Anybody here from UMelb? (1 Viewer)

lawstu

HSC
Was here too.
I noted in your signature "LLB/BSc; Melbourne MD 2012-2015". Geez, that's a lot of study or you must be an old bugger! Gotta ask you this but what do you want to do with your education, training, and skills when you've completed and later on?

Robertsmith009

HSC
It is the best place to study a bachelor of art. My brother done a bachelor degree from this university.

newtouniversity

HSC
does anyone have any insights about the different residential colleges? Which ones would be good to look at for international students taking biomedicne? Colleges with the friendliest people?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Heya there,

I don't attend UMELB myself (chose USYD offer/college), but I was offered Biomedicine and had a place at St Hilda's college so I did lots of research into the course you want to do and the colleges you'd be looking at, and I know how the UMELB college system works.

I have friends spread across the colleges(St Hilda's, Trinity, University, Queen's, Ormond etc.) and many in biomedicine if you have any Qs about particular ones. What I'd normally suggest of visiting them all and looking around and deciding which college had the best vibe for you in person is unviable as an international student :( If you wanted a college with lots of international students, look on the stats, often the websites give a breakdown of the student make up. (Some of the colleges had up to 20% international iirc).

Ormond is a very large college (largest in Southern hemisphere iirc), UC and St Hilda's(and consequently good scholarships on offer) were great as they had a large rural population/interstate population. Some college are quite religious (like Whitley and Newman).

Think about what size of college you would like, some like Janet Clarke only have about 60 people, where Ormond has 500 odd! Ormond, Trinity and Queen's are the biggest three colleges. Some of the colleges are more old and castle style, while some are more modern in architecture.

yoyo987

HSC
Do you happen to know what they ask at the college interviews? I am preparing for one right now.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you happen to know what they ask at the college interviews? I am preparing for one right now.
Which college?

Typically they ask about what you think you'd get out of living at college, if you have any Qs about college, what you'd get involved in at college, what are you going to study at uni, what are your long term plans, ask about your ECs, ask about your attributes living with others/overcoming conflict, ask about attitudes to alcohol etc.

Some UMELB colleges also have kinda a group interview before your individual, where you get a tour of the college and hang out with current residents. But most just have an individual interview.

And as yours is international, it'd jsut be an individual by Skype right>

newtouniversity

HSC
^Heya there,

I don't attend UMELB myself (chose USYD offer/college), but I was offered Biomedicine and had a place at St Hilda's college so I did lots of research into the course you want to do and the colleges you'd be looking at, and I know how the UMELB college system works.

I have friends spread across the colleges(St Hilda's, Trinity, University, Queen's, Ormond etc.) and many in biomedicine if you have any Qs about particular ones. What I'd normally suggest of visiting them all and looking around and deciding which college had the best vibe for you in person is unviable as an international student :( If you wanted a college with lots of international students, look on the stats, often the websites give a breakdown of the student make up. (Some of the colleges had up to 20% international iirc).

Hey Love hate school, thanks for the reply. Wow you must be really smart to have gotten into Sydney's med program. Yeah I know theres so much to look at when choosing a college. I looked over the college websites and the different forums and I think my first choice might be University College. If im more into sports, (specifically soccer and tennis although i wouldnt say im really good)rather than arts, do you think this would be a good choice? Also any information you could give about the type of people at UC would be helpful as im generally a shy person. Like do you know if its very cliquey or if everyone is generally friendly. Also would you know if there are a lot of biomed students and international who go there?

The other colleges I might consider also are Queens, Ormund,International house and maybe newman. Any information you could give me relating to my questions above for these others colleges would really be appreciated. Do you know if any of these colleges have certain reputations or stereotypes tied to them? Oh and do you know if making a college your first preference rather than your second or third has a big impact on your chances of getting in? And will i end up doing an interview at every college i apply to? Im sorry for bombarding you with so many questions but thank you so much for helping me out with this.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Love hate school, thanks for the reply. Wow you must be really smart to have gotten into Sydney's med program. Yeah I know theres so much to look at when choosing a college. I looked over the college websites and the different forums and I think my first choice might be University College. If im more into sports, (specifically soccer and tennis although i wouldnt say im really good)rather than arts, do you think this would be a good choice? Also any information you could give about the type of people at UC would be helpful as im generally a shy person. Like do you know if its very cliquey or if everyone is generally friendly. Also would you know if there are a lot of biomed students and international who go there?

The other colleges I might consider also are Queens, Ormund,International house and maybe newman. Any information you could give me relating to my questions above for these others colleges would really be appreciated. Do you know if any of these colleges have certain reputations or stereotypes tied to them? Oh and do you know if making a college your first preference rather than your second or third has a big impact on your chances of getting in? And will i end up doing an interview at every college i apply to? Im sorry for bombarding you with so many questions but thank you so much for helping me out with this.
Lololol sorry if I was unclear, I'm definitely not in Syd Med, I just decided to do a BSc(Adv) USYD to have a more broad footing in science than biomed at UMELB :p I'm nowhere near that smart lol.

