Any tips on making MX2 Notes? (1 Viewer)

Heresy

HSC
I tried to make notes on MX2 last night but found it pretty difficult.
I was just wondering if anyone had any tips and/or tricks when it came to making good quality MX2 Notes.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Time would probably be better spent practising questions.

Maybe note down formulae in a separate book.

JaxsenW

HSC
I've found really the only thing that notes are helpful for is remembering stuff from conics. The best part of 4U is there really is no application of a formula, as most of the questions are problem solving/process based. Just do a heap of practice papers and see how you go

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

concordhs

HSC
I've found really the only thing that notes are helpful for is remembering stuff from conics. The best part of 4U is there really is no application of a formula, as most of the questions are problem solving/process based. Just do a heap of practice papers and see how you go

this^

Heresy

HSC
Time would probably be better spent practising questions.

Maybe note down formulae in a separate book.
Thank you! Just out of curiosity - what textbook would you use? Would you recommend sorting through papers and doing questions from those?

Heresy

HSC

At what stage did you start doing MX2 papers?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I didn't rly find learning the content useful, it was only until doing past papers that 4u became decent in difficulty rather than really hard. I mainly started doing them a month before HSC, almost 1 per day.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Thank you! Just out of curiosity - what textbook would you use? Would you recommend sorting through papers and doing questions from those?
I'm not naturally great at maths and I found Fitzpatrick/New Senior Maths was the perfect level of simple explanations but questions that challenged me (not too much that I'd just give up straightaway).
But if you're really good then I reckon Terry Lee is good.

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Although not necessary, I found that the act of making notes helps with the revision process, including understanding of content (and there is quite a lot of it, even though it's not nearly as much as other subjects). In my experience understanding the content well helped a lot with harder questions.

There are subtleties in the MX2 course that people might sometimes overlook or forget so keeping those in notes can be handy, although you usually won't need to know them.

And although most questions require a unique application of skills, some processes like square rooting complex numbers or roots of unity follow the same formula almost every time so it can help to note them down.

For textbooks, imo:

SGS Notes >>> Patel > Terry Lee > Cambridge

(never really got to use Fitzpatrick but I would put it somewhere around Terry Lee or Cambridge)

Last edited:

JaxsenW

HSC
Yeah, I have Cambridge and Terry Lee, and have looked a Fitzpatrick. Personally I think Fitzpatrick is great to begin, followed by Cambridge, and then, when you are confident, you can move on to Terry Lee.
Despite that, I haven't really used any textbooks since before trials really.
About a month before trials (When we finished content), I started doing practice trial papers, and after Trials, just moved on to past HSC instead.
I did one a week until these holidays, and have done a fair few over the holidays.
Now in these last few days, I just have the more recent papers to go, and then see what happens.

Heresy

HSC
Although not necessary, I found that the act of making notes helps with the revision process, including understanding of content (and there is quite a lot of it, even though it's not nearly as much as other subjects). In my experience understanding the content well helped a lot with harder questions.

There are subtleties in the MX2 course that people might sometimes overlook or forget so keeping those in notes can be handy, although you usually won't need to know them.

And although most questions require a unique application of skills, some processes like square rooting complex numbers or roots of unity follow the same formula almost every time so it can help to note them down.

For textbooks, imo:

SGS Notes >>> Patel > Terry Lee > Cambridge

(never really got to use Fitzpatrick but I would put it somewhere around Terry Lee or Cambridge)
What are SGS notes? - I've never heard about them...

Heresy

HSC
Yeah, I have Cambridge and Terry Lee, and have looked a Fitzpatrick. Personally I think Fitzpatrick is great to begin, followed by Cambridge, and then, when you are confident, you can move on to Terry Lee.
Despite that, I haven't really used any textbooks since before trials really.
About a month before trials (When we finished content), I started doing practice trial papers, and after Trials, just moved on to past HSC instead.
I did one a week until these holidays, and have done a fair few over the holidays.
Now in these last few days, I just have the more recent papers to go, and then see what happens.
Thank you.

Heresy

HSC
I didn't rly find learning the content useful, it was only until doing past papers that 4u became decent in difficulty rather than really hard. I mainly started doing them a month before HSC, almost 1 per day.
So what were you doing on a weekly basis to study for MX2?

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
What are SGS notes? - I've never heard about them...
SGS = Sydney Grammar School.

Basically, imagine the Cambridge Enhanced textbook, but for 4 unit.

Excellent explanations of theory, worked examples and for the most part a good range of difficult questions (including the extension questions that the Cambridge Enhanced textbook has).

It's pretty much all you'll need for the course, but you can also supplement it with another textbook like Patel for harder questions.

Heresy

HSC
SGS = Sydney Grammar School.

Basically, imagine the Cambridge Enhanced textbook, but for 4 unit.

Excellent explanations of theory, worked examples and for the most part a good range of difficult questions (including the extension questions that the Cambridge Enhanced textbook has).

It's pretty much all you'll need for the course, but you can also supplement it with another textbook like Patel for harder questions.
Do you perhaps have a PDF? Or can you direct me to where I can purchase one?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So what were you doing on a weekly basis to study for MX2?
Nothing just whatever terry lee qns we had to do for HW... didnt rly help and I was struggling rly hard in 4u till I did papers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)