anti wants a new computer - details inside (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I want but do not need a new computer, so this leaves things open for a bit of wishful thinking. Keep in mind though that I'm not a hardcore anything-er .. I like to surf the net, I like a bit of webdesign, I like to play games, but I don't really care about uber framerates or anything like that.

I don't want a complete package, so no Dell deals or anything like that please :)

Okay, what I'm looking for
* AMD processor (because I've never had one before)
* Motherboard which will last me a WHILE, ie. with functionality that won't become obsolete in the next few years (ideally)
* ~$200 video card, the other computer I'm using has a 9600xt and it seems to suit my gaming purposes fine, so something similar
* a DVD/CD-RW which isn't too noisy. It needs to be able to burn CDs, but it would be nice if it could READ dvds (does such a thing exist?) and not necessarily burn them. I think costwise it would be more worthwhile to get a DVDR though
* 80+gig SATA drive
* and about 1gig of RAM (whatever suits the motherboard)

Do you have any suggestions? From your experience what's the cheapest price I could get all that for? Would you change anything for more flexibility?

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
anti said:
Keep in mind though that I'm not a hardcore anything-er
You mean to say you're n-... wait, what are we talking about? :p

Motherboard

Go gigabyte. Awesome functionality, never had any problems. Pretty much industry leaders. What about this one?

Video Card

9600xt suits your other computer? Buy another one then! In all seriousness, they're around that price range!

CD/DVD

Go for a combo drive. They're the best. I'd suggest LG or Liteon as the manufacturers.

Hard Drive

I'd actually go for 120gb minimum, as there isn't much price difference and it's always better to have a little bit more than a little bit less.

RAM

1gb DDR would be great =) Any brand is ok really, try to get Corsair or Kingston.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
why not get a duel layer DVD burner instead of just a DVd reader . they are so cheap now

Pioneer Beige Dual layer DVD Writer $65

250GB 8MB Western Digital SATA Hard Disk Drive $159

(512MB Generic A Grade DDR400 Memory $55 ) x 2

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Yay I love replies :)

Sasha: Yeah, that's what I was thinking - if a burner is only a few $ more than a reader I would get one.. but since I already have a burner.. well I guess I could burn two dvds at once :p

What's better for SATA, WD or Seagate? Is one more expensive than the other?

Meddy: well I thought I'd get something different :p I'm thinking about a PCIE gfx card though since it seems to be New and Exciting (and Cheaper)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
from www.u-mart.com.au

Seagate Serial ATA NCQ 160GB 7200RPM 8mb Cache Instock $116.00
Western Digital 160G SATA 7200 rpm HDD Instock $110.00

i hear that seagate is quitter

u wanted a 80 gig HDD but the price difference is not to much

Seagate Serial ATA NCQ 80GB 7200RPM 8mb Cache Instock $77.00
Western Digital 80G SATA 7200 rpm HDD Instock $75.00

u should double the size to 160 gigs for only like 30 bucks

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
[Note: all the prices I posted are estimates. Shop around to see what you can get]

* AMD processor (because I've never had one before)

Go for an Athlon 64, probably the 3000 model. Excellent performance at a very good price level. You'll get one for around $200.

* Motherboard which will last me a WHILE, ie. with functionality that won't become obsolete in the next few years (ideally)

This motherboard should have everything you need from about $150-$180 or so.

* ~$200 video card, the other computer I'm using has a 9600xt and it seems to suit my gaming purposes fine, so something similar

Go for an nVidia GeForce 6600. It's the current best-value card in the market in terms of performance per dollar, and it'll futureproof your graphics system. You can pick one of these up from $175-245. If you can stretch to it, get the GT model (it's usually around $240 dollars, but it's definitely worth the extra).

* a DVD/CD-RW which isn't too noisy. It needs to be able to burn CDs, but it would be nice if it could READ dvds (does such a thing exist?) and not necessarily burn them. I think costwise it would be more worthwhile to get a DVDR though

LG's do everything GSA DVD burner retails for less than $90 at the moment. It'll burn everything, including CD/DVD/DVD dual layer. I highly recommend it.

* 80+gig SATA drive

Go with 120 GB. Not that much of a price jump, for 40 extra gigs. The motherboard I posted above supports supports SATA, so they'll be no problem. This'll cost around $120-150

* and about 1gig of RAM (whatever suits the motherboard)

RAM's as cheap as chips. :)

As a general rule, if you have two options, go for the cheaper one. Reliability is excellent these days so you shouldn't be too concerned about paying more for a better product. Good luck!

I_F

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Seagate are quieter because they use lubricated or liquid bearings or somesuch, but apart from that they're virtually identical afaik.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Thanks guys!

I currently have 1gig of corsair ram in my other comp which runs like a dream *hugs* so I feel paying for the brand is worth it - plus when this comp is outdated I'll probably be throwing it in an older machine (for the sister.. heh) so I'd want it to be relatively long-lifed.

What does dual-channel RAM do/mean and how's it different to ..other.. RAM?

I was thinking about a 6600GT but I've heard that a) it's AGP only and b) its drivers dont work so well with some games (compared to the ati ones). True/false?

Oh I have one more wishlist question - any suggestions for a sexy lookin' black case? Primary objectives are quiet and good looking, weight isn't an issue since I have a lighter case for lanning (if I even GO to LANs) and preferably cheapish since the other one pushed $200 :p

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
anti said:
What does dual-channel RAM do/mean and how's it different to ..other.. RAM?

I was thinking about a 6600GT but I've heard that a) it's AGP only and b) its drivers dont work so well with some games (compared to the ati ones). True/false?
Dual channel RAM means that the computer accesses two modules at the same time, hence doubling the bandwidth. This requires two modules of RAM with the same size. The chipset does have some limitation with using 4 modules of high density RAM at full speed but it should not concern you.

6600GT was actually the first nVidia product designed for PCIe. The AGP version contains a conversion chip. Its drivers should work just as fine as ATI, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC

The 6600 is actually native to PCIe, but you can get AGP versions. Plus, nVidia/ATi cards work better on different games. nVidia owns ATi in Doom 3, for example, because Doom 3 is optimised for the nVidia hardware. In other games (Splinter Cell, from memory), ATi performs better than nVidia, again because of the differing architectures. Either way, the 6600 GT will give you excellent, future proof performance. :)

I_F

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
lol, wouldn't everybody want a Lian-Li >.<

can't afford that. i guess i'll grab the next one that comes along.

i play WoW the most :p and only rarely FPS's

P

pLuvia

try going to fluid tech in pennant hills, which may be a bit TOO FAR for you :p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Oh getting it isn't a problem - it's more about getting a good deal for good quality :)

nitro.vo

HSC
dual channel ram only gives about a 5% increase aswell.

not sure on a modern m/b and cpu but get AMD and prob gigabyte.

a 6600GT - great value. should be around $250
120gb min should be $100 or so
512mb ram should do the job, generic aswell. about $60
pioneer 110D - $75
antec case with psu ~$150

funniboi

HSC
there's a umart in enfield.

next time your down at cabra pb lemme know i'll show you where it is, cause it's sorta hidden! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)