University College is quite friendly, a nice aspect of it is that many people have moved there so they don't know other people so they are no cliches (it doesn't have many native Melbournians). I'm not sure which colleges have the rep for the 'sporting colleges' I'd say the biggest three colleges (ORmond,Queen's and Trinity) would have advantage purely cause of numbers, but there's an intercollegiate sports system where the colleges compete against each other, and sport is a big part of college life. Not sure how many Biomed students are at that one in particular, given there's only 6 undergrad at UMELB there's bound to be some people in the same course as you. It wouldn't affect getting tutes, because as I recall, you can attend a tute at another college if there's not enough for a sub on yours (check on that, I remember something like that).

I have friends at Queen's that love it (both sporty incidentally) Ormond (I've stayed there) is like a massive Hogwarts castle, about 500 people there. I think their stats were like 20% International? Check on their website. My friend is super involved in things at it.

International House I presume would have a high international population (presumably) but domestics do live at as well.

From what I've heard of Newman, it can be quite religious (which may be a good or bad thing for you). I mean some of the other colleges have religious affs but it doesn't affect them at all, but I've head Newman has strict and formal rules due to its religious affiliation (Roman Catholic). Not sure if they'd consider your religion on app, I'd be interested if they'd ask about.

How the system works in Melbourne is that you are considered by your first pref, and then if you are unsuccessful, you are put into the intercollegiate pool for your other preferences. I got first pref, so I don't know how the system works past first, but I'm not sure if they re-interview but I got the impression they'd just look at your app for the first and consider it. Given some of the colleges are very popular, putting them second would really strike you out as they could be very fussy over their first prefs even and use all their spots.

Last edited:

yoyo987

HSC
Which college?

Typically they ask about what you think you'd get out of living at college, if you have any Qs about college, what you'd get involved in at college, what are you going to study at uni, what are your long term plans, ask about your ECs, ask about your attributes living with others/overcoming conflict, ask about attitudes to alcohol etc.

Some UMELB colleges also have kinda a group interview before your individual, where you get a tour of the college and hang out with current residents. But most just have an individual interview.

And as yours is international, it'd jsut be an individual by Skype right>
Thank you so much, that really helped. No I am doing my interview at the college. I just have one question. How important is your ATAR in determining your place at the college?

newtouniversity

HSC
Lololol sorry if I was unclear, I'm definitely not in Syd Med, I just decided to do a BSc(Adv) USYD to have a more broad footing in science than biomed at UMELB :p I'm nowhere near that smart lol.

University College is quite friendly, a nice aspect of it is that many people have moved there so they don't know other people so they are no cliches (it doesn't have many native Melbournians). I'm not sure which colleges have the rep for the 'sporting colleges' I'd say the biggest three colleges (ORmond,Queen's and Trinity) would have advantage purely cause of numbers, but there's an intercollegiate sports system where the colleges compete against each other, and sport is a big part of college life. Not sure how many Biomed students are at that one in particular, given there's only 6 undergrad at UMELB there's bound to be some people in the same course as you. It wouldn't affect getting tutes, because as I recall, you can attend a tute at another college if there's not enough for a sub on yours (check on that, I remember something like that).

I have friends at Queen's that love it (both sporty incidentally) Ormond (I've stayed there) is like a massive Hogwarts castle, about 500 people there. I think their stats were like 20% International? Check on their website. My friend is super involved in things at it.

International House I presume would have a high international population (presumably) but domestics do live at as well.

From what I've heard of Newman, it can be quite religious (which may be a good or bad thing for you). I mean some of the other colleges have religious affs but it doesn't affect them at all, but I've head Newman has strict and formal rules due to its religious affiliation (Roman Catholic). Not sure if they'd consider your religion on app, I'd be interested if they'd ask about.

How the system works in Melbourne is that you are considered by your first pref, and then if you are unsuccessful, you are put into the intercollegiate pool for your other preferences. I got first pref, so I don't know how the system works past first, but I'm not sure if they re-interview but I got the impression they'd just look at your app for the first and consider it. Given some of the colleges are very popular, putting them second would really strike you out as they could be very fussy over their first prefs even and use all their spots.
Oh haha ok. Yeah you have to be crazy smart to get in there. Thank you so much for the inputs. I think UC might be the college for me. Could you maybe though tell me a little more about Queens college and Ormund like about the people and stuff. I know Ormund is the most expensive of the colleges (at least for this year), does that mean that a lot of the rich and private school students go here? And would you say that you have to be really good at sports or arts to get into queens or Ormund? Oh and i was just curious, did you do a year or something at uni melb cause you said you stayed at ormund?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you so much, that really helped. No I am doing my interview at the college. I just have one question. How important is your ATAR in determining your place at the college?
ATAR can help as it's indicative of academics, but other attributes are really valued at college.

Oh haha ok. Yeah you have to be crazy smart to get in there. Thank you so much for the inputs. I think UC might be the college for me. Could you maybe though tell me a little more about Queens college and Ormund like about the people and stuff. I know Ormund is the most expensive of the colleges (at least for this year), does that mean that a lot of the rich and private school students go here? And would you say that you have to be really good at sports or arts to get into queens or Ormund? Oh and i was just curious, did you do a year or something at uni melb cause you said you stayed at ormund?
I know I spoke more about Ormond and Queens in PM-but not necessarily, people from my old comprehensive public high school go to both. Though Ormond had a few more privates than the others iirc. UMELB colleges have way better student mixture on the whole than USYD generally.

And I didn't go to UMELB, I've just stayed at a few of the colleges because I was part of UMELB Youth Scholars, and they kinda brainwashed us all things UMELB lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)