another scaling question! (1 Viewer)

theycallmebob

HSC
so how does scaling and ranks work in classes with lower numbers?

for example my ex2 class has 5 students, and last term I did poorly in the viva (came last). I blame the fact that it was in term 4.

will the less amount of students and the our general good level of performance be likely to bring our marks up if I end up being say the middle of the group from internals? (due to my slip up)

or vice versa?

edit
moderation not scaling

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Do you mean moderation?

Scaling U's done by uac

If you meant moderation. First and last become two points of which everyone elses marks are adjusted according to relative gaps

powlmao

Banned
HSC
In other words.

If you have a small class good marks bring up the average lifting marks and a bad mark will pull the average down

theycallmebob

HSC
In other words.

If you have a small class good marks bring up the average lifting marks and a bad mark will pull the average down
Yeah moderation. So assuming we all do well, and I get like 2nd (only realistic goal for me at this stage) do I have potential to be lifted up to the 90s?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah moderation. So assuming we all do well, and I get like 2nd (only realistic goal for me at this stage) do I have potential to be lifted up to the 90s?
Possible, if you get the highest in the externals, your internal mark will be roughly what 2nd place got for their external but will be dragged down the further last place is from you.

D94

HSC
N/A
Theoretically, if you all get marks between 45 to 50, then you all are guaranteed an E4. Doesn't matter if you're last if your class' overall performance in your major work is great (ie. between 45-50) because the least you can get in that situation is a 45/50.

theycallmebob

HSC
Theoretically, if you all get marks between 45 to 50, then you all are guaranteed an E4. Doesn't matter if you're last if your class' overall performance in your major work is great (ie. between 45-50) because the least you can get in that situation is a 45/50.
What so if you get 50% internal and then 45 external you get e4?

D94

HSC
N/A
What so if you get 50% internal and then 45 external you get e4?
Not that easily. If the range of your school's external marks go from 45-50/50 then you are guaranteed a 45+. So in this case, yes even if you only have 50% internal raw, you will get at least 45+.

Hence this is why doing well as a cohort is paramount for HSC success.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In theory, you can get 10% internally and still get an E4 if everyone gets 44.5 or more (out of 50) in their externals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)