Annoying Multiple Choice! (1 Viewer)

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
From the 2010 HSC Biology exam, Question 17.

What feature of prions distinguishes them from all other types of pathogens?
a) Prions are not cells.
b) Prions do not contain DNA
c) Prions do not contain nucleic acids
d) Prions cannot reproduce outside a host cell.

I chose B.

The 2010 HSC marking guidelines say the answer is C, whereas the Biology Success One HSC Past Paper book says the answer is B.

I assume the HSC marking guidelines are correct though, and that the answer is C.

Anybody know which is correct and if you could you explain?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It's C because viruses don't contain DNA, they contain RNA so then prions aren't distinguished from viruses using the option B.

The reason it is C is because every other pathogen has nucleic acids whereas prions do not, they are just whacked out proteins that do their shiz.

So, although B is true it isn't answering the question.

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
So, you're saying that B is correct when considering that neither viruses or prions contain DNA?

However, in relation to this question, they are the only pathogens that don't contain nucleic acids, meaning that C is correct?

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
This question is a 'tricky' question as you have to look at all the possible options. The most right answer would be (C), as even though we know that Prions don't contain DNA, they also don't contain nucleic acids. Now, it's asking which feature distinguishes them from ALL other types of pathogens. So, from what you should already know, (A) and (D) are out of the question. But, the problem is VIRUSES also don't contain DNA. So we can already tell that (B) cannot be an option, since prions and viruses both don't contain DNA, thus (C) is the only option.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
So, you're saying that B is correct when considering that neither viruses or prions contain DNA?

However, in relation to this question, they are the only pathogens that don't contain nucleic acids, meaning that C is correct?
no, you completely misunderstood what I wrote.

Neither of them contain DNA and hence prions cannot be distinguished from viruses, so B is incorrect because if you read the question properly (which I'm doubting) it is asking you what feature DISTINGUISHES PRIONS FROM OTHER PATHOGENS.

Yes. They are the ONLY pathogens (at least in the syllabus and that I know of) that don't contain nucleic acids, meaning of course, that C is correct.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
This question is a 'tricky' question as you have to look at all the possible options. The most right answer would be (C), as even though we know that Prions don't contain DNA, they also don't contain nucleic acids. Now, it's asking which feature distinguishes them from ALL other types of pathogens. So, from what you should already know, (A) and (D) are out of the question. But, the problem is VIRUSES also don't contain DNA. So we can already tell that (B) cannot be an option, since prions and viruses both don't contain DNA, thus (C) is the only option.
already gone through this, bud.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
From the 2010 HSC Biology exam, Question 17.

What feature of prions distinguishes them from all other types of pathogens?
a) Prions are not cells.
b) Prions do not contain DNA
c) Prions do not contain nucleic acids
d) Prions cannot reproduce outside a host cell.
looking at this again: this is just a comparison between prions and viruses.

A - neither of them are cells, so it's not this one
B - neither contain DNA, so wrong again
C - Viruses do contain nucleic acids and prions don't. So this is right
D - I'm pretty sure this statement is false, but also DNA can't reproduce outside a host cell. So wrong.

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
It's okay, I got dis.

On a more serious note, thanks for the explanations! Cleared up a lot of stuff. Also means I have to study what distinguishes pathogens in greater detail.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It's okay, I got dis.

On a more serious note, thanks for the explanations! Cleared up a lot of stuff. Also means I have to study what distinguishes pathogens in greater detail.
Just learn them all (rote learn)

If you have any questions I'm usually always around. :3

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I think I'll make a boss table.

There was also an 8 mark question on distinguishing pathogens in the CSSA trial this year! That screwed lots of people over, including me. I shall learn my lesson.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I'll make a boss table.

There was also an 8 mark question on distinguishing pathogens in the CSSA trial this year! That screwed lots of people over, including me. I shall learn my lesson.
yeah, I have one if you want me to take a pic (if I can find it).

Fuck, I wish that was in mine. I was only good at SFBH. :frown2:

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
That would be awesome if you could send it to me!
SFBH is like my worst

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I have no idea and have never done biology. I would guess C. It comes down to B & C as they are the two similar answers.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
That would be awesome if you could send it to me!
SFBH is like my worst
okay, so I just looked through my notes and I didn't make a table, I just made a little list, which probably isn't very helpful because most of the stuff I just remembered and isn't in the notes.

Also, looking through my notes I saw that I had empty sections.
Lol, every single one of them was tested in the 2011 exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)