Any BOSers get an atar above 95 without coming first in all their subjects? (1 Viewer)

MzRobinHood97

HSC
And I mean, in a school that isn't in like the top 200

What I mean to say is, I know generally how the ATAR works and all, but talking by experience, was it very difficult to get it(like having to get 1st internally with like all tasks ranging in like the 80-90% and externally 85-90)?

Any stories for clarification?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I got an ATAR above 95 without coming first in all my subjects, came second in Maths Extension One. And I went to a school that isn't in the top 200. Sometimes the mark difference(Internal) between the ranks is also important as well, and one thing to keep in mind is you can't necessarily rely on your internal marks as an indication of your external performance because some schools have more lenient marking criteria than the actual HSC marking.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

What I mean to say is, I know generally how the ATAR works and all, but talking by experience, was it very difficult to get it(like having to get 1st internally with like all tasks ranging in like the 80-90% and externally 85-90)?

yes

I came like 2nd in Maths Ext. 1 and English Advanced, English Ext. 1 and English Ext. 2

in like a school ranked i dunno... 600

probably 900 nowadays because my year was best year

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
i went to a school ranked 280

had pretty bad ranks

97+

torylearn

HSC
N/A
yes

I came like 2nd in Maths Ext. 1 and English Advanced, English Ext. 1 and English Ext. 2

in like a school ranked i dunno... 600

probably 900 nowadays because my year was best year
Did you rape externals or what lol

milkytea99

HSC
What if you go to a school not in the top 200, you're ranked first but your raw mark is only 80% lol? Does this still reflect badly on you?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What if you go to a school not in the top 200, you're ranked first but your raw mark is only 80% lol? Does this still reflect badly on you?
Raw mark for your internal assessments or HSC?

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC

My school rank: 600+

I was ranked 2nd in Advanced English

Got 90/90 exam and internal

So I was all g

ATAR: 98.65

So yes it is possible

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Internal assessments. The mark in your half yearly
Well, consider if your school decided to put ridiculously difficult questions in the exam so you all got 12%

This is why external marks are important

milkytea99

HSC
Well, consider if your school decided to put ridiculously difficult questions in the exam so you all got 12%

This is why external marks are important
Alright. So let's say you're ranked first but the exam in school was very hard and you only got 10%. The mark doesn't really matter as long as you're ranked first right? As compared to if you got 95% but you're ranked 30th?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Alright. So let's say you're ranked first but the exam in school was very hard and you only got 10%. The mark doesn't really matter as long as you're ranked first right? As compared to if you got 95% but you're ranked 30th?
Exactly, that's why we say your rank is important than mark because your school might just give away free marks while another might decide to give them PhD level questions no one can get

kabytto

HSC
Yes. I know one in your exact same situation who got 95ish and went to a 300+ rank comprehensive school. And there are many more.
But all of them confirms that it isn't exactly a walk in the park- many were dux or did very very good.

But keep trying your best my friend and good things WILL come your way :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)