any guesses for possible essay questions for english adv? (1 Viewer)

shashysha

HSC
I think (hope) we'll get a general question for common mod and mod B, while Mod A will be text specific. Basically the reverse of last year, but knowing NESA I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with the same types of questions for 2 years in a row.

Fabrizio

HSC
I think (hope) we'll get a general question for common mod and mod B, while Mod A will be text specific. Basically the reverse of last year, but knowing NESA I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with the same types of questions for 2 years in a row.
Wouldnt go on that. If you look at past papers they pretty much do what they want.

Xanthi

HSC
There won't be 2 general questions.

I am predicting either everything is specific or like last year module A is general, since it is the least grounded in specific themes.

Edit: I am leaning towards everything being specific on second thoughts, since this is the second year of new syllabus.

Last edited:

beetree1

HSC
There won't be 2 general questions.

I am predicting either everything is specific or like last year module A is general, since it is the least grounded in specific themes.

Edit: I am leaning towards everything being specific on second thoughts, since this is the second year of new syllabus.
its only new syllabus for common module but they gave out really hard questions for it last year on common module too so theres literally no way of telling

Xanthi

HSC
its only new syllabus for common module but they gave out really hard questions for it last year on common module too so theres literally no way of telling
I think it's also the general trend towards more specific questions that's happening. That's the spirit of the new syllabus - even if Mod. A and B are close, the intention by nesa I believe is to make the questions harder and therefore require new material to be written on the spot.

Although last year's common module questions were difficult, they can become even more challenging, such as by specifying a character or so on. So it's important to be prepared.

Fabrizio

HSC
I think it's also the general trend towards more specific questions that's happening. That's the spirit of the new syllabus - even if Mod. A and B are close, the intention by nesa I believe is to make the questions harder and therefore require new material to be written on the spot.

Although last year's common module questions were difficult, they can become even more challenging, such as by specifying a character or so on. So it's important to be prepared.
I dont think they can be that specific. For example they can do winston for common and richard mod A but they couldnt do (or atleast likely wont due to backlash) Obrian or Richmond. Same with some themes especially in mod b

erucibon

HSC
N/A
I dont think they can be that specific. For example they can do winston for common and richard mod A but they couldnt do (or atleast likely wont due to backlash) Obrian or Richmond. Same with some themes especially in mod b
I think for common and mod a it is unlikely, but mod b is pretty likely it will be specific if you look at last year hsc and trials. You could probably get away with pre planned and adapt for everything except mod b.

Xanthi

HSC
I think for common and mod a it is unlikely, but mod b is pretty likely it will be specific if you look at last year hsc and trials
Mod B they can test anything for sure. You're expected to know the texts in a lot of depth as it's a critical study.

Common Module slightly less so, but a question that specifies O'Brien is totally possible as long as it isn't the only character. So a question might ask you to make reference to O'Brien and two other characters of your choosing, for example.

Mod A is the least likely as it's much less thematically driven. Asking to write about a specific pair of characters and how they have been renewed is still possible however.

I don't think there would be much backlash to these questions (at least there wasn't last year in paper 1 common mod). Many school teachers actually liked it more than before.

erucibon

HSC
N/A
Mod B they can test anything for sure. You're expected to know the texts in a lot of depth as it's a critical study.

Common Module slightly less so, but a question that specifies O'Brien is totally possible as long as it isn't the only character. So a question might ask you to make reference to O'Brien and two other characters of your choosing, for example.

Mod A is the least likely as it's much less thematically driven. Asking to write about a specific pair of characters and how they have been renewed is still possible however.

I don't think there would be much backlash to these questions (at least there wasn't last year in paper 1 common mod). Many school teachers actually liked it more than before.
You're right, I did see a practice paper on the role of O'Brien so it is definitely worth practicing for sure

Fabrizio

HSC
I think for common and mod a it is unlikely, but mod b is pretty likely it will be specific if you look at last year hsc and trials. You could probably get away with pre planned and adapt for everything except mod b.
Yeah i agree it will be specifc for example form and alienation in hollow. But i dont think it will be something like time.
I think we will get an 'easy' mod b but i think mod a will be a specific theme and quote and then mod c will be harder like represent a moment of tension in one of your precribed texts from a different perspectove

Fabrizio

HSC

I didnt think either of last years papers were that hard (atleast for the ones im studying elliot, richard and 1984)

Xanthi

HSC
Yeah i agree it will be specifc for example form and alienation in hollow. But i dont think it will be something like time.
I think we will get an 'easy' mod b but i think mod a will be a specific theme and quote and then mod c will be harder like represent a moment of tension in one of your precribed texts from a different perspectove
I didnt think either of last years papers were that hard (atleast for the ones im studying elliot, richard and 1984)
The main idea is to be mentally prepared to face such a hard question. They wouldn't all be hard, but I think theres a good chance theyll all be text specific- there will be some range between the question that you gave as an example of an "easy" q and a question that specifies an obscure theme or a less important character - perhaps one of each type and one in between sounds possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)