Answers - Multiple Choice (1 Viewer)

ruella

Originally posted by Joe C.
I agree with survivor, i think it's C.

It's not really about The overall area of 'M' and 'W', look at the diameter of the tubes. This should clearly show that M is xylem tissue, as one of the mechanisms which carries water up the tubes is capillary action - the thinner the tubes are the better this works. Phloem tubes do not need to be as thin, as movement is by active transport.

Also, 'W', is an area of great variation as to tube diameters, this shows the larger tubes, which can carry the food up or down the plant due to active transport, much smaller tubes in amongst these are indicative of companion cells, which are necessary for the 'source to sink' mechanism.
phloem tubes to not need to be as thin (or dead for that matter), because they do not rely on capillarity for movement, as w/xylem cells. and the only active transport involved in the movement in the phloem is actually loading the sugars into the phloem...the rest is all diffusion, which is passive

raj

is q11 the hamburger question thats D and the phloem and xylem Q is B

trinity

as much as i wish it was c, i actually think it's probably b cos according to this pic, M is the phloem and W the xylem
hope the link works...

mel85

Originally posted by Survivor39
M is Xylem, look at the large "half" cirle.

Sorry to tell you this, actaully it's 13/15. Coz you got Q 11 and 13 incorrect.
Ok, ok 13/15 then...sheesh!

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
q 13 is b. from the text book " xylem has thick cell walls. phloem has sieve plates" M is phloem- active. Wis xylem- passive.

ruella

Originally posted by Nickl_pickl
OMG, who gives a flying f***, it's worth ONE mark!
lol, you know, you've gotta very convincing argument....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)