko interpretations that make no sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)