Answering section IV (1 Viewer)

Golani

Take this section IV question from the 2002 Independent trials:

"With reference to a global business you have studies, discuss the reasons for its international expansion and critically evaluate the strategies used by the business to manage changes in the global market."

O.k...how would i approach this question. I'd assume that:
1. I outline the reasons, then apply to the case study
2. I evaluate the er, marketing, operations and financial strategies

I have 2 questions:
1. To how much depth do i go when outlining the reasons for expansion.
2. How much do i spend on outlining the theory of the strategies before going in to the case study. Do i go straight to what Qantas does?
3. Do i have to say anything specific about that 'changes in the global market"???

can anyone please help, maybe someone who possibly did this question in class or last year or anything

ta in advance

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
"With reference to a global business you have studies, discuss the reasons for its international expansion and critically evaluate the strategies used by the business to manage changes in the global market."

1. To how much depth do i go when outlining the reasons for expansion.

not as much as the second part, notice the directive terms outline and critically evaluate which one do u think requires more thinking? i say the second part. so i wouldnt spend more time on the *outline* than the *critically evaluate*

2. How much do i spend on outlining the theory of the strategies before going in to the case study. Do i go straight to what Qantas does?
usually u spend more time outline the strtegies and tag lyk a particular case study at the end of it. If u are really clever, u would spend equal amount of time talking abt the actual strategi and the particular case studies and link it to the first part of the question. i have seen this biz report and it was lyk rulli integrated it, but yeah u need to know a few case studies pretty well to do that.

3. Do i have to say anything specific about that 'changes in the global market"???
specific changes are always good, dont generalise, and always relate it to current events, eg: 911 (good one to mention if ur biz is aviation or tourism) bali bombin (thatz a good one to mention if ur biz is lyk a hotel chain) or the sars attack( good one to mention if ur biz is lyk agricultural orientated)

Golani

first of all thanks heaps for this.

secondly, i asked the BOS folks aobut the case study, and they said that 1 is enough if it's really comprehensive and covers everything, which Qantas is.
Let me demonstrate, because i can write specific responses, with data and examples for all of the influences you have mentioned, and then some (e.g. globalisation, de regulation of markets etc).

:cool:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
coolies...best of luck...the thing is diff teacher says diff things, mine said at least 2, some say 1 is enough, some say more than 3.... i guess it realli depends on how comprehensive u can get with each case study. but just one note, i found that even though the qantas is v thorough, but there have been times when i oculdnt use the qantas case study to write a biz report, it really depends on the quest..

Golani

you mean a biz report in particular (i.e. section III), because the report section isn't about the case study you know...or, are you refering to an extended response in general, meaning secion IV, then please share which bits you found the Qantas info insufficient in?

Golani

btw bliss do you have any case studies you can spare mate?
perhaps just case studies relevant to global business nad maybe er?

would be greatly appreaciated and rewarded :D

adamossad@hotmail.com

Golani

as a rule, section III is in a report format, no case study. Section IV is an extended response w/ case study, mostly you can choose your format of writing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)