AR is the death of me. HELP :') (1 Viewer)

rubbishbear

HSC
Anyone else struggling to compute AR? Just look at these 2 ar questions, how do you even take the exam seriously with these diagrams. But with all seriousness, some ar questions are just so complicated, how do you even figure out the patterns aaaahhhhhh

Attachments

gamja

HSC
hi rubbishbear
im sorry for replying super late (but better very late than never) - i agree ar is super hard - very hit or miss

ill give you hints for the patterns
1. counting total _ is different between sets
2. set a + set b -

open spoilers if you want full solutions - just gonna let you solve them yourself!

pattern 1: total number of lines on set a cats is 10. e.g. in middle right square, two dots + 2 ears + the mouth with two lines + tail + 3 legs = 2+2+2+1+3 = 10 lines total. Similarly, set b has the same but with a sum of 11 lines.

this one was a lot easier - set a has number of spikes correspond to number of total sides on shape (sides added together). whether the spike is on the head or body is irrelevant. For set B, the difference in the number of sides of the big shapes is the number of spikes (e.g. for middle right set B, 7 heptagon - 0 = 7 so seven spikes)

generally, my approach to AR is to
1. find the two simplest squares but with a eye-catching difference to find a pattern. This is effective as every square must have the same pattern so the simpler the square, the easier the pattern is to find and contrast with another simple yet different square.

2. find a list/table of pattern types online - some include total number of shapes, rotations, shadings representing values, etc etc

3. although these two are not the hardest ar patterns ive seen because harder conditional ones (ones that have different values depending on what they have inside) (ps b was a pretty simple conditional) and assigning stuff like shades numerical values (black is worth 3, grey worth 2, white worth 1 or smth) are even more aids - so my last lesson is learn to skip immediately to get other easier sets.

If all is lost, quickly find a partial pattern, and guesstimate your way through harder pattern sets as quickly as possible.

(in fact this is so late that you've probs very likely alr solved it - just hope it helps others on BoS i guess)

Last edited:

nsw..wollongong

HSC
hi rubbishbear
im sorry for replying super late (but better very late than never) - i agree ar is super hard - very hit or miss

ill give you hints for the patterns
1. counting total _ is different between sets
2. set a + set b -

open spoilers if you want full solutions - just gonna let you solve them yourself!

pattern 1: total number of lines on set a cats is 10. e.g. in middle right square, two dots + 2 ears + the mouth with two lines + tail + 3 legs = 2+2+2+1+3 = 10 lines total. Similarly, set b has the same but with a sum of 11 lines.

this one was a lot easier - set a has number of spikes correspond to number of total sides on shape (sides added together). whether the spike is on the head or body is irrelevant. For set B, the difference in the number of sides of the big shapes is the number of spikes (e.g. for middle right set B, 7 heptagon - 0 = 7 so seven spikes)

generally, my approach to AR is to
1. find the two simplest squares but with a eye-catching difference to find a pattern. This is effective as every square must have the same pattern so the simpler the square, the easier the pattern is to find and contrast with another simple yet different square.

2. find a list/table of pattern types online - some include total number of shapes, rotations, shadings representing values, etc etc

3. although these two are not the hardest ar patterns ive seen because harder conditional ones (ones that have different values depending on what they have inside) (ps b was a pretty simple conditional) and assigning stuff like shades numerical values (black is worth 3, grey worth 2, white worth 1 or smth) are even more aids - so my last lesson is learn to skip immediately to get other easier sets.

If all is lost, quickly find a partial pattern, and guesstimate your way through harder pattern sets as quickly as possible.

(in fact this is so late that you've probs very likely alr solved it - just hope it helps others on BoS i guess)
at this rate ion even think u need to postpone ur exam, u seem so equipped already 😭

gamja

HSC
at this rate ion even think u need to postpone ur exam, u seem so equipped already 😭
nah bro those qs took me ages to solve - i'd be screwed in the what 45 seconds(?) you have to find the patterns in exam conditions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)