And you thought UWS wasn't good (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
is this like to raise activity on this sub-forum???

since we are moving to a globalised society, why can't we do a comparison? They did it with the tax system, why not universities?

ahem, there is always something wrong isnt it? fine..you know nothing is perfect...

bah...

santaslayer

HSC
LaraB said:
what is your problem?? Attack the person who posted the example then you moron!

Besides - the presence of furniture, toilets, staff offices and a student centre IS a comparison that can be made internationally... Go compare it with Jakarta? - yeah top idea. Let's stupidly exagerate to prove a point :rolleyes:

So what - we can't compare internationally? So you're telling me you don't think Harvard is a better uni than say... Aus Catholic Uni? or UTS? or Macquarie? or just about every institution in Australia or anywhere in the southern hemisphere? because "you can't compare internationally, only within Australia?"... What a load of nonsense

As i said - blah blah blah... As usual - you blame your rants on people being "defensive"- no one would need to say positive things about uws if you got over your need to come in here with the sole purpose of "proving" that you and your uni are better than anyone or anything involved with UWS.
lol not once did i mention my own uni. there is no point. stop putting words into my mouth.

why cant i compare it to jakarta then if international unis can be compared like u said? the thread maker compared it to some french one...whats the difference? did the thread maker not overly exaggerate an example? im only illustrating how overly stoopid it was...

im saying how stoopid the example was...that was obviously directed at the thread maker.
the defensive statement was obviously targeted at u...since ur picking on everyone who tries to make a point...usually dismissing what they say b4 reading it properly...u seem to automatically conclude that any non-uws student is trying to have a go at the uni...like wtf?

ahahahhaa...comparison of harvard or oxford or whatever CAN be compared internationally...but they only address academics primarily...WERENT U TALKING ABOUT FACILITIES..????????????

...oh wait....thats what u interpreted from the inital post of the thread maker...ie putting words into their mouth...

Super_Flyse

HSC
LaraB said:
blah blah blah blah

Whatever you reckon... its all just the same old boring, predictable, overly simplistic bs.

I stil find it hilarious that people think that there is a solid, prescriptive bell curve applied to every unit and school and college in the uni.. what a load of crap.

I wasn't 'accusing' you of being a non-uws student. It was a general comment about how these discussions always start getting into the "my uni's better than yours" crap and, coincidentally :rolleyes: are the ONLY discussions flooded by non-uws students... and comments like yours just support the bs.

You do realise that these conversations wouldn't happen quite as often if you didn't get so fired up about them.

So far the conversation as gone like this someone disagrees with the article being able to be compared with UWS, Lara disagrees, someone agees with person 1, Lara disagrees... Eventually deciding to put it down to a "Woe is UWS, why doesn't anyone love us? WHY?".

Yes, that is probably over simplistic, but it's the general jist of it.

Though, the entire arguement is based on generalisations...
And it's never going to get anywhere, because there will always be the over-zealous willing to fight for UWS even when no negative statement was made, which just makes it even more entertaining to start UWS bashing.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
brogan77 said:
UWS - Your career's over before its begun. ;)
For someone as gorgeous as you, that was pretty fucking stupid. :(

HSC
Go macquarie uni! :D:D:D

i love the atmosphere and its definitely better than UTS! and most definitely UWS (no offense people LOL)

I looked at UWS's International Business course and it TOTALLY looked crap..and who ever does it there should try transfer out...

MACQUARIE UNI .. i think it'll soon be as good as USYD and UNSW.. getting a train station and pool currently being in construction and soon getting our own private hospital on campus! ... so ... macquarie is fast becoming a major uni

Lucky to be in 'Club Mac'

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think it's funny that anything claiming UWS either is/isn't good can pull all these fuckwits out of the woodworks to post here.

If you're the UWS clique, going to be crushed by the idea that UWS isn't the best university, or if you're some jerk who hates the idea that lowly western sydney people could compare with his perfect educational institution - THIS IS THE THREAD FOR YOU.

santaslayer

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I think it's funny that anything claiming UWS either is/isn't good can pull all these fuckwits out of the woodworks to post here.

If you're the UWS clique, going to be crushed by the idea that UWS isn't the best university, or if you're some jerk who hates the idea that lowly western sydney people could compare with his perfect educational institution - THIS IS THE THREAD FOR YOU.
farrrkkk..

that's a lotta posts there...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I don't know about UNSW accepting only 30 people into law per year, but there's definately no argument, from what I've heard, that UNSW and USyd law grads have a better chance of employment than UWS grads.

The reason I chose UNSW over UWS, is that even though UWS Campbelltown is closer, the lack of facilities and experienced academic staff hurt it's standing in my opinion. UNSW may have bigger classes and theoretically less interaction with staff, but the fact that every single staff member I've seen (especially) has had a huge amount of experience in the field helps it's standing IMO.

That's not to say that UWS staff don't have experience, there's just less of them. Belittle UNSW or USyd all you want, they're bigger universities and as such it's guaranteed that they'll have more staff and a higher amount (not nessecarily percentage) of choices for someone like me in a science degree.

