Are checkouts that bad? (1 Viewer)

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
Im gunna apply for a job at coles as I heard they need people on checkouts.

Are they really that bad? What are the pros and cons?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
it's not the checkouts that are bad
its those fucking customers
:)

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
I like the idea of using the touch screen.
I done registers twice for a trial when i was 15 and I was too nervous and blew it lol. The registers were the old ones.. I remember it not being too bad. Ofcourse everytime i did something wrong I had no clue what to do.

Now Ive been working in nightfill for 2 and a half years and im ready to try something new. I can deal with customers...

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm in liquor, which is a bit less demanding than supermarkets.

Cons
-very sore legs
-when it gets busy u can get nervous (well i do anyway)
-evil customers (i.e. ones who think they are rite all the time)

Pros
-good pay
-company (if ur lucky)
-some customers are really nice
-handling money can be a bit of a power trip

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
aww that would be a mad job, lol
if i worked in a bottle-o it would have to be one that is relatively safe - where i could work without fear of getting held up lol

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
natstar said:
im at woolworths
me 2!!!!

BreaKing, ur right, i'm in constant fear of being held up....espescially with ciggies

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
i've never worked as a checkout chick, but it seems so easy. go for it !

pros
- have to be pleasant all the time
- can get quite busy sometimes, so you have to do things fast
- annoying customers eg. "can you put this in a seperate bag", "actually, i don't want to buy this anymore" etc etc
- might get tired from standing for so long
- pretty boring

cons
- quite an easy job
- not likely to stuff up and get yelled at
- get a discount at the store

ok, there are more pros than cons, but i'd like to work as a checkout chick. where are they hiring? actually, i cbb working anymore. the holidays will be over soon, and i cbb working just 1 shift a wk

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
table for 1 said:
i've never worked as a checkout chick, but it seems so easy. go for it !

pros
- have to be pleasant all the time
- can get quite busy sometimes, so you have to do things fast
- annoying customers eg. "can you put this in a seperate bag", "actually, i don't want to buy this anymore" etc etc
- might get tired from standing for so long
- pretty boring

cons
- quite an easy job
- not likely to stuff up and get yelled at
- get a discount at the store

ok, there are more pros than cons, but i'd like to work as a checkout chick. where are they hiring? actually, i cbb working anymore. the holidays will be over soon, and i cbb working just 1 shift a wk
Seems you have your pros and cons the wrong way around hon:)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
townie said:
me 2!!!!

BreaKing, ur right, i'm in constant fear of being held up....espescially with ciggies
but u should be right - if u work in the woolies liquor place - i would only be cautious if i worked at some random bottle-o that wasn't in a shopping centre or whatever

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Seems you have your pros and cons the wrong way around hon:)
whoops...silly me...well, i cbb changing it. live with it ! =D

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
the one thing i hate about checkouts is the repetitiveness, do u know the two phrases that are stuck in my mind forever are:

"would you like a bag?"

AND, the quintesential question

"is that savings, credit or cheque?"

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
townie said:
the one thing i hate about checkouts is the repetitiveness, do u know the two phrases that are stuck in my mind forever are:

"would you like a bag?"

AND, the quintesential question

"is that savings, credit or cheque?"
omg yes i feel your pain brother!
also with our shitty registers if the customers want cash out u have to put it in before u press eftpos...... which sux..... so as well as asking cheque savings or credit u also gotta ask if they want cash out...... n sometimes they change their mind.... n the computers are slow so it takes forever to fix it up
also i hate, HATE when customers feel the need to comment on the weather

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
i found checkouts, after i learned how to do everything and got used to it, to be incredibly, excruciatingly, mind-twistingly boring as fuck. and i never really had a bad customer, everyone was pretty friendly in general, it's just the nature of the job, ie being trapped in one exact place for 4-8 hours, doing one task over and over again, after a while the extreme boredom gets too much and it's not even worth the money.

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
Hey thanks guys... i think im gunna apply for it, i have Car rego due and im up sh*t creek so yeah anything will do :)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i have dealt with tight ass customers whinging about every little bit of the process.

ShAdow_FaX

HSC
i have been at coles for bout 2 months now and it is the most BORING, SHITTEST, GAYEST job i have ever had the displeasure of having. the pay is not good...12 something an hour for doing that reptitive shit work is not enough cos u may not realise it but check-outs is pretty hard work and the pay should be more! when it gets busy (which is like all the time at my joint) u feel like killing urself...i don't really get to talk to anyone when i work (and the majority of ppl are old women, indians or asians) and time goes by so slow. good for a temporary job till u fond something better, but i reckon u'll hate it at first until ur body gets used to it.

p.s. oh and having to do constant price checks is so annoying! especially when its so busy and theres a queue like 50 feet long and u have to wait ages and then the customers give u attitude like its ur own fault or sumthing. now i just chuck in shit for free.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
checkouts are fun :) id rather do checkouts then run around the store after things customers want that are out the back on pallets which are freakin so high up off the ground its not funny :)... i dunno, sometimes you can have really good days on checkouts where the customers seem to be nice and easy to talk to, your drawer balances at the end of the shift etc etc.. but then there are the crappy days, where nothing goes right.. there are endless customer complaints about price checks and they blame you for not knowing about any price changes in any department of the store...

from personal experience i feel like i gain more by being on registers than i do if i work all day fixing the store and running after customers, but thats just me... there will always be alot of bad days on checkouts but at the end of the day, knowing that at least one customer has left happy then thats enough for me :)

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
i work at big w and i would rather be in cosmetics (which is usually quiet and nice) instead of the busy busy regular registers. ive been there for 18 months and I AM SLOWLY DYING cus im on a fucking trianeship i cant resign for another year or so FUCK FUCK FUCK

they wont even rotate me stoopid managers who act all nice but hate you..ARGHHHHH only 325 hours left to do and i cant leave .ill be freeeeeee

how many hours do you have left muse? MUSEEEEEEEEEEE????????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)