any1 found the einstein question confusing (1 Viewer)

ying123123

i noe the answer for the first 2 was time dialation

atomic clock or mouns

but the last questoin cant rember but it was confusing about advance in technologies bla bla ....

flying_dragon

HSC
Yeh it was something like list advances in tech since 1905...

I talked about: development of precision timekeeping devices such as atomic clocks and development of fast transport like jets and space travel to make the velocity faster. This 'makes the temporal discrepancy more obvious and easily measurable'.

richz

yes, i talked about relativity of simultaneity, but the final q stumped me becuz its kinda stupid, the pt is we dont even have equipment that can acc trains near the speed of light.

ying123123

yeah i put develop of jets traling hig speed and atomic clocks
but i dont think its right like it seems a bit too easy to get 3 marks

rithvikt

*Abeh-OI-*
HSC
i think i stuffed that whole question up, i didnt even get what they were actually asking about...i talked about light being constant..as one of the predictions thing..* i think that is TOTALLY wrong*

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Yes... That question's Part three was absolutely ridiculous. (I'm starting to think I know the syllabus better than the people setting the papers)

My answers for that question:

(a) Einstein predicted time dilation

(b) This was experimentally shown when 2 synchronised atomic clocks were... etc.

(c) In 1905 when Einstein proposed the theory of relativity, technology to verify the predictions he made did not exist, and the theory relied on his thought experiments. Since then, the development of extremely accurate atomic clocks, and high speed et aircraft has allowed for the predictions to be tested, and time dilation has been experimentally verified. THis was not possible in 1905.

richz

yes, exactly, his exp are still thought exp, so there is not proof yet, its another BOS stuff up

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
hmm for that i did:
(a) time dilation
(b) light clocks
(c) atomic clocks

as the last is a result of technological advancements .. meh

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
lol damn i started talking about accelerating particles to the speed of light.. haha xD

there goes one day of physics ._.

cyko

HSC
i talked about the energy and mass equivalence

and the development of particle accelerators and the collision of matter and anti-matter which converts into energy

Bizarre

Kicking Uni's bum.
HSC
^^^^^ Same here.

Particle accelerators allow us to accelerate particles to the point where their De Broglie wavelength allows us to use them as detectors for subatomic particles such as the Muon, whose detection on Earth is proof of time dilation.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
xrtzx said:
yes, i talked about relativity of simultaneity, but the final q stumped me becuz its kinda stupid, the pt is we dont even have equipment that can acc trains near the speed of light.
hey, its cause they were looking for ACTUAL proof that has happened... not "thought experiments"..

as ppl have mentioned before:
atomic clocks - one being sent away on jets and one staying on earth
muons - takes then 16 ms to reach the ground but their lifetime is only 2.2ms
particles becoming more massive as they are accelerated in particle accelerators etc.

richz

haboozin said:
hey, its cause they were looking for ACTUAL proof that has happened... not "thought experiments"..

as ppl have mentioned before:
atomic clocks - one being sent away on jets and one staying on earth
muons - takes then 16 ms to reach the ground but their lifetime is only 2.2ms
particles becoming more massive as they are accelerated in particle accelerators etc.
yes tru, but have they actually proved time dilation in atomic clocks on jets? becuz they need to travel them at speeds near the speed of light so that still can not be performed yet. Yes, there is evidence on muons, but how do they know they actually have a small halflife and if they travel at speeds near the speed of light?

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
xrtzx said:
yes tru, but have they actually proved time dilation in atomic clocks on jets? becuz they need to travel them at speeds near the speed of light so that still can not be performed yet. Yes, there is evidence on muons, but how do they know they actually have a small halflife and if they travel at speeds near the speed of light?

time dilation doesnt only occure at the speed of light it occures travelling at even like 1ms-1 its just the change is so small you will never notice it.

very fast jets travelling does actually create a time dillation and it has been proven. Its not like its 100 seconds slower, it will be like 0.01 ms slower?

well u cant use these formula's in accelerating frames of reference (accelerating frames are coverred in the general theory of relativity that we dont learn). So by just knowing these 3 formula's doesnt mean that there isn't enough proof about these events.

and about the muons. they have been made in labritories etc and their rest time at that instance was 2.2ms and now if u use the formula's (again im not sure if its these crap ones) and u apply them to how long they've travelled at the speed of 0.996 u will get the NEW half life which they possessed by travelling to the earth and that has been proven.

When particles accelerated to near light speed they have been become quite massive. that agrees to both E= mc^2 and mass dilation.
also the mass defect in nuclear fission is also evidence of the duality of mass and energy laws.

Captain Karl

HSC
haboozin said:
When particles accelerated to near light speed they have been become quite massive. that agrees to both E= mc^2 and mass dilation.
also the mass defect in nuclear fission is also evidence of the duality of mass and energy laws.
Its mass dilation (or mass decrease). When they travel at high speeds their mass is supposed to decrease

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Captain Karl said:
Its mass dilation (or mass decrease). When they travel at high speeds their mass is supposed to decrease
wow, u ok?

ok, lets pretend im wrong.

the formula for it is

M(accelerating) = M(rest)/sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)

now pretend V is 0.996c (almost the speed of light

M(accelerating) = M(rest)/sqrt(1 - 0.996^2)

now let M(rest) = 1kg

M(accelerating) = 1/sqrt(1 - 0.996^2)

M(accelerating) = 11.19 kg

thats 11 times heavier

proof by contradiction?

powerhouse

HSC
The mass actually increases. Think if it like this, the mass increases exponentially as c is approached and thus more energy is needed to accelerate the object as it gets heavier. However, seeing at is an exponential there is not enough possible energy to accelerate the object to c and thus c can never be reached.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Dilation is to get bigger. Mass dilation = mass increases. Time dilation = time gets 'bigger' (takes longer, ie runs slower).

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Dumsum said:
Dilation is to get bigger. Mass dilation = mass increases. Time dilation = time gets 'bigger' (takes longer, ie runs slower).
i always used to get confused with time..

cause its so weird to explain it, because it means that "more time has past" as in time runs faster from the outside observer than the inside observer.

whenever i got confused i thought of this. ppl who did space travel aged slower... so less time has past for them so time was goign slower for them and faster for us.

Captain Karl

HSC
Sorry, you're right. I remember we called it mass increase, not decrease.
Guess I just wasnt thinking right last time. Glad I didnt make the same mistake in the test.

Thanks for setting me straight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)