any tips for 2006 phys students? (1 Viewer)

Lexie1001

HSC
hey everyone...im just starting the hsc course for physics and i think all the 2006 physics class would really appreciate it if u could tell us what u've learnt from your mistakes this year and any advice on how to get the best mark!
thanks heaps! :)

Ghost1788

HSC
Read through the text book and understand the concepts, and do past papers

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Be specific when answering any question. You want to be sure you get the mark(s).

webby234

HSC
N/A
The syllabus is extremely important.
Go through the syllabus and write a paragraph on each dot point after doing each section in class.

klaw

HSC
Lexie1001 said:
hey everyone...im just starting the hsc course for physics and i think all the 2006 physics class would really appreciate it if u could tell us what u've learnt from your mistakes this year and any advice on how to get the best mark!
thanks heaps! :)
I've made a mistake already. If you're making a motor for your assessment and it doesn't work, put 40V through it when demonstrating it and say that it did work before but you burnt it out. That's what some ppl did and they got higher marks than me (mine didn't work but I didn't use cheap tactics like that)

LostAuzzie

HSC
Do not disregard a dot point hoping it will not be tested, because as soon as you do that it will end up being a six or seven marker.

lfc_reds2003

boiiz and girls

listen up

dont try and tell me phys is hard cos its basic

so just bludge around and ull be fine

no point writing answers to dot points or doing past papers cos its a awaste of time and is not necessary

hehe

phys is the best

just do iur dot points
n ur papers

n have fun

:D

Chief2666

El Zorro
HSC
This might not be the right place but I cant help but notice that you have to joke about maths aural, we had a massive thing in our class between me and a few friends, omg the stuff we put together was absolutely classic, I forgot about it until I saw your sig, omg it was so funny M4:Excellciar, M3:Math Extreme, M2: Math Adventure, pi-day.....oh well tips for physics, listen in class, ask your teacher lots of questions to make sure you really understand the concepts, that is the most important thing.

PiGMAN

HSC
look at ur textbook the day before the exam, and be blessed with an obscenely easy hsc paper :D :D :D :D :D

webby234

HSC
N/A
PiGMAN said:
look at ur textbook the day before the exam, and be blessed with an obscenely easy hsc paper :D :D :D :D :D
Referring to this year's paper? The MC was hard but the rest was just half maths half social sciences - not much study required.

Cover all the dot points - you may not do all of them in class. Remember that even the most obscure dot points can be tested - this year we had to assess the reliability of secondary information in regards to induction. Knowledge of the history is important - especially if your doing Quanta to Quarks - who did what experiment etc.

PiGMAN

HSC
yes i was referring to this years paper.

A serious tip though: don't do quanta to quarks, I've been told its the hardest option, why make it any harder for yourself? 25 marks are 25 marks. Even though our school made us do quanta, had I cared about physics, I wouldve taken 2 days to learn another option.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Ghost1788 said:
Read through the text book and understand the concepts, and do past papers
You mean read the textbook and study it, because if someone took that literally, that is stare at the textbook all day and go into the exam knowing nothing more than not looking at the textbook at all, they would be totally screwed. :D

lfc_reds2003

PiGMAN said:
yes i was referring to this years paper.

A serious tip though: don't do quanta to quarks, I've been told its the hardest option, why make it any harder for yourself? 25 marks are 25 marks. Even though our school made us do quanta, had I cared about physics, I wouldve taken 2 days to learn another option.

hmm.. are u joking, quanta is soo easy and predicatable

clonestar

Physicist/*******
HSC
N/A
As a teacher this is my recommendation.

Listen to to your teacher's conceptual ideas about the hard concepts. I always use analogies to explain ideas. Again this would be based on your teachers experience and qualifications.

Make notes for each topic which address quotes on syllabus.

Do as many of the calculation questions as possible and be familiar with your calculator.

Study regularly with a timetable.

Good luck
:cool:

PiGMAN

HSC
mm predicatable is a word. well if u wanna nit pick, i don't think you will find any option will be particularly hard, hence why i said hardest.

vizman

HSC
hey!! wats wrong with studying directly from the textbook? works for me quite effectively

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Get a copy of the Physics syllabus, and write out answers for each dot point. The exam will be based directly on the dot points, and if you know them all, you'll be well set. :)

I_F

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
here's more of my 2 cents...

is it important not only to understand the concepts, but to put them into a clear, logical explanation when answering the question. it is advisable to prolly construct "model" answers for certain questions (e.g. how does the galvanometer operate). yes, its becoming more englishy, and its tending towards more practical and applied science with long responses and moving away from mathematical concepts and theoretical stuff. so, i strongly suggest writing up model answers to answer the syllabus, making sure NOT to miss out any KEY TERMS. adopt a kind of scaffolding in ur analysis. make ur answer COMPLETE, like a logical argument as u would in a formal debate.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
My advice:

Forget memorising the dotpoints, that's lame and boring. Get a hold of as many past papers, trials (especially the catholic school ones) and textbooks as you can and do all the trickiest/hardest problems in them. And keep doing them.

There's no need to write out and memorise some big long answer for every dotpoint; you just need to know what scientist did what and why, etc. Which basically requires you to read the textbook maybe twice (in class and before the exams) and come up with the answer in the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)