Of course, if UWS students didn't want people to bag out their universities, there's always the thought that they should avoid posting threads like this that make them look like jealous egomaniacs.

dude01

HSC
I love how people doing shit courses (i.e science and arts degrees) at the so called 'better unis' bag out UWS students and tell us we're disadvantaged in the job market. I hope they realise getting a job after their degrees in related fields is extremely hard! Good luck finding a job, you can always become a teacher!

Most people go to uni to get a job, who gives a fuck where you get the degree from.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
little-rat-boi said:
MACQUARIE UNI .. i think it'll soon be as good as USYD and UNSW.. getting a train station and pool currently being in construction and soon getting our own private hospital on campus! ... so ... macquarie is fast becoming a major uni
You'll find that the railway station is being built because Macquarie uni is on the edge of the Macquarie Park economic corridor, which extends to North Sydney. And the only way to get anywhere near Macquarie Park is by buses which never come and by car.

Atleast it will make it easier for me to get to Macquarie shopping centre :p

Going by your logic, Hawkesbury campus has a railway station and 2 swimming pools, does that make it Sydney's best uni / campus thingo. No.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
dude01 said:
I love how people doing shit courses (i.e science and arts degrees) at the so called 'better unis' bag out UWS students and tell us we're disadvantaged in the job market. I hope they realise getting a job after their degrees in related fields is extremely hard! Good luck finding a job, you can always become a teacher!

Most people go to uni to get a job, who gives a fuck where you get the degree from.
I want you to look carefully in my signiture, and then consider what it says next to the UNSW logo. If you can read, and I have my suspicions that you can not, you'll find that in fact I do wish to become a teacher. Good try though.

Besides, science degrees (and education also) are incredibly useful and secure. Should there be another depression, or a massive war, or anything of that nature I sincerely doubt that scientists/teachers will lose their jobs before say, a lawyer, a business consultant or a financial guru. Perhaps Science/Education doesn't have the brest reputation, but there's a guaranteed job once you're finished, and it's a great place to start.

natstar said:
Most of UWS's staff are UNSW + USYD grads....
I have no doubts that they are, in fact most are probably USyd grads, same with UNSW. But there's more academics working at the big universities, with more money coming in, with greater science reputations and hence greater industry links which all combine to give a better standing in the science community. I think that's one of the major disadvantages that UWS has in being multi-campus - it spreads out the academic and experienced staff which means less contact between them and you, it's not a good thing. Should UWS have been built on the one spot, I have no doubts that it's standing in regards to these areas would be vastly improved.

sarevok

HSC
major purpose in uws' creation was to redress educational divide between western sydney and the other suburbs. unfortunately hasn't worked because most of the better students from western sydney will go to unsw, usyd, because uws never had the rep or facilities to attract those students in the first place. with no intent to offend, uws thus *generally* only attended by mediocre students. this with its poorer academics and its poorer facilities have entrenched perception that it's inferior. and not only among students: hell, one of my law lecturers cracks jokes about uws' law school. that someone would post this article and compare it so as to justify uws (even in a light-hearted way) imo shows that this perception of inferiority is present even in its own students; the vehemence and sensitivity of some uws students on this forum when it comes to defending their uni is evidence enough of that too.

if i may digress into a broader opinion on uws, i'm not even sure the existence of the university is justified. given the trade shortage, do we really need uws pumping out science grads, lawyers etc. with generally less impressive academic credentials than their city-university counterparts? there is huge over-supply of many professionals as it is. i'm conscious of the need to redress the economic divide between western sydney and the rest of sydney, but a better means would be to improve spending on western sydney schools. many students also attend uws because they're less financially well-off and the university offers generous scholarships...why not make the other unis take economic background into consideration when offering scholarships?

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It's well worth the debate. I'd love for UWS to become Sydney's best university, and for it's age it has done extremely well. Unfortunately with its setup, and its perception amongst prospective students, it doesn't look likely that it will acheive its goal anytime soon. The very reason why it was set up has become the reason why it has not succeeded.

Drop20

I love the FF's and H.J.!
HSC
I study at UWS Penrith, i really enjoy my course, all the people are friendly and and i love the 100 other students living on res.

Generally in having a ball here here, and if you're enjoying what you're studying at your uni, whichever one that may be, then there's no need for debate. Happy people. YAY

melodic_gal

HSC
Generally in having a ball here here, and if you're enjoying what you're studying at your uni, whichever one that may be, then there's no need for debate. Happy people. YAY[/QUOTE]

Amen!

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
hey there, figured since some outside-uws'ers have done some obvious bagging out, id throw in my two cents..

sticking with the 'thought uws wasnt good' - or perhaps slightly off topic - i study at USYD, and it probably just comes down the personal preference or setting, outside variables etcetc [or yes, i could just be undeniably odd] but i feel more comfortable in a UWS campus then at sydney. mum works at the parra one, and i was so set to going to UWS that i completely ignored other opendays and related leadups. so much so i worked at the uws online registration thingy..

for ag - hawkes has a pretty damn good rep at shows and if i cant cope with syd, you'll definitely see me there.. haha..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)