Are most uni courses 3 or 4 years? (1 Viewer)

Rawf

HSC
I'm just wondering, are most uni courses 3 or 4 years?
I know commerce @UNSW is only 3 years, and I assumed that all uni courses are 3 years as well.. that is until someone told me that most are 4 years o__o
Is there a number of years for each particular course?
EG: Commerce at all unis are 3 years? - is it also 3 at usyd?
Are sciences always 4 years or something?

Sorry for all the questions haha i'm pretty clueless with these things.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
It varies depending on what you want to study. Typically engineering combined with something e.g. commerce or science can be up to 5 or 6 years full time depending on the university. Commerce is usually 3 years full time.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
It depends on the course you are undertaking (eg. double degree) & which university. Most degrees are 3 years and you can add honours on top (adds to the years you'll be spending at uni) should you wish. Science at Sydney U is 3 years and I believe most B Commerce courses are also 3 years unless you are planning a Masters.

However, it is good to know that some people may not complete their degree in the "supposed" duration period because of illness etc. or failing a core unit of study which is a prerequisite for another unit of study (and hence are technically 'frozen'). So I would stress that you try your hardest to pass all units ~ don't want your academic transcript to look bad.

Rawf

HSC
Ahh thanks guys.
I'd also like to know what's the difference between a 'Masters' and an 'Honours' and what exactly do you do in them? Do they offer them for commerce at UNSW, and how are they beneficial?

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh thanks guys.
I'd also like to know what's the difference between a 'Masters' and an 'Honours' and what exactly do you do in them? Do they offer them for commerce at UNSW, and how are they beneficial?
Honours -> done on top of a bachelor degree during your undergraduate study. Research and additional harder courses are undertaken.

Masters -> done after undergraduate study. You have heaps of choices of what you want to do, this may include going into a specialization, research or simply coursework.

At UNSW for commerce, a master degree is mostly just an extension of what you have done in the B commerce degree program, unless if you choose to do research. Not quite sure about this one but you might like to look at the UNSW postgrad handbook for more details.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Masters is a post-graduate degree that is separate.

Honours is an extra year you have to qualify for at the end of your undergraduate degree.

You can do them by coursework or research.

And yes. More qualifications, so... benefit is clear.

Rawf

HSC
So there's no limit on the spots of Masters available? I don't know much about uni.. but i know you get some sort of result at the end (WAM? idk) and if you get high enough, you will be able to do a masters?
And is it... you have to be in the top 15% of the cohort to be 'invited' to do an honours? o____o

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Masters is something you shouldn't even be considering now because you need to have graduated with something first before you can even apply for it.

For Honours, yes - you get your result, your WAM is just the average of your marks - and if it's high enough, and you want to, you'll be permitted to take Honours.

General guideline is an average mark/WAM of over 75.

Now on how hard that is to get, I'm in the 80s, while I know others who struggle to get over 70. So it really depends on how you react to the style and method of uni level learning. If you can adapt - fantastic. If not, well...

Rawf

HSC
Masters is something you shouldn't even be considering now because you need to have graduated with something first before you can even apply for it.

For Honours, yes - you get your result, your WAM is just the average of your marks - and if it's high enough, and you want to, you'll be permitted to take Honours.

General guideline is an average mark/WAM of over 75.

Now on how hard that is to get, I'm in the 80s, while I know others who struggle to get over 70. So it really depends on how you react to the style and method of uni level learning. If you can adapt - fantastic. If not, well...
Ahh right. Thanks heaps. I just hope I get into my uni course first haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)