Application Guide for med/dent to Oz (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
This is a PDF guide for yr 12 leavers applying interstate across Oz

its from previous personal experience..

honestly atm its all i can think of.. should be good for around august....

*random rant*
its dedicated to all the stupid questions.. my coca-cola addiction.. countless episodes of scrubs.. lexi.. and all thoses aspiring n00bies :p go get them

feel free to b*tch.. about it cos i cant guarantee how accurate it is..

+Po1ntdext3r+ (aka alvin :p)

//edit: added newcastle application and working hyperlinks.

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Interesting. :)
I like the table showing the unis at a glance.
Melbourne no interview eh....

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Alvin UNCLE has an application form too, remember that flimsy pink thing? Also, most med schools include Year 12 Mathematics as one of the four sciences they expect (at least two of the four usually required). Last year Newcastle required (from memory) 92.50 or higher.

And stop telling them to get insurance, since it will not ensure success. :p

Sorry Alvin, couldn't resist. You've done something I haven't got around to in months. Thanks VERY much, you are t3h w1nn4r!

Stuck.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
meh.. :p the UNCLE form came only once u got an interview right?
oh shooot ure right :S

92.5 :| ?! where did u get that cut-off from? R u sure?

lolz i kno but more applications more of the 1000 med/dent places ure in the running for :)
oooo i got stickied

// edit: if corrections exceed 6 ill correct and repost.. otherwise too lazy:p

Last edited:

NichNich

HSC
What the? Tasmania needs a separate form? If I applied through VTAC for melbourne, monash and tas, do I still need a separate form? Or is that just for ppl who apply straight to tas?

Many thanks for the guide :p I really helps, just found it now, I thought it was great!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It's just for the people who apply directly to the university.

To anyone else reading this thread, I highly recommend direct application. Why? Well, if you do apply for UTas through VTAC then you can only receive one offer from UTas, Monash or Melbourne (whichever is highest) whereas if you apply seperately you can get an offer from both UTas and the Victorian school of choice. I know the UTas system isn't very pretty, it's time consuming and rather annoying to navigate, but it's free and it gives you one more potential offer.

Last edited:

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
help plzz

hi, im in yr 12 and im Intrested in doing medicine in 2005. i would just like to ask any of you several question: 1) what is UMAT
2) dont u need like a really high uai (e.g. 99.5) to do med? or can you do med with a UAI of 90-95?
3) how long is the interview and what sort of questions do they ask?
4) do i have to do anything prior to the HSC inorder to get in med (i.e umat?, interview etc) ?

thanx for ur time
answears will be most appreciated

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
1)UMAT - undergraduates medical admission test consists of 3 parts..with logic, comm skills and pattern recognition
2) no more.. its now recognised that social and other cognitive skills(edit:he is right see next post.. sorri.. lolz i was thinking about hearts :S) are also needed and that yr 12 results are not a super accurate indicator of performance as doctors
3) interviews are on average 45 mins to 1 hr... i hav known some to last 15 mins.. and they made med
4)UMAT and/or interview for most unis..

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I think Alvin means "cognitive" rather than "congestive"...

Reading through the guide attached to the first post would have answered most of your questions. :)

Keen

MD
HSC
So it seems you've missed the cut-off, if you don't know what UMAT is and you want to do it next year.

Hmmnnnn maybe you didn't do enough research into med earlier (do you really want to do med or is it a side-thought).

Keen

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
smart

moreover.... could u explain the format of UMAT deeply i.e wat questions and how i could prepare myself for it

inasero

Reborn
HSC
section 1- logic puzzles
section 2- interpersonal skills and communication
section 3- visual-spatial cognition

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
... well, since u mentioned UMAT... =)

hi guys,
I'm looking into UMAT prep courses - ne suggestions? which is best? - ha ha dont u just love open-ended, impossible-to-answer questions!! I guess I'd b looking to attend in Syd or Newcastle... what do u reckon? (maybe i'll c u there, dawma88! ;p)

cheers,
m111

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, first, how about some info about yourself? What year are you in? What kinda stuff are you good/bad at? This applies to both of you. :)

[edited for clarity]---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest this is REALLY elementary stuff, and personally I expect people serious about applying to Medicine to be prepared to find the basic information themselves. That said, I'm not going to hold back on helping you. Just know that by relying on others to tell you what's going on (rather than finding out yourselves) you're already at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Ouch Lexi! And I'v always been such a fan of ur work... =(
Just because I'm looking for the input of others that may have more knowledge than I do doesn't mean I haven't been spent all of yr 11 looking this stuff up! I just come from a place where the only med students I know went thru pre-UMAT, so I'm just looking for ne tips I can pick up!! Having now defended myself... =)

I know all the elementary stuff. I know most of the secondary stuff as well, but I was just looking for ne imput on the AMEPP vs Dr Dallas vs etc.. prep course debate. If ne body cares to make a comment on this then thank u.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha don't take my reprimand to heart...I just don't want anyone to rely on the forum, because there's so much more to know than people can generally be bothered telling you.

As for the prep course comparison, the best advice I can give (I'm sure inasero, keen and +Po1ntDeXt3r+ would agree) is to visit the AusMedStudent site and AusMedStudent forum. The administrator LUG has gone through every major prep course and wrote a detailed comparison on all of them. I'm sure she'd be happy to share her experiences with you, and everyone's happy when new members register on the forum.

Oh yeah, Dallas is (in my opinion) a fraud. Not only is he not a doctor (of ANYTHING), but he's actually defending a civil case in which he is accused (with very strong evidence) of reselling MedEntry material as his own. Naughty boy, Mister Gibson.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Really?! Well that does explain A LOT of the forum composition on AusMedStudent! I've been on A.M.S. many times, but I was just after ne thing u guys may hav to say. I'm seriously considered the AMEPP course... it gets pretty good feedback. Any comments? I don't rely on this forum but I find it really... confidence boosting, I guess, that I can hav contact wiv ppl who'v done it all before... thanks for the reply

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm glad we're able to help you guys in that regard. Remember though that while inasero, keen and +Po1ntDeXt3r+ are all Med students I'm still in the same boat as you guys. My present knowledge is limited to the application procedures, all I know about the courses themselves I learn from the three above and other friends (as well as reading the material, obviously).

Anyway, there are plenty of helpful people around...if we're not all busy with exams that is. :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer so are sique and skywalker too :)
there i just screwed them over muahahaha
all med 1 and hopefully med 2 next yr :D

umm take a look at medentry too.. ive heard bout them . but im not sure if they are good